Sashimi at Terrace Cafe

VegasTW

Hi all,

We are so excited for our upcoming Baltic Cruise on Marina.... and as a food lover, I've spent a lot of time researching the posts and menus for the GDR and Specialty Restaurants.

Since the dining on Oceania is so luxurious and rich, if we wanted a light dinner, such as sashimi, on a couple nights ... what is the quality that you've experienced at Terrace Cafe?

I'm not a huge salad person and prefer protein ... so sashimi is always is a hit for me for a lighter dinner.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by VegasTW

It’s available on certain nights and limited to tuna and yellow fin typically. The quality of the sashimi is typically good. I’ll usually do sushi and sashimi combos. The fish rice sushi is normally fine, but I find the various sushi rolls they serve to be of inferior quality.

Remember all such fish aboard is packaged and frozen, so don’t expect the sashimi to be of the quality of high end restaurants that acquire fresh fish daily. Only occasionally do you get fresh local fish aboard ship and it’s not sushi or sashimi grade.

We were on the Riviera this past Summer, which is the sister ship to Marina, and we often ate at a light pre-dinner "snack" at the Terrace Cafe that often included sashimi. We found the quality was certainly good, although not spectacular. BTW in addition to the sashimi, we also always had lobster tails grilled to order and we found those to be consistently excellent.

If you are a food lover and are into sashimi, I think you will find this to be mediocre on Oceania. It is not as good as their continental cuisine offerings.

If you are looking for a light dinner, I'd suggest the continental cuisine fish offering instead. I've seen the always-available poached salmon in the GDR and it looked very light and would think that this is available in the Terrace Cafe as well.

The only fish available as sashimi on the Riviera this past October was tuna and salmon. We frequently went to the terrace for our own happy hour, had sushi and sashimi along with a cocktail, then had dinner in the MDR or just stayed at Terrace. Add squeeze of lemon to the soy sauce to create ponzu for dipping the sashimi into and you have a very acceptable appetizer or light supper.

If you are a food lover and are into sashimi, I think you will find this to be mediocre on Oceania. It is not as good as their continental cuisine offerings.

If you are looking for a light dinner, I'd suggest the continental cuisine fish offering instead. I've seen the always-available poached salmon in the GDR and it looked very light and would think that this is available in the Terrace Cafe as well.

Agree with you 100%. Also the rice used for the sushi and California rolls is rather chewy an starchy to that you would find in Japan or a quality restaurant

Hi all,

We are so excited for our upcoming Baltic Cruise on Marina.... and as a food lover, I've spent a lot of time researching the posts and menus for the GDR and Specialty Restaurants.

Since the dining on Oceania is so luxurious and rich, if we wanted a light dinner, such as sashimi, on a couple nights ... what is the quality that you've experienced at Terrace Cafe?

I'm not a huge salad person and prefer protein ... so sashimi is always is a hit for me for a lighter dinner.

Thanks.

On our last cruise, I think my son attempted to live off the Sashimi at the Terrace several nights. He was also prone to finishing a meal in the main dining room and then heading up for a snack at the Terrace. The chefs all recognized him. Disclaimer - 16 year olds have intense metabolism so he could do what many of us could not in terms of eating multiple meals.

I am a sashimi lover also. We found O ok but for the tuna which was a bit granular instead of that butter smooth texture which indicates to me that it had been frozen. The sashimi fish can work ok after par-freezing but not Tuna. Nothing beats fresh sashimi so would rate O- 2.5 on the scale but still have it when it is available.

Sushi was very hard and chewy - not what we get in Japan or any good Japanese restaurant. "California" Rolls - are a supersized thing that has found its way into many Japanese restaurants and fast food outlets to cater to that market. Yes I have eaten them and have had some good ones but they are not what I would chose on a Japanese menu and the ones we had on O where not good because of the rice.

I am a sashimi lover also. We found O ok but for the tuna which was a bit granular instead of that butter smooth texture which indicates to me that it had been frozen. The sashimi fish can work ok after par-freezing but not Tuna. Nothing beats fresh sashimi so would rate O- 2.5 on the scale but still have it when it is available.

Unlike you, I am not a sashimi lover, although I’ll have the occasional sushi & rolls. I have a question for you.

On one of our visits to Tokyo we went to the famous Tsukiji fish market at a very early hour where we watched a very interesting auction of tuna. All the tunas were frozen and it didn’t seem to bother the buyers; nor do I think the Tokyo consumers of these tunas in, I assume both sushi and sashimi, objected to them being previously frozen, AFAIK.

If I knew how to attach pictures I would show you some from that auction - or you can look it up.

What am I missing here about frozen tunas? I’d be happy to learn.

Not to mention that buying reliably fresh and good quality fresh tuna could be a major challenge in most ports (of course, on some itineraries it would be much easier than others).

Edited by Paulchili

Unlike you, I am not a sashimi lover, although I’ll have the occasional sushi & rolls. I have a question for you.

On one of our visits to Tokyo we went to the famous Tsukiji fish market at a very early hour where we watched a very interesting auction of tuna. All the tunas were frozen and it didn’t seem to bother the buyers; nor do I think the Tokyo consumers of these tunas in, I assume both sushi and sashimi, objected to them being previously frozen, AFAIK.

If I knew how to attach pictures I would show you some from that auction - or you can look it up.

What am I missing here about frozen tunas? I’d be happy to learn.

Not to mention that buying reliably fresh and good quality fresh tuna could be a major challenge in most ports (of course, on some itineraries it would be much easier than others).

Paul – I have also been to the fish markets in Tokyo and have seen the frozen Tuna on display and eaten in the surrounding sashimi restaurants. In the markets the high quality Sashimi is auctioned very early in the morning and the rest is sent to the market. There I was told that the best tuna sashimi is caught and bled within 24hrs to the tabled. I have had very fresh tuna sashimi and it is worth every extra dollar. It has a rich even color, has a smooth, shiny, gel like, un-stippled appearance and melts in your mouth. It is amazing and as a sashimi fan, there is no going back once you have had it – I have been spoilt forever.

Like anything that is frozen, it will deteriorate over time and maybe that is the problem on cruise ships. Some of our sashimi fish we get locally have been heavily iced or frozen but with the tuna it can be very obvious by a paler, stippled appearance and texture. It is not nice in the mouth. I can spot it on display and will choose a different fish.

You must try Sashimi again– it is amazing. Getting that right combination of wasabi and soy to suit your palate is essential – then a light salad – the perfect healthy meal.

Thank you Jakes47.

I always enjoy learning something new - now if only I could just remember the new things I learn :D

I think I’ll stick with the sushis and rolls I enjoy - I am not much for sashimi.

Oh - I wish I should convince you but at least you know what C grade tuna sashimi looks like now.

I have always consider most things on a Japanese menu as fairly healthy but for our very first cruise on NCL when the Teppanyaki was cooked in huge globs of butter ;p

Hi all,

Thanks.

You can probably tell I am am a fellow Sashimi lover but unfortunately for us on our Baltic cruise it wasn't served that often as we keep an eye out for that sort of thing. You may want to check with the catering staff when you board. Our next cruise is coming up and I will definitely take note.

Cheers

I have always consider most things on a Japanese menu as fairly healthy but for our very first cruise on NCL when the Teppanyaki was cooked in huge globs of butter ;p

Butter may not be healthy but it sure makes things taste better (for me) - think croissants on Oceania :D

Sushi was very hard and chewy - not what we get in Japan or any good Japanese restaurant. "California" Rolls - are a supersized thing that has found its way into many Japanese restaurants and fast food outlets to cater to that market. Yes I have eaten them and have had some good ones but they are not what I would chose on a Japanese menu and the ones we had on O where not good because of the rice.

Oceania primarily procures it’s fish frozen, prepackaged, and shipped in. That’s their SOP. The issue is not being st sea, my last cruise was 15 days with three sea days and four overnights in ports. The ship served fresh fish maybe twice. Huge fish markets along the way, but like buying all the fresh vegetables that are available, that’s not the way they do things. We had waiters on the last cruise advising cruisers that some of the fish were frozen and not very good. Some horrible monk fish that was chewier and tougher than an old cow comes to mind.

Oceania prepares many great dishes and their menus have lots to choose from. IMO, cruisers are best served, quality and taste wise, to avoid as many of the frozen fish dishes as possible.

All this tuna talk reminds me of when we were in port in Manta Ecuador, they were unloading tuna all day from the fishing ships that were in the same port, they filled up open container trucks and then hauled them away. It's a really big deal there, I'm sure they could have got fresh tuna there.

DW has had sashimi at the Terrace and she loves it. Enjoy!

Hi all,

Thanks.

I found the sashimi offerings on board the Sirena acceptable. I do not like sushi very much because of the rice. You think you are having a light meal when eating sushi and at the end you end up with almost as much carbs as a pizza. So for me sashimi is important. On the Sirena as far as I recall, there were two kind of fish for sashimi: salmon and tuna.

Ivi