Question re: Magnetic Hooks for Cabin

I'm cruising next month on Navigator. One of the tips that came up on my Cruise Critic Newsletter said to bring magnetic hooks for the cabin for extra hanging space which is a great idea. My question is where inside the cabin would you hang the magnetic hooks as I thought the door was the only thing that is magnetic. Can someone enlighten me as I'm baffled. Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.

The ceiling and walls can also hold magnets, and it really does help a lot. We usually just use the ceiling because I find it a bit easier and more out of the way, personally. We use these http://amzn.to/2HoeLGT but there are lots of options. I got a 15 pack because we can be absent minded and sometimes accidentally leave one behind.

Thank you so much for your quick responses. I didn't know that the cabin walls were metal and you can stick something magnetic on it. I'm going to order a pack from Amazon now. Thanks again!

My advice is to check your local dollar stores for less expensive alternatives. :) The Canadian price is over $16 for those 4 little hooks. Just a suggestion.

Wow, that's really expensive :o

The ones we bought on Amazon were $17 US for 15 hooks, so just over a dollar a hook. I personally hesitate to get much cheaper or at a lower weight advertisement because I've found they tend to exaggerate. For example some hooks we got for home that said they could hold 12 pounds would start to slide if you tried to hang more than 2-3 pounds on them.

We have used these, but go for the heavier weight capacity - they are great for hanging wet bathing suits, hats, etc. on the walls. If you buy inexpensive, regular ones, they won't hold much weight and will slide right down the wall. Amazon has a ton of different ones.

We usually bring magnetic hooks and magnetic clips. The hooks are great for lanyards, lightweight jackets, hats, etc. and the clips are perfect for holding important papers so that they don’t get lost. When sailing on ships that require a card to activate the lights/air conditioning, we also use the clip to hold a dummy card so that we don’t lose it when it is not in use.

I'm cruising next month on Navigator. One of the tips that came up on my Cruise Critic Newsletter said to bring magnetic hooks for the cabin for extra hanging space which is a great idea. My question is where inside the cabin would you hang the magnetic hooks as I thought the door was the only thing that is magnetic. Can someone enlighten me as I'm baffled. Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.

These might work out well.

https://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do;jsessionid=0000QPKZkJJ2TLJf_WrqXUHaUXv:17h4h7b45?Ntt=magnetic%20clips&cmsearch=magnetic%20clip%7Ckeyword%20matches%7Cmagnetic%20clips&predict=true&cmPredSearchABTestElemId=Search%20Suggestions&cmPredSearchABTestElemCategory=Predictive%20Search%20Complete|No%20monetate%20test%20running&cmPredSearchABTestAttr30=Search%20Suggestions|||||&cmPredSearchABTestAttr31=magnetic%20clip

The ceiling and walls can also hold magnets, and it really does help a lot. We usually just use the ceiling because I find it a bit easier and more out of the way, personally. We use these http://amzn.to/2HoeLGT but there are lots of options. I got a 15 pack because we can be absent minded and sometimes accidentally leave one behind.

Thank you! I just clicked your link and instantly ordered. I had also read the CC article and thought they were a great idea, but the magnets that I already have are, as someone else mentioned, not very good, even though they say they can hold 10 lbs. I put less than a pound on the hook and it starts sliding. These look great! You should get a commission...

• 2 weeks later...
Love using magnets.

Use them for any "mail" we get for upcoming days, invites, announcements ect.

Use a hook magnet for lanyard, or any other light weight object.

Use a larger hook magnet for hat or visor.

Uses are endless, keeps everything neat and easy access.

Agreed! :) However, I read on another thread yesterday that RCCL now has magnetic hooks added to their list of prohibited items. I can't prove or disprove it - just info that someone had posted. I looked on RCCL's site and they weren't listed. My question would be why?? I hope this is incorrect information. They sure are handy in a cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble finding these hooks for a cruise this weekend. Is there any chance that painter's tape is acceptable? I thought that since it doesn't damage painted walls or leave a residue it might be ok. I am looking to hang decorations for my daughter's college graduation so nothing heavier than flimsy cardboard banners. Any other idea's would be wonderful too.

Agreed! :) However, I read on another thread yesterday that RCCL now has magnetic hooks added to their list of prohibited items. I can't prove or disprove it - just info that someone had posted. I looked on RCCL's site and they weren't listed. My question would be why?? I hope this is incorrect information. They sure are handy in a cabin.

I'm having trouble finding these hooks for a cruise this weekend. Is there any chance that painter's tape is acceptable? I thought that since it doesn't damage painted walls or leave a residue it might be ok. I am looking to hang decorations for my daughter's college graduation so nothing heavier than flimsy cardboard banners. Any other idea's would be wonderful too.

We just took our four super heavyweight magnetic hooks on Serenade ending 3/30 with no issue. We got ours at Christmas Tree Shop - two for $4.xx. They even hold a pair of wet pants on a hanger! We also use them on the balcony ceiling to dry things on port days (wouldn't try it with the ship sailing along though).

Warning: they are so strong they took some paint off our metal door at home so we use a heavy paper cutout over the bottom.

Have never, EVER needed to hang anything from the walls.

There's "need" and then there's "want." I've never needed to hang anything from the walls, BUT, I really enjoy being able to hang a bathrobe next to my bed, and I've found that my swimsuits dry a lot faster if I hang them out in the cabin as opposed to in the bathroom. I also use a mobility scooter, and it's handy to hang the end of the power cord over a wall hook when it's not in use so I can just plug right in when I get back to the cabin. I do admit that I've taken magnetic clips or just plain magnets to put papers on the wall before, and have never used them.