Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 10

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 5 and Sunday, March 11.

I thought I'd add a brief Q&A on this series of threads for any new visitors.

Q. What are the rules?

A. The photo must be taken between and including the dates in the title. That's it. Any camera type or make, including phones, is just fine.

Q. What is the purpose of these threads?

A. This series was started several years ago to encourage people to use their cameras for more than vacation and birthday party snaps. It is loosely based on the theory that practice makes perfect (good is ok ;) ) and taking photos can be a lot of fun.

Q. I'm new to this. How do I post pictures?

A. There is a long-standing thread on the subject here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

If you don't want to plow through the pages looking for answers, just post your question at the end. Mentioning your hosting site (SmugMug, Flickr, etc.) helps those who can help you to post a better answer. If you don't have a hosting site, just ask for suggestions.

Q. Is there a winner?

A. Yes. You. Getting your camera out and learning how to take better photos is just plain good for the soul! Free therapy!

Happy Shooting!

Dave

Dave, this was very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write and post this and for organizing these threads weekly.

Keith

My pleasure, sir!

This project has been a whole lot of fun for me and sharing my enthusiasm for photography seems more productive than posting cat videos and recipes over on Facebook. :D

Dave

Pictured here is the camera that led me into the shining future of digital photography. It did it by quietly deciding not to open its shutter for 14 out of 20 rolls of film shot during a trans-canal cruise in 2000. It was the first time I ever had a camera ruin photos (I was usually to blame) and it was pretty traumatic. After a sad, photo-free year of re-thinking the future of my favorite hobby, I looked into the still-new world of digital imaging found a Kodak DC4800 that had enough resolution (3.3MP) to make decent prints and actually had great color. I could also check to see if a photo came out then and there. Imagine that. I have not exposed a frame of film since.

The Trigger

p2775443898-5.jpg

Dave

It was the first time I ever had a camera ruin photos (I was usually to blame) and it was pretty traumatic.

Dave

My traumatic story: Hundreds (thousands?) of slides stored at our then-home in Manoa Valley, Honolulu, The weather there can be humid and mold, fungus etc attacked the slides.

Had the slides converted to CDs and started to salvage the photos with Photoshop.

Many lost with computer HD or CD failures.

Latest project: scanning the print photos which have faded!

After a long winter of hibernation (and no cruises) I've been using good weather days to test lenses for an upcoming ABC's cruise.

Today was a pleasant day with clear skies and I had a couple of willing models. So we went out to take a few test shots with my 16-28 zoom.

40672374212_856fe53e83_b.jpg

38904773940_67a8869043_b.jpg

25843650317_4b4ab1c617_b.jpg

38905126700_0e6cca10b2_b.jpg

40715032331_d5344e7b71_b.jpg

I missed focus on a few of the shots....Note to self...f2.8 and shooting low using live view. It's hard to get correct focus on a model that wants to do her own thing.

I was living in Okinawa Japan when I was forced into the digital age. My trusty Olympus *****-10 couldn't take the sand, humidity, and salt air of living near the beach. Even in Japan repair cost were more than the camera was worth. So I opted the next best thing to film....The 3.5 inch floppy disc.

My first digital was a wonderful 1.6 mega pixel Sony FD Mavica FD-92. But I did upgrade a little later to a 5 mega pixel Sony F707. Believe it or not I still have both and they are still working.

I do have a hard time finding film for the the FD-92. It's fun to think back to those days. Thanks Dave.

Mark

I love the kitty cat photos.

Last week I posted a photo of the spring flowers breaking through the ground and now this week…

2i05i1f.jpg

The weatherman said the ground and air temperature would be too warm for the snow to stick to the ground…wrong again bucko!

Wow - some far and wide travels this week's thread - Zion, California mountains, U.S. Capital, and more. Plus some birds and cute cats. And an old SLR. What diversity!

I actually still have my first film SLR ever - my dad bought it for me in 1977 new, a Pentax ME Super...still works (though the battery for the meter is long dead, good old mechanical cameras still snap away). I also still have three other SLR bodies stored away, since I still occasionally play with the lenses on my E-mount. My first digital camera is gone - the 1MP Sony Mavica FD91. My second-ever digital camera is also gone - the Sony F717, traded in years ago. But I do still have some of my vintage digital gear, including my first ultracompact - the adorable Sony U20 which to this day still looks cool in electric blue...my old H5 superzoom...and my last DSLR, the Sony A580...still hanging around as a backup, or if I ever just feel inspired to pull it out again.

This weekend, I went out birding on Saturday, and caught a few nice experiences...

A great blue heron soaring by in a nice blue sky:

original.jpg

A mega-cool moment was spotting this small hawk perched deep in the forest - on closer inspection I realized it was a sharp-shinned hawk - a rare sighting around here. In fact, I've only seen one 3 other times in 12 years - all three times were terrible photos, barely good enough to ID - the most recent prior sighting was in February 2015. This time, he was practically posing for me:

original.jpg

He spotted something, and went into hawk mode - piercing eye, pointing head and neck, ready to fly off:

original.jpg

An adorable pied-billed grebe chick - probably around 1 1/2 to 2 months old here:

original.jpg

I'm not normally a flower photographer, but walking through the wetlands, I found this lovely wild lily really standing out against all the green reeds and decided it was worth a shot:

original.jpg

Wow - some far and wide travels this week's thread - Zion, California mountains, U.S. Capital, and more. Plus some birds and cute cats. And an old SLR. What diversity!

I actually still have my first film SLR ever - my dad bought it for me in 1977 new, a Pentax ME Super...still works (though the battery for the meter is long dead, good old mechanical cameras still snap away). I also still have three other SLR bodies stored away, since I still occasionally play with the lenses on my E-mount. My first digital camera is gone - the 1MP Sony Mavica FD91. My second-ever digital camera is also gone - the Sony F717, traded in years ago. But I do still have some of my vintage digital gear, including my first ultracompact - the adorable Sony U20 which to this day still looks cool in electric blue...my old H5 superzoom...and my last DSLR, the Sony A580...still hanging around as a backup, or if I ever just feel inspired to pull it out again.

This weekend, I went out birding on Saturday, and caught a few nice experiences...

original.jpg

A mega-cool moment was spotting this small hawk perched deep in the forest - on closer inspection I realized it was a sharp-shinned hawk - a rare sighting around here. In fact, I've only seen one 3 other times in 12 years - all three times were terrible photos, barely good enough to ID - the most recent prior sighting was in February 2015. This time, he was practically posing for me:

original.jpg

He spotted something, and went into hawk mode - piercing eye, pointing head and neck, ready to fly off:

original.jpg

An adorable pied-billed grebe chick - probably around 1 1/2 to 2 months old here:

original.jpg

I'm not normally a flower photographer, but walking through the wetlands, I found this lovely wild lily really standing out against all the green reeds and decided it was worth a shot:

original.jpg

Wow! Great photography!

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Gorgeous! You should tell us beginners how to take such beautiful photos (settings, etc.)