Cruising with a cheapskate: Review of NCL Epic 3/31-4/7 2018

drewsmom123

The DH and I love to cruise!! He is one of the cheapest men on the planet and I love to experience everything without regard to price. I tell you this so that you will know why I am adding yet another review to the CC database. I spend hours searching the boards to make sure we are getting the best experience for our dollar and I hope to write a review that will appeal to others out there in my situation. It will be long and very detailed.

view?usp=sharing

I will begin at the very beginning of this process and hope to give advice on all aspects of this trip. It will not be live during the cruise (because we do not pay for ship wifi, we’re cheap, remember) however, I hope to finish it shortly after we return.

For this trip, we kinda decided last minute what we wanted to do. This will be our 8th cruise, 2nd on NCL, 1 on RC, 6 on Carnival. I wanted to do the Panama Canal, but DH “couldn’t” (he is self-employed, I just rolled my eyes) be gone for 10 days, so we decided we would try a BIG ship.

I started looking at about 60 days out- we had a specific week we needed to go (spring break-I’m a school teacher) and settled on when and where at around 45 days out. We researched other big ships and decided on the Epic due to it porting in Orlando (9-hour drive for us). I booked through Expedia and got an extra $25 OBC, a bottle of wine, and chocolate covered strawberries, more than NCL perks.

We did book the UBP, a first for us. We aren’t heavy drinkers and have always been able to bring our own soda on board. With the soda, we carried on and the worry of a “we confiscated something from your luggage” letter (I know shame on me), we have always made do. However, NCL doesn’t allow you to bring soda (therefore no mixers) so we thought we would give it a try. Now, remember, I told you that DH is a cheapskate, so in the decision to go with the UBP he had to figure out how many drinks we had to have per day to come out ahead. I just went with $1000 for 7 nights (that is pp with all taxes, port fees, UBP gratuities) - I will definitely come out ahead- all I can eat, drink, sleep (with maid service), play, and be entertained for a little more than $150 a day. I would spend more than that on 1 day at Dollywood (the local theme park) and still have to make my own bed. :)

We have always booked the cheapest inside rooms available. Almost always this involves the cruise line picking your room, which has never been a problem. Actually, on our last Carnival cruise, we were given a porthole room that was the 2nd from the front of the ship- it was huge. So true to form I booked an inside- they pick the room. We will be in 12290, category ID.

I have researched NCL inside cabins and that specific room. I do not have high expectations. I know that it will be miniscule, dirty, noisy, smelly, and I will be embarrassed by having to shower in front of my DH of 27 years. Those are the adjectives I found in other reviews, but we’ll see. :o

We are now at 33 days out. I joined a FB page for the cruise as well as the CC roll call. I know when and where our CC meet and greet is. I have reserved spots at the shows in which booking is available pre-cruise. I made reservations in one of the MDRs every night, we will probably end up canceling most of those, but I have them ready if I need them. DH doesn’t like to stop everything to get dressed up, but I think that is part of the fun so he has to make me happy a couple of nights. I have printed off all our paperwork- at which time I discovered DH didn’t have any Latitudes points, so I had to remedy that. I also made sure to print off all reservations as well as any perks that we should be getting. (y)

I have started planning what we will do at each port. Right now the plan is: GSC- up early so we can be in the sun and fun as long as we want (free drinks with UBP will be nice) free lunch- need to book tender early

Ocho Rios- I have contacted Peat Townsend tours and will probably be doing their tubing and Blue Hole tour $60, Peat told us to bring as many friends as we wanted so I hope to collect some people to join us- everything is more fun with friends. We will take snacks and go back to the ship for lunch (cheap remember- in 7 cruises DH has only bought 1 meal off the ship and we shared that one) need to book tender early

Grand Cayman- snorkeling at Eden Rock dive center- a short walk from ship $14, take snacks, do some shopping in town, we’ve been here before and will try to visit a different section of town than before, back to the ship for lunch. Need to book tender

Cozumel- we visited there on our last cruise- we rented a moped from a street vendor ($25) and spent the day on the back side of the island. There are some great bars with hammocks and fresh fruit drinks- no credit cards. It is beautiful. We may only get off in Cozumel for a little shopping trip. I like port days on the ship. Not worried about tender- we’ll play it by ear.

That is probably enough for you to digest today. I will add some more in a few days, just in case anyone decides to read on.

Hi, I’ll be on this cruise too! Very much looking forward to it and like you booked rather recently. We too booked a guarantee balcony and were thrilled when we were assigned a B1, aft facing balcony. No worries about tenders in Ocho Rios and Cozumel we should be docked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The DH and I love to cruise!! He is one of the cheapest men on the planet and I love to experience everything without regard to price. I tell you this so that you will know why I am adding yet another review to the CC database. I spend hours searching the boards to make sure we are getting the best experience for our dollar and I hope to write a review that will appeal to others out there in my situation. It will be long and very detailed.

view?usp=sharing

I will begin at the very beginning of this process and hope to give advice on all aspects of this trip. It will not be live during the cruise (because we do not pay for ship wifi, we’re cheap, remember) however, I hope to finish it shortly after we return.

For this trip, we kinda decided last minute what we wanted to do. This will be our 8th cruise, 2nd on NCL, 1 on RC, 6 on Carnival. I wanted to do the Panama Canal, but DH “couldn’t” (he is self-employed, I just rolled my eyes) be gone for 10 days, so we decided we would try a BIG ship.

I started looking at about 60 days out- we had a specific week we needed to go (spring break-I’m a school teacher) and settled on when and where at around 45 days out. We researched other big ships and decided on the Epic due to it porting in Orlando (9-hour drive for us). I booked through Expedia and got an extra $25 OBC, a bottle of wine, and chocolate covered strawberries, more than NCL perks.

We did book the UBP, a first for us. We aren’t heavy drinkers and have always been able to bring our own soda on board. With the soda, we carried on and the worry of a “we confiscated something from your luggage” letter (I know shame on me), we have always made do. However, NCL doesn’t allow you to bring soda (therefore no mixers) so we thought we would give it a try. Now, remember, I told you that DH is a cheapskate, so in the decision to go with the UBP he had to figure out how many drinks we had to have per day to come out ahead. I just went with $1000 for 7 nights (that is pp with all taxes, port fees, UBP gratuities) - I will definitely come out ahead- all I can eat, drink, sleep (with maid service), play, and be entertained for a little more than $150 a day. I would spend more than that on 1 day at Dollywood (the local theme park) and still have to make my own bed. :)

We have always booked the cheapest inside rooms available. Almost always this involves the cruise line picking your room, which has never been a problem. Actually, on our last Carnival cruise, we were given a porthole room that was the 2nd from the front of the ship- it was huge. So true to form I booked an inside- they pick the room. We will be in 12290, category ID.

I have researched NCL inside cabins and that specific room. I do not have high expectations. I know that it will be miniscule, dirty, noisy, smelly, and I will be embarrassed by having to shower in front of my DH of 27 years. Those are the adjectives I found in other reviews, but we’ll see. :o

We are now at 33 days out. I joined a FB page for the cruise as well as the CC roll call. I know when and where our CC meet and greet is. I have reserved spots at the shows in which booking is available pre-cruise. I made reservations in one of the MDRs every night, we will probably end up canceling most of those, but I have them ready if I need them. DH doesn’t like to stop everything to get dressed up, but I think that is part of the fun so he has to make me happy a couple of nights. I have printed off all our paperwork- at which time I discovered DH didn’t have any Latitudes points, so I had to remedy that. I also made sure to print off all reservations as well as any perks that we should be getting. (y)

I have started planning what we will do at each port. Right now the plan is: GSC- up early so we can be in the sun and fun as long as we want (free drinks with UBP will be nice) free lunch- need to book tender early

Ocho Rios- I have contacted Peat Townsend tours and will probably be doing their tubing and Blue Hole tour $60, Peat told us to bring as many friends as we wanted so I hope to collect some people to join us- everything is more fun with friends. We will take snacks and go back to the ship for lunch (cheap remember- in 7 cruises DH has only bought 1 meal off the ship and we shared that one) need to book tender early

Grand Cayman- snorkeling at Eden Rock dive center- a short walk from ship $14, take snacks, do some shopping in town, we’ve been here before and will try to visit a different section of town than before, back to the ship for lunch. Need to book tender

Cozumel- we visited there on our last cruise- we rented a moped from a street vendor ($25) and spent the day on the back side of the island. There are some great bars with hammocks and fresh fruit drinks- no credit cards. It is beautiful. We may only get off in Cozumel for a little shopping trip. I like port days on the ship. Not worried about tender- we’ll play it by ear.

That is probably enough for you to digest today. I will add some more in a few days, just in case anyone decides to read on.

Dirty? smelly? Have to shower in front of your husband?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok drewsmom. I read your thread because you were reviewing a cruise not yet on the water so it got my curiosity. And then you had me trapped with your humor and love for your penny watching husband. But you really had me at the cost of a day at Dollywood. I live close enough to hear their train whistle and unfortunately, their two month long summer fireworks. My poor dog. Anyway, not on your cruise or ship, but look forward to your review as it will certainly be an entertaining read. Enjoy the cruise. We sail our first NCL on Breakaway in a little over three months.

Ok drewsmom. I read your thread because you were reviewing a cruise not yet on the water so it got my curiosity. And then you had me trapped with your humor and love for your penny watching husband. But you really had me at the cost of a day at Dollywood. I live close enough to hear their train whistle and unfortunately, their two month long summer fireworks. My poor dog. Anyway, not on your cruise or ship, but look forward to your review as it will certainly be an entertaining read. Enjoy the cruise. We sail our first NCL on Breakaway in a little over three months.

I hope you enjoy my ramblings. I will probably reference other local attractions that you recognize. We live in S Knoxville

Hi, I’ll be on this cruise too! Very much looking forward to it and like you booked rather recently. We too booked a guarantee balcony and were thrilled when we were assigned a B1, aft facing balcony. No worries about tenders in Ocho Rios and Cozumel we should be docked.

Great, I hope we run into each other on our trip. :D

I hope you enjoy my ramblings. I will probably reference other local attractions that you recognize. We live in S Knoxville

Now, if they would only move Country Tonite to our cruise ship, my cruise would be perfect :D

We will be on Epic on the 17th. We are “cheapskate” too, which is why we moved to Florida so that we can afford the balcony life. ;)

Now, if they would only move Country Tonite to our cruise ship, my cruise would be perfect :D

We will be on Epic on the 17th. We are “cheapskate” too, which is why we moved to Florida so that we can afford the balcony life. ;)

I don't know if the cruising world is quite ready for Bubba and crew.

I will be embarrassed by having to shower in front of my DH of 27 years.

If you are embarrassed, just pull the privacy curtain that separates the shower area from the rest of the room. Problem solved. We've sailed on the Epic 7 times and love the ship. We hope that you will grow to love her too.

I don't know if the cruising world is quite ready for Bubba and crew.

We love Bubba. Lived next door to them before we both built houses in different neighborhoods. Their son is in college now. Next time we see them, we can tell them the cruising world is calling them.

You might want to be careful taking food ashore. On our last cruise to Panama it seems that at every stop we were warned that we were not allowed to take any food ashore.

Yes they do tell you not to take it off and some places check. If they find it they just make you throw it away. I always make sure we eat it or take it back with me.

If you are embarrassed, just pull the privacy curtain that separates the shower area from the rest of the room. Problem solved. We've sailed on the Epic 7 times and love the ship. We hope that you will grow to love her too.

I was really being sarcastic about the negative reviews that are out there. I'm not easily embarrassed.

We love Bubba. Lived next door to them before we both built houses in different neighborhoods. Their son is in college now. Next time we see them, we can tell them the cruising world is calling them.

I love Bubba too! They put on such a great show. I'll definitely being comparing the high production shows to our local ones.

Lol you guys reminded me of that Russell Peters bit about being cheap.

When someone calls you (and me), cheap, instead of being offended, you go "Cheap? Why thank you for noticing."

The DH is proud of his status. He would wear a badge if I would let him.

I knew that about Cozumel, but it had slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder. Enjoy your balcony.

Just wanted to drop in and say “Hey neighbor!” I’m in Maryville :) I don’t have another cruise booked until October, so I’m currently living vicariously through everyone else’s reviews. Hope you have a great trip!

We grew up in Maryville, I also read reviews to live vicariously and dream of the day.