Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 04

pierces

We just returned from a four day cruise on the NCL Jade. We only had one port of call and that was Cozumel. Our shore excursion was the Semi-submersible. Since we were introducing an older couple to the world of cruising and the ocean, I thought this would be an excursion they would enjoy. The boat cruised over the reef which provided us with the opportunity to see a wide variety of fish. I was surprised when we came across someone snorkeling the reef. I had to crop those two pictures for better detail. The pictures turned out better than I expected considering they were shot through an underwater window.

Our day started with a spectacular sunrise in Cozumel.

28u4bqp.jpg

2i89edf.jpg

2u75d6o.jpg

29ndwl4.jpg

2568u1w.jpg

xku00n.jpg

Military vehicle "car show"... and trying another free hosting site (I'll probably jinx it though...) 80+ pics and all beyond boring - I just can't get in a groove lately.

This one I like:

08a.jpg

This too, and I'm sure after a ton of PS to remove the palm trees, chain link, "made in china" on the tire, etc. it might be something, but eh...

image.jpg

We just returned from a four day cruise on the NCL Jade. We only had one port of call and that was Cozumel. Our shore excursion was the Semi-submersible. Since we were introducing an older couple to the world of cruising and the ocean, I thought this would be an excursion they would enjoy. The boat cruised over the reef which provided us with the opportunity to see a wide variety of fish. I was surprised when we came across someone snorkeling the reef. I had to crop those two pictures for better detail. The pictures turned out better than I expected considering they were shot through an underwater window.

Our day started with a spectacular sunrise in Cozumel.

28u4bqp.jpg

2i89edf.jpg

2u75d6o.jpg

29ndwl4.jpg

2568u1w.jpg

xku00n.jpg

Great pictures!!

Military vehicle "car show"... and trying another free hosting site (I'll probably jinx it though...) 80+ pics and all beyond boring - I just can't get in a groove lately.

This one I like:

08a.jpg

This too, and I'm sure after a ton of PS to remove the palm trees, chain link, "made in china" on the tire, etc. it might be something, but eh...

image.jpg

I love your pictures.

One of the decision points in our choice of a cruise is itinerary. In this case, the Itinerary was secondary to the ship itself...until I saw that the Kennedy Space Center was one of the excursions listed in Orlando. With my pen hovering over a check box on my Bucket List, I pre-ordered the tour feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas. I grew up with the Space Race, watching every televised launch and bursting with pride as man set foot on the moon. Seeing a real Saturn V up close and personal gave me a bad case of Nerd Tears. So far, this is the most powerful, most complicated machine mankind has ever made and my Dad helped make it. Box checked.

Fly Me To The Moon

p2729037111-5.jpg

Dave

grew up with the Space Race, watching every televised launch and bursting with pride as man set foot on the moon. Seeing a real Saturn V up close and personal gave me a bad case of Nerd Tears. So far, this is the most powerful, most complicated machine mankind has ever made and my Dad helped make it. Box checked.

I did one epic road trip, where we touched three different pieces of moon rock in a week. Houston, Kennedy, DC.

The Kennedy Space Centre was fabulous. Like you, Dave, I grew up with these adventures on the television, and it was a dream come true to see some of the places and look at some of the hardware.

Just quietly, but that is not a real Saturn V. A genuine part of the program, but it couldn't fly and was never intended to do so. It is an engineering mockup, and it is what they used to test the equipment, sites, and procedures rather than have an actual (and expensive) Saturn V tied up.

So, not quite the real deal, but awesome to see it in its size and majesty, for sure!

Great pic, BTW. I found it very difficult to get a good shot when I was there.

Fly Me To The Moon

p2729037111-5.jpg

Dave

A surprise from my wife when we got off a cruise a few years back. Plenty of time to kill before the flight - hopped on the shuttle and the best tour I ever had.

Walking on the orange Apollo gantry was my nerd tear moment!

So, not quite the real deal, but awesome to see it in its size and majesty, for sure!

I did some research before the trip (obsess much, Dave?) and while the first stage was used for static ground fire testing, it is a completely functional unit. The second stage is the unit that was designated for the Apollo 18 launch that never happened. The third stage was originally the third stage for a Saturn 1b, later modified for use on a Saturn V and finally used for testing in the Skylab project. All three units are 100% functional and though two of them were designated for testing, every genuine part is in place. Good enough for me! :) The command/service module up above is a mockup but the one at ground level is an unused unit built for a possible Skylab rescue mission. The LEM on display was originally intended for use on Apollo 15 but it was decided to use a later model when the Apollo 18 and later missions were cancelled.

As I referenced above, my father worked for a company that manufactured some of the cryogenic flow control valves and personally inspected parts that took us to the moon. (I still have a test unit that was presented to him) It really was a moment for me. I can't recommend the tour highly enough and intend to do the one in Houston next time I visit my son there.

Dave

Very cool pics - I've been on vacation at Disney the past week and haven't popped in for a bit, so just catching up. Had some wildlife pics from the week before to share here...

Love the mergansers - always favorites of mine. And the Canaveral shots are very cool - would like to get up there again to see that place as I haven't been since I was 15, and it was different back then! Would have been cool to have photographed the launch yesterday of Falcon Heavy - I actually watched it go up from the Florida Turnpike around Yeehaw Junction while driving back home...more amazing was watching the two boosters return to earth and land in synchronization...how technology changes!

Here are my wildlife shots...

Sora, a small and elusive little bird with a great pattern:

original.jpg

Great blue heron flying by on a misty overcast day:

original.jpg

A red-shouldered hawk zooming past the landscape, on the hunt:

original.jpg

Wood stork flying back to his nest spot with a nice stick to build it up:

original.jpg

Not something you usually see in the Florida wetlands - long pants and sweaters! We've had a few cold fronts pass through this year for a change, and it was nice - I just liked the backlight at the end of this cypress tree tunnel framing the woman:

original.jpg

• 2 weeks later...