What must I eat on the Sirena?

honeymoon cruiser 614

Well, for one thing the specialty restaurant menus are pretty well set. There have been occasional menu changes over the years, but not many.

The GDR menu DOES change daily ... so it's very hard to recommend something there since we don't know what will be on the menu on any night.

For me, I love the prime rib in Polo. We used to get wonderful mussels in Jacques as an appetizer, but they cancelled that one. My guess: it was too hard top find them at various parts of the world so they just chacked them.

There is a wonderful pork chop in Jacques and Polo ... and DH always likes the filet in Polo. I like the veal chop in Toscana. Jacques is our favorite specialty on Marina/Riviera ... it's hard to go wrong there (although recently some people have claimed they did) ... we were on Marina in November and Jacques was wonderful for our two meals there. How much is "yes, they really have gone down in quality" or "it's just not our taste". That's hard if not impossible to calculate!

I've had wonderful leg of lamb dishes in the GDR but you never know when that will be on the menu ...

Hope this helps.

(We aren't Red Ginger fans so I'm not making any suggestions from personal experience. There are certain dishes that many people love ... if you do a search you should fine them. I think the sea bass is one.)

Mura

For me there is the veal chop in Toscana and the variations on Eggs Benedict in the Terrace. My DH always goes for the prime rib in Polo and lobster anywhere in any preparation.

But my favorite indulgence comes with a warning which I recently posted on another thread: Go to the gym, do not pass go, do not collect $200! The bread basket that comes to the table in every venue is not to be missed. There are pastry chefs (3 on R ships, ? on O ships) who begin baking every day at 3 a.m. Using flour from a single source in France, they make all croissants, sticky buns, bread sticks, a variety of dinner rolls, seeded crackers, etc. (Bagels being the exception) I deny myself bread in any form on a daily basis just so I can enjoy the worthwhile experience of beautifully baked breads. They really are that special.

Honeymooner, perhaps the problem is that just because WE like certain dishes doesn't mean you will!

Just saying ...

As to Waves, I've liked just anything I've ordered there ... especially the Smoothies! My favorite is the Mango Something ...

Mura

Hi Mura -

Yes, I can't imagine I will love everything that is recommended but I always try to ask people who are more knowledgeable than me for advice (since I haven't traveled on Oceania and a lot of you are returning cruisers). If I don't think I'll like it,I won't get it but if I hear a recommendation over and over again...well maybe there is something to it! Thanks again!

Mura, you might enjoy Red Ginger on Sirena. We didn't like Red Ginger on Riviera or Marina, but loved it on Sirena. And the Miso Sea Bass was as terrific as so many others have said. I also adore the tea there - think it's white peach. I swiped extra tea bags (triangles actually) to take home with me.

We also enjoy almost anything freshly grilled from the Terrace Cafe grill station.

Mura, you might enjoy Red Ginger on Sirena. We didn't like Red Ginger on Riviera or Marina, but loved it on Sirena. And the Miso Sea Bass was as terrific as so many others have said. I also adore the tea there - think it's white peach. I swiped extra tea bags (triangles actually) to take home with me.

We also enjoy almost anything freshly grilled from the Terrace Cafe grill station.

Actually, we did. I thought I'd said so. It was far better than RG on the other ships -- although we had a lovely dinner with our TA on Marina a few years ago when she pre-ordered the meal.

We also like the grilled meat from Terrace ... but better on the big ships than on the littler ones.

Mura

Have to say that Red Ginger was a MEH for us in May and June. As was most of the food. Sorry to be a downer but our cruise on Sirena almost put us off O forever. Giving O one more try....

We’re on Sirena in May. Our first sailing with Oceania.

What foods /entrees would you specifically recommend to avoid?:eek:

Hi!

I looked through the past postings but some are quite old. From people who have cruised Oceania recently, what the must eat dishes that we have to try this summer on our cruise? I want to make sure to take full advantage of the yummy food available! Thanks!

The question your asking is not possible to answer. In truth there is nothing. Nothing/ Really? Everything depends on you and your tastes and likes. What I or any other person recommends is really only applicable to me or them.

Unless someone is paying you to dine on certain things and expects a report, Or your trying to impress someone why would you depend on anyone to order for you??? Would you want me to contact the ship and set up for you every meal for you? I think not. Be confident in yourself and select what you like, It will change every day.

Go to the ship, knowing its the finest food afloat , and see what strikes you each meal. . Enjoy the delight of discovery . Along these lines some of the finest restaurants ( Michelin ***) offer tasting menus where the chef selects 4 of 5 courses, not you, with wines that are matched by them,not you, . This is one of the great pleasures one can have in dining...being surprised and discovering things..

Its all too common for people want to control every aspect of a cruise , dining, touring down to the finest detail... They are, in my opinion cheating themselves terribly from pleasures un expected and exciting. Let go and enjoy each day for what it is.

The question your asking is not possible to answer. In truth there is nothing. Nothing/ Really? Everything depends on you and your tastes and likes. What I or any other person recommends is really only applicable to me or them.

Unless someone is paying you to dine on certain things and expects a report, Or your trying to impress someone why would you depend on anyone to order for you??? Would you want me to contact the ship and set up for you every meal for you? I think not. Be confident in yourself and select what you like, It will change every day.

Go to the ship, knowing its the finest food afloat , and see what strikes you each meal. . Enjoy the delight of discovery . Along these lines some of the finest restaurants ( Michelin ***) offer tasting menus where the chef selects 4 of 5 courses, not you, with wines that are matched by them,not you, . This is one of the great pleasures one can have in dining...being surprised and discovering things..

Its all too common for people want to control every aspect of a cruise , dining, touring down to the finest detail... They are, in my opinion cheating themselves terribly from pleasures un expected and exciting. Let go and enjoy each day for what it is.

Does Sirena offer a Chefs Table dinner?

Does Sirena offer a Chefs Table dinner?

No....you have 4 different meal choices and venue daily No demonstration kitchen,. On Marina and Riviera they offer La Reserve, for 20 people a fixed 6 course dinner with matched wine. about 40 to 60$ pp( if you have the liquor package you can deduct 20% of that)

They also offer cooking classes where you cook it is a 2 hour class.

The chef table is offered on other lines as a revenue enhancer for $$$ for their already $$$ extra charge restaurants, ( in my opinion none of which come close to O's food)

On Riviera and marina for lunch, they have a tasting menu for various parts of the world.

It is a sampler for two in a turntable.

If you are adventurous, try it.

We will be on sirena in April.

I see they have something similar.

It looks like this:

Our executive chef

invites you to enjoy the

FLAVORS OF SPAIN

ibérico de bellota cold cuts

beef albondigas

manchego tostada con tomate

gambas al ajillo

pulpo a la gallega

valencian spinach, orange salad

Dan, La Reserve is a LOT more expensive than $40-60 per person! We still feel it's worth it. We enjoy the meal and the wines, and the company has always been most enjoyable. The menus and costs should be at the website if people are interested in more details.

As to another question about "what should I eat (or avoid)" on fill-in-the-name-of-the-ship: I will recommend what I like and maybe even say what I don't like, but don't expect everyone to agree with me. Unless I know someone and their likes and dislikes, it's really impossible to recommend either way.

When I see a rave (or out-and-out criticism) about a particular dish, I factor in my general likes and dislikes ... if you rave about the fabulous scallops, know for sure that I will avoid them no matter how great you thought they were! (Of course, I've been on Oceania ships often enough to know that in general I'm very happy with whatever I am eating.) And I haven't found much difference from one ship to another.

Then again ... if a new executive chef comes on board and suddenly the food tastes different ...

Mura

On Marina and Riviera they offer La Reserve, for 20 people a fixed 6 course dinner with matched wine. about 40 to 60$ pp( if you have the liquor package you can deduct 20% of that)

Mura is quite right that the dinners are a lot more expensive. According to a Cruise Critic website La Reserve accommodates 24 guests and charges from $95. to $165. per person depending upon the set menu for the evening.

Mura is quite right that the dinners are a lot more expensive. According to a Cruise Critic website La Reserve accommodates 24 guests and charges from $95. to $165. per person depending upon the set menu for the evening.

Still a “steal” when compared to a similar dinner on Crystal for $450/pp :D