Ovation’s Inaugural sailing

florisdekort

It’s generally overpriced and the ship and crew need to settle in a bit on a new ship.

Problems can occur as they did on the maiden cruise of the Odyssey.

Guests did however receive compensation and a free cruise.

I would leave it a few months before trying a new ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s generally overpriced and the ship and crew need to settle in a bit on a new ship.

Mr L, wasn't the main issue on Odyssey maiden because of the vibration? Or were there other problems as well?

Yes vibration was an issue for quit a time but the ship wasn’t finished to a good standard and carpets and fixtures were being done whilst the guests were on the cruise.

Others might chip in here to tell us of their experiences

Yes vibration was an issue for quit a time but the ship wasn’t finished to a good standard and carpets and fixtures were being done whilst the guests were on the cruise.

Others might chip in here to tell us of their experiences

I was tempted to book Ovation's Inaugural, but was wary because it's new and also I'm not over enthusiastic about these two larger ships.

Hopefully everything will go well but I'm not prepared to take the chance!

I was on the maiden voyage of the Odyssey and I know the crew worked their fingers to the bone until the very last minute to get the ship ready for us. But despite that I have to say it was a terrific sailing and the few hiccups did not at all interfere with my enjoyment of the cruise. That is not to say there are not maiden cruises where everything goes wrong.

The Odyssey maiden voyage was marked by an incredibly active crew, led capably by then-president Pam Conover doing everything to make it ready including shifting supplies for our boarding, due to a late handover by the yard. Then we had 3 days of only warm water until hot showers were possible and Pam awarded us all with the first 3 days reimbursed. I do not remember any free cruise and recall that I believed her unprompted, fast ie offered to us on day 4, was sincerely welcomed. A smart leader!

About the Encore maiden, the crew were proud to bring out the ship and I wrote then on CC my initial comparison thoughts vs the Ody class ships. What plagued me during my 44 days - and this was the most expensive cruise per day I have ever paid for - was the dust that caused me long coughing bouts until I left in Sydney. Maybe then better to give it a few months to settle the dust. That did not happen on Ody, though. Just so you are aware... Otherwise, ok, and the crew was very pleased with themselves for making it ready for our departure in Dubai.

BTW, no one wants to recall the awful launch party in Singapore. Just laughable. So I won’t do so. Except to say that the next one cannot be worse. And that the Odyssey’s launch party in Venice was about the passengers- from start to finish. Pam had that flair and it is missed!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Ps- we are on Sojourn now and recently saw a video onboard about Ovation which boasted about it by senior Seabourn managers from Seattle. But it did not differentiate Ovation, much less even mention, the Encore. I thought that odd since it’s a copy. And there was one claim - get this - that Ovation will be the best hotel in the world, one that just happens to be at sea. Does anyone ANYONE actually believe this? Clever marketing this is not, at least among people who know about fine hotels and other cruise ships.

I sailed on Encore’s first cruise, pre inauguration, Athens to Singapore. I liked it.

I didn’t notice anything that weren’t normal cruise issues, like running out of certain wines and food ingredients.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do an inaugural cruise again.

It should be noted that our Encore CD Hendre also did the aforementioned Odyssey inaugural and he commented that the Encore was better planned and much smoother.

There’s something nice about that new car smell, and the enthusiasm of the crew on a new ship.

We have been on all the Inaugurals and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. We will also be on the Ovation inaugural. They always have lots of special events and are great fun. We were not aware of any issues on the Odyssey Inaugural so were taken aback when we received compensation. We agree that the Encore Inaugural ceremony was laughable. Lets hope the Ovations is better but nothing can compare to the magic of the Odyssey Inaugural in Venice!

We have been on all the Inaugurals and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. We will also be on the Ovation inaugural. They always have lots of special events and are great fun. We were not aware of any issues on the Odyssey Inaugural so were taken aback when we received compensation. We agree that the Encore Inaugural ceremony was laughable. Lets hope the Ovations is better but nothing can compare to the magic of the Odyssey Inaugural in Venice!

I agree completely. That night in Venice is something I will always remember.

Originally posted by shefinch: We have been on all the Inaugurals and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. We will also be on the Ovation inaugural. They always have lots of special events and are great fun. We were not aware of any issues on the Odyssey Inaugural so were taken aback when we received compensation. We agree that the Encore Inaugural ceremony was laughable. Lets hope the Ovations is better but nothing can compare to the magic of the Odyssey Inaugural in Venice!

I agree completely. That night in Venice is something I will always remember.

Magical indeed, many thanks for the treasured memories!