Diving in/ around Nassau?

adamrosie

I’m going on a Disney Wonder cruise in December. Ports are Castaway Cay, Key West, and Nassau. Castaway Cay doesn’t have scuba options and we are only in Key West a short time so that leaves Nassau.

Disney does have a 2 tank excursion you can book with them using Stuart’s Cove but their reviews are mediocre.

So here’s my questions:

1) is it “worth it” to dive around Nassau/ New Providence Island (how is the marine life and coral? Not as interested in shipwrecks) and if it IS worth it...

2) who is the best diving company to use? I usually pick from TripAdvisor and go with small groups (6-8 divers max), new equipment, experienced and friendly divemasters and crew, and safe.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've gone with StC several times over the years. Their boats are on the larger side but they are the big dog on the island and their equipment has always been fine IME.

So far as the diving in Nassau (area), I'm not as enthused as L.S. .... often any diving is better than no diving so Nassau is fine by that standard but it usually ain't great. I'm particularly NOT fond of the 'James Bond Movie' site that StC likes to use .... very ho hum IMO and the second dive they use when they go here is even less IMO .... I believe this is a fall back site when conditions are a bit snotty so hopefully you'd go elsewhere .....

• 3 weeks later...

I waited too late to book the ship's tour on our one time in Nassau. DH was not happy. We found Bahama Divers and had a fantastic day. 2 Dive Masters and 5 divers. Diving was good, boat was very nice and equipment appeared to be good (we bring our own). You will have to take a short taxi ride to their shop but I would highly recommend them if you want a more personalized dive experience. We have not used SC so I can't speak to the differences.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
NemoCrownie:

Do you know who you used and a contact phone no. and how much they charged and for how long? Thanks.

We used Bahama Divers: bahamadivers dot com. Prices and dives are on their website. Diving in Nassau is more expensive than much of the Caribbean but they were very good and we enjoyed our day.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk