Arranging independent sightseeing

ptiprof

We are looking forward to our first American Cruise lines voyage in April—the Revolutionary War itinerary. We rarely take bus excursions when we travel, usually arranging private tours or using taxis etc. to get to where we want to go. This time, however, we are finding it impossible to find out our actual itinerary for the trip which makes it difficult to make any independent arrangements. The day to day itinerary on the website is different from what we received in our pre-cruise documents. Both my travel agent and I called their customer service department and both of us were told that we would find out our actual day to day locations and times AFTER we were onboard. Do most ACL cruisers tend to take the ship excursions? Can anyone tell us if this mystery itinerary situation is what you have experienced and if you found it possible to make arrangements ahead of time? Thank you for any information you can share.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found the same thing on the Columbia/Snake River cruise. My guess it has to do with several unknowns that they can't predict until a few days before the cruise. These may include, docking locations, river conditions, lock schedules.

I found the same thing on the Columbia/Snake River cruise. My guess it has to do with several unknowns that they can't predict until a few days before the cruise. These may include, docking locations, river conditions, lock schedules.

That does make sense although it complicates planning excursions ahead of time.

Mike:)

Thank you for the replies. This is a new or fairly new itinerary for American Cruise Lines, so your explanation of their not having some information ahead of time makes sense. I've just never run across this situation, and we have sailed on eleven different ocean cruise lines and two different river cruise lines. Luckily, the historical locations are close together as are the various towns so Uber should work well.