Amawaterways

gbits

Per chance, have any of you avid Oceania cruisers done a river cruise on Ama? The comparison sheet provided by Ama likens its competitor, Viking, to HAL and Ama to Oceania. A river cruise is on my bucket list and I prefer Oceania for ocean cruises ergo I would choose Ama for a river cruise. Any comments/opinions/advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess we are “avid Oceania cruisers.” We have sailed twice on AMA and were very pleased with them. Our only other river cruise was on Scenic and we were not pleased with them. Food and service were poor. AMA food and service were excellent.

However, be aware that river cruises are very different from ocean cruises. We much prefer the latter.

Where you cruise makes a big difference too. Unlike ocean the same line in different areas will be different as will be the rivers. Russia is all on Russian vessels and crew, Duro is very different river experience and city visits than say, the Danube, in Asia all the lines have offerings that are different than Europe, Ama has an amazing 28? pax ship on the Chobe to be combined with pre/post Safaris. I've been looking at river cruises and my excitement of Ama Vietnam & Cambodia itinerary with their pre/post tour rubbed off on friends and they went ahead, and without me :(. Said it was fabulous with amazing hotels, service, etc. That said, this is not a personal recommendation as I've not yet been.

Some credentials - We have sailed 8 times on Oceania - primarily in the Oceania Suites, but also with experiences in the Owners Suite & Penthouse suites. We have also sailed 3 times on AMA - each time in the Owners Suite (Rhine, Rhone & Mekong).

As noted by other posters, the river cruising experience is quite different from ocean cruising. On the river, expect the ship to be docked overnight, with the ship moving locations during the day - typically while you are off on excursions. (The opposite of what happens at sea)

On any river cruise, you should not have any great expectations of high quality entertainment. Typically a musician or cultural group from the town where the ship is docked. However, as the ship is docked overnight, there are also plenty of opportunities to explore the town/city. The ships normally dock in the center of towns, so it typically an easy walk to the local attractions.

At each port, there was typically choice of 2 to 3 excursions. We always found these to be interesting locations with good guides. Compared to sea cruises there was minimal time spent in a bus getting to and from the destination. The boats in Europe have bikes on board, which provide options to undertake private tours around the townships. AMA typically had a "gentle" option for those cruisers who wanted a slightly slower pace (these are very popular!). At times AMA will provide some night time excursions.

Unsurprising, (given the disparity in the size of the vessels), the food choices on AMA are more limited with only one primary dining venue - with options for snacks etc. We found the quality of the food comparable to what you receive in the GDR. However on AMA they make an effort to ensure the menu reflects the cuisine of where the boat is located (as well as the usual options that satisfy diverse dietary needs). Room service is not a option.

Although the service on board AMA is not as "polished" as Oceania, we never had any complaints. A smaller crew also means you get to know the staff much better.

On river cruises there is less of a disparity between the cabins. Although we only cruised in the "upper" cabins on AMA, the difference really equates to the deck (only 3 options). As you are sailing on river (without swells), you will not experience differences in movement based on the location of your cabin. The primary advantage of the "upper" cabins is additional seating options with a sofa etc. Be aware that the view from the lower decks may be more limited - particularly compared to a ship on the open ocean. Similar to Oceania, bedding on AMA is comfortable, similar storage options, and bathrooms fixtures of a comparable standard.

Typically on AMA, most guests congregate in the lounge. There is plenty of space, with options to sit in a quiet corner - or chat with fellow guests over a drink.

It is worth noting that many cruises of AMA Waterways are dominated by clients from Australia & New Zealand (where the cruises are marketed by APT Tours). If you have followed Cynthia's blog describing her cruise circumnavigating Australia, you will have seen her observations about how Aussies & Kiwis are typically easy going and typically create a low stress atmosphere.

I likewise believe that Uniworld is an excellent crossover from Oceania. Great food and service along with a similar dress code as Oceania for dinner.

Also dinner is open seating, meaning one comes in to eat as they pleased. They are not forced into a single , everyone eat each course together, disaster as in Viking and some of the other lines.

It is worth noting that many cruises of AMA Waterways are dominated by clients from Australia & New Zealand (where the cruises are marketed by APT Tours). If you have followed Cynthia's blog describing her cruise circumnavigating Australia, you will have seen her observations about how Aussies & Kiwis are typically easy going and typically create a low stress atmosphere.

I did an APT tour in Vietnam and Cambodia including the Mekong River as well as ocean cruises with Australians, can confirm their generally more laidback attitude.

While ocean cruises are sometimes subject to weather, river cruises are more vulnerable in this regard. Specifically river levels (too high or too low) can be an issue as frequently there are locks to transit and/or bridges to pass under. In some years groups are diverted to land travel to bypass problem areas..

While ocean cruises are sometimes subject to weather, river cruises are more vulnerable in this regard. Specifically river levels (too high or too low) can be an issue as frequently there are locks to transit and/or bridges to pass under. In some years groups are diverted to land travel to bypass problem areas..

We encountered low river levels in Germany on the Rhine. It happens so often that the major river lines (including Viking) have procedures in place to completely swap out ships. On our fourteen day Grand European we switched midcruise to get around a bottleneck in the Regensburg area.

Viking longboats are particularly vulnerable because they pack 190 passengers on each sailing. Lots of extra weight.

River cruises are an interesting change but I didn’t care for the regimentation. Everyone comes and goes on excursions at the same time. Everyone eats dinner at 7pm, etc. Fewer dining and food options.

Viking oceans mirrored some of the river features like an included excursion in every port. However tour times are staggered throughout the day and dining hours span three hours.

I’ve heard good things about AMA but Tauck is outstanding. Uniworld gets high ratings. Oceania cruisers will probably not care for Viking due to uneven food quality and limited menus.

Though this has deviated from the OP's question re: Ama and O, Uniworld could be an especially good choice if the OP is of their target market for their new "U" offerings on two jet-black ships. Appealing to Millennial and Gen X all guests are required to be between 21 and 45 y.o. Counts me out :(

• 2 months later...
Per chance, have any of you avid Oceania cruisers done a river cruise on Ama? The comparison sheet provided by Ama likens its competitor, Viking, to HAL and Ama to Oceania. A river cruise is on my bucket list and I prefer Oceania for ocean cruises ergo I would choose Ama for a river cruise. Any comments/opinions/advice?

My husband and I took our first cruise in 2015 w/ Oceania after extensively evaluating our options. Reasons we chose Oceania: Smaller ships, kid-free, luxe, fabulous reviews, good food. They did not disappoint! We were thrilled with literally every aspect of that cruise. We definitely want to cruise with Oceania again.

We are taking our first river cruise in May with AMA Waterways after extensively evaluating our options. Reasons we chose AMA:

luxe, the double balcony set up, fabulous reviews, good food. (OK, it sounds like we are all about the food but we're really not!) We think it's going to live up to the great reviews.

For what it's worth, for both cruises we looked at a lot of options, did cost comparisons, read a ridiculous number of reviews on multiple websites, etc. We chose Oceania & AMAWaterways. If you pick AMA, I hope you love it!

Where are you planning your river cruise? I have done twice a river cruise to Myanmar with Belmond. Fantastic food and service. They are the ones who manage the Orient Express train. Have a look at their web page. I would repeat those cruises anytime.

Ivi

We wouldn’t decorate our home that way, but lol 😂, we have stayed in French Chateaus, Italian villas, and American Colonial Era B&Bs that have been decorated and outfitted to past eras also. I have eaten in tremendous restaurants that have been decorated very auspiciously to certain decor that didn’t downplay the tastiness of the food at all. Some people prefer the stark warehouse look, which I find as cold and un-inviting.

As this conversation arise frequently on ocean cruises, we are up early and off the ship early, and typically all day, and aren’t around much to look at the boat’s decor. Back to the boat, clean up, a drink at the bar, CD briefing for the next day, off to dinner where we’re drinking wine and chatting with fellow cruisers. Not much time left there for looking at the wallpaper. However, I do realize there are those that only occasionally get off the boat, for short periods, and neither drink wine in the bar or at dinner. Some even insist upon only eating at two tops! Therefore, they spend a lot more time , than I would ever dreamed of, looking at the wallpaper! I could see how Uniworld’s European fleet may not be best for them. Each cruiser must take into account their own lifestyles.

No definitive plans yet, thinking ahead to 2020. We are in our early 50s - love the fact that Ama offers tours for active cruisers but hubby wants to stick with ocean cruises for awhile [emoji3]