French Polynesia South Pacific

Heartfelttraveler

We got off the Marina 12 day FP cruise this morning; captain completely rearranged the itinerary the night before the cruise to avoid a cyclone and chase good weather. Great decision, as we had practically no rain.

The cruise before us had major rain every day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I was on 2 segments of the ATW 2016, in the South Pacific end of May and into June. It was hot and humid, with very little rain. Seas were fine. It was heaven!

Sounds like we might be doing the same cruise this year. We do Sydney-Papeete followed by Papeete-LA in May/June. So pleased you loved it. Hope we do too!

Heartfelttraveler, I have been struggling with this decision for the past few weeks. We are booked in the 12 day RT Papeete cruise leaving on February 12, 2019. I was reading about the February 3 cruise and all the rain they had and wondering whether to put off this bucket list trip. As you note, Oceania only sails French Polynesia during the first 3 months of the year. Checked prices on Gauguin for fall and it would cost us thousands more. If I wait a few years we may be able to afford that, but I would hate to cancel and find that like the other February cruise next years cruise has great weather. Wish I had a crystal ball [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oceania cruises FP during their summer when rain is more frequent. We were told that the rains this year were heavier than normal in some parts of FP and less in others. We had beautiful weather for the Lima-Papeete cruise this January except for the last day in Papeete. One can’t predict the weather so you take your chances. We had friends who went on the Gauguin trip in early January, and they had great weather too. However, they told us that the ship is older and showing wear and that the food was not as good or varied as Oceania.

Papeete to Papeete at the end of Jan 2014 was our first cruise on O and the one that made us chose O again. We went with our fingers crossed because the year before (maybe their first year there), Jan-Mar cruises had a lot of rainy days. We had one rainy day and it was a sea day. In other words, it is a crap shoot those months but it is hot without being too hot to enjoy. I still remember sitting on our balcony (we are cheap about cabins but FP is a nice place to have a balcony) every day after trivia having a drink while looking at the open sea or sometimes other islands. All the cruises are not repositioning cruises. I mention the balcony because on our other 2 O cruises in Europe though the weather was good, it was too windy or cool to enjoy them much. It was also always warm enough and not too windy to enjoy eating outside in FP.

Edited by tvmovielover
To add something else.

Sept and October are the best months and there is nothing to compare to experiencing French Polynesia on the Paul Gauguin.

Let me add. We have 15 cruises on oceania. We love the line. But I would never go to fp on oceania. We just booked a 14 night cruise on the pg for sept 2019 and 3 other oceania cruiser couples will join us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

We sailed February 3rd. On our 10 day cruise it rained for 10 days. We had a few hours of sun a couple of times. This picture sums it up.

I guess it is just how you hit it. We sailed Feb. 3rd about 3 years ago from PPT to Sydney and the weather was great almost every day. 3 days in Moorea before and 2 days in PPT with the only real rain was a half day in PPT. Never know with the weather.

Grits;

We are signed up for that 2/12/19 cruise on the Marina likewise. Here’s hoping for good weather!

Looks like a great cruise but just not long enough for the long travel time we have to get there. Also do not see where the Marina is going at the end of this cruise. Nothing on web site.

RBJ;

The Marina has a charter on the backend of our cruise, so no help there. The cruise before ours is a shorter 10 day cruise hitting most of the same closer in islands.

We have decided to fly in early and spend several days on either Moorea or Bora Bora in one of those over the water, dive in, swim out cabins for 4-5 days to justify the long flights. Make a 12 day cruise part of a 17-18 day vacation.

RBJ;

The Marina has a charter on the backend of our cruise, so no help there. The cruise before ours is a shorter 10 day cruise hitting most of the same closer in islands.

We have decided to fly in early and spend several days on either Moorea or Bora Bora in one of those over the water, dive in, swim out cabins for 4-5 days to justify the long flights. Make a 12 day cruise part of a 17-18 day vacation.

Thought so. We did 3 days in Moorea and 2 in PPT before our last cruise. Over the water huts great. Intercont. both places. Did Moorea first and then took ferry back so it was very easy to get to the ship on the day it sailed. Just a fifteen min. taxi. No stress. :):):)

Jean;

We just signed up for the cruise while aboard the ship . Having just gotten home from the cruise and Angar Wat extension late Saturday, I haven’t had time to sign up on the Roll Call. I’ll get that done probably tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm on Marina right now in French Polynesia. The weather couldn't be better. Sunshine and warm (hot) weather. But I'm only 3 days in....if it changes I'll post again.

Thanks for the info! We board Marina after your cruise for a B2B.

In January 2016, we were on Marina from Valparaiso to Papeete, including Easter Island. Had fabulous weather for this great cruise. That's why we are returning next week.:D

We were on in March a couple of years ago. It was too hot to enjoy. We have also done this cruise on Gaugin and October is the only time of the year that it is really nice.

Yep, that was an exceptionally hot time. I really couldn't take it on the stops before FP, especially Samoa. Anything over 105 is just too hot for me.

We got off the Marina 12 day FP cruise this morning; captain completely rearranged the itinerary the night before the cruise to avoid a cyclone and chase good weather. Great decision, as we had practically no rain.

The cruise before us had major rain every day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We are on Marina at the moment and having a great time .

We got on Feb 13 and doing the 12 day and 10 day b2b leaving ship March 7.

Aside from a couple of short rain showers the weather has been great , mid to high 20 c , but quite humid , we are in the tropics after all .

As already reported the 12 day cruise was rearranged to avoid the bad weather , same ports , different order , a great decision.

The problem during the months in question (December through March) is not so much the temperature (which remains fairly constant year-round) or the rain. It's the HUMIDITY. I was there in March a few years back and nearly melted. Our last trip was in July and the difference was amazing (in a good way).

We are on Marina at the moment and having a great time .

We got on Feb 13 and doing the 12 day and 10 day b2b leaving ship March 7.

Aside from a couple of short rain showers the weather has been great , mid to high 20 c , but quite humid , we are in the tropics after all .

As already reported the 12 day cruise was rearranged to avoid the bad weather , same ports , different order , a great decision.

We were on the poorly passenger cruise in January,so it is so good to hear you are all fine,healthy and having a great time,Thanks for posting.

We've been back now 8 days since the Feb. 13 cruise, P-P. It was our first cruise with O and we did have a good time. However, in our opinion the ports were a big disappointment. Our expectations were higher but we still made it work especially when one considers the long flights. We felt very fortunate that the weather for us was awesome, even with the high humidity. I would struggle to recommend this cruise in comparison to all the other amazing cruises we've been on. Fortunately, we were with two of our best friends and it all worked out and I'm glad we have had the experience.