Never Purchased Before - When is the Proper time

olemissreb

I've never purchased travel insurance before. I know better than to purchase from the cruise line and I have priced it in the past but ended up not purchasing. I put the deposit on my Sept. 2019 cruise in December 2017. What date do I use for insurance purposes (I thought is was the day you put down the deposit)? And don't you have to purchase the insurance within a certain time frame of putting down the deposit if that is the date? Can I still purchase insurance up to the date of final payment if needed?

All of this is just so confusing to me. Thanks for all the help.

For the most part, there are only 2 reasons why you need to buy your insurance within X (usually 14 to 21) number of days after deposit.

1. To include coverage of pre-exsisting conditions.

2. To include Cancel For Any Reason coverage.

Otherwise, I think you can wait until a couple of days prior to departure. (Not sure about this part)

You can go to

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

Or

http://www.insuremytrip.com

for more information.

Thanks. I was wondering about the Cancel for Any Reason clause mainly. Guess I may be outside the window of time for that one.

Not sure who you are cruising with but most cruise line insurance includes the Cancel For Any Reason.

Just understand that Cancel For Any Reason on "most" policies only refunds in the form of a credit towards a future cruise with the same cruise line of course. This "credit" is usually only about 75% of what you paid. Princess Platinum is the only policy that I'm aware of that offers a 100% credit.

Thanks. I was wondering about the Cancel for Any Reason clause mainly. Guess I may be outside the window of time for that one.

Did you contact TripInsuranceStore as suggested (or another broker)?

If so, you should have found out that there are several "windows", and for those who miss the early window (usually 10-20 days after first payment/deposit, depending upon insurer/policy type), there is another window from other insurers, which can be within 24 hours of the final payment (defined narrowly, for obvious reasons).

This latter type may have a bit lower limits or be a bit more expensive (especially if one wants the CFAR, but the waiver of exclusion of pre-existing medical conditions isn't typically much more expensive), but the coverage IS available.

That's why it is so helpful to work with a travel insurance broker who is familiar with the policies of several/many different insurers.

Good luck.

GC

Did you contact TripInsuranceStore as suggested (or another broker)?

If so, you should have found out that there are several "windows", and for those who miss the early window (usually 10-20 days after first payment/deposit, depending upon insurer/policy type), there is another window from other insurers, which can be within 24 hours of the final payment (defined narrowly, for obvious reasons).

This latter type may have a bit lower limits or be a bit more expensive (especially if one wants the CFAR, but the waiver of exclusion of pre-existing medical conditions isn't typically much more expensive), but the coverage IS available.

That's why it is so helpful to work with a travel insurance broker who is familiar with the policies of several/many different insurers.

Good luck.

GC

I haven't contacted them yet. I've been so busy with tax season as well as getting my home ready to put on the market and dealing with stuff for my youngest son's high school graduation in May. It's a wonder I can get on CC most days! I do plan on contacting them in the next couple weeks. So I may still be able to get CFAR coverage at just a little more cost than if I had booked right after putting down the deposit.

• 2 weeks later...

Check your Credit Card benefits. Some offer coverage for trip cancellation.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Costco-Trip-Cancellation-Interruption-Protection

Mine only covers medical reasons, but others may have other stipulations.

Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection appliesfor reasons listed below. It doesn’t provide coverageif the Covered Traveler simply choose to change plans,have a work conflict, not feeling well but still able totravel, preferred lodging isn’t available or the CoveredTraveler can reach their destination but decide notto travel. Any event/incident that occurred prior tothe Trip being booked are not covered. Please see“What’s Not Covered” for additional restrictions.

September is hurricane season. If you purchase insurance after a storm is named then you are not covered for any losses caused by that storm. Buy the insurance a few weeks before the trip so that you are covered if a hurricane arises.