Restaurant Discounts for Bariatric Surgery Patients?

Hello,

I have gastric sleeve surgery about 18 months ago and was curious if anyone was aware of Royal Caribbean offering discounts at the specialty restaurants for surgery patients. I'd love to go, but I feel like it would be a waste spending all the money knowing I really won't get my moneys worth. I also feel bad because others going with me want to go, but don't want to leave me out. I'm in the process of contacting Royal Caribbean was well, just curious if anyone had first hand knowledge.

Thanks,

Heather

• Thanks 1

Kudos to you on taking charge of your health and sticking to it post-surgically! Unfortunately, I doubt that Royal will discount the fee for the specialty dining, which makes sense to me. Some people don't eat much, so probably don't "get their money's worth," while others view dining on a cruise ship as a challenge to make sure they do! I think it would be too difficult for the cruise lines to start varying their prices based on little or how much you eat, and I don't mind at all that I eat in moderation, but pay the same cruise rate as those who make it their mission to make at least ten trips to the buffet.

If you'd like to spend time with your friends, and at least sample the cuisine at the specialty restaurants, then I say just go ahead and do it. One (or two) specialty dinners generally do not break the bank for most who are lucky enough to be able to cruise. If you are looking to cut down on costs, look at pre-booking through your cruise planner and possibly purchasing a dining package. It can be less expensive to go that route than to pay individually for each restaurant.

• Like 2

Thanks! I completely understand if Royal doesn't, just figured it was worth a shot. Some restaurants will give you a smaller portion and in turn discounted price or allow you to order from the kids menu with a surgery card. I'm going on the Allure in November, which is a first for me on the Oasis class, so I definitely plan of trying at least one of the restaurants particular to that class.

Heather

Sorry - not that have heard of any discounts on the ship and honestly have not been aware of land based restaurant offering discounts. There is a kids menu/pricing at many of the specialty restaurants but I don't believe adults can use that pricing. You can use the kids menu in the dining room.

I know many of the ship restaurants have lunch at a reduced price. That might be a good option for you and your group.

good luck

M

I have gastric sleeve surgery about 18 months ago....

Just wanted to drop you a quick note and say congrats on getting this done and making the changes in your life to be successful. 18 months is a big journey!

To keep it on topic, I don't believe they offer any sort of discount. :(

-germ

This is a joke, right?

Why would you think it is a joke? Sounds like a perfectly legitimate question to me. I worked many years in a restaurant and saw several people who had had weight loss surgery and had a special card from their doctor. We had a buffet and the owner would only charge them the kids price for it. Most weight loss customers ate very little so I can understand them not wanting to pay the adult or full price.

• Like 2

Why would you think it is a joke? Sounds like a perfectly legitimate question to me. I worked many years in a restaurant and saw several people who had had weight loss surgery and had a special card from their doctor. We had a buffet and the owner would only charge them the kids price for it. Most weight loss customers ate very little so I can understand them not wanting to pay the adult or full price.

I worked in restaurants for quite some time and in fact, owned a restaurant for a while. I was convinced we were being trolled. Never seen or heard such a thing and common sense and decency would suggest nobody would ever actually expect such a thing. This sounds ridiculous to me. But I shouldn't be surprised I guess at the audacity of some peope.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you for asking this. We are going on Harmony B2B in November, and my husband is one year out from his surgery. He only eats one time a day, and it's very little. The rest of the day he drinks protein shakes. I'm not sure how were going to deal with the shakes yet. I'm guessing we'll bring powder and mix with water, but he normally drinks pre-made. We do have one specialty restaurant free from our TA. I'm excited about that because, like you, I don't want to pay a premium price for him to eat half a piece of salmon and a little bit of veggies.

Very valid question!!! I'm not expecting RCI would discount the restaurant though, but good luck! Do they offer a child's meal price in the specialty restaurants by chance?

I can understand why OP asked the question. On land based restaurants, you can often order a smaller portion and expect a discount. As the ship restaurants tend to have a cover charge, I doubt if they would apply the same reasoning. Most of the cost is in the preparation and serving of the food so smaller portions doesn't result in a saving which can be passed on. That is my opinion anyway, I could be wrong,

• Like 1

Not sure what ship you are sailing on but I found that the Solarium Bistro was a great choice for me. (gastric bypass). The portions are smaller, the food less dense and easier to eat. I found the food in the main dining room was too rich so I usually just ordered off the appetizer menu.

The specialty restaurants are tough if you have a tiny tummy. I haven't heard of them offering any discounts, but I suggest letting the waiter know about your surgery. Maybe they can suggest an entree that isn't so "filling". Plus, they become very concerned if you don't eat very much on your plate. My first cruise after my surgery proved that. After the 2nd night in the MDR, the head waiter came over and asked if the food was ok. I assured him it was wonderful, and explained my surgery. After that, it was fine.

Maybe you can split an entree with a friend? Sometimes the specialty restaurants will box up the other half of your entree to take back to your cabin. Doesn't hurt to ask...

And for the sarcastic person who thinks asking is ridiculous, get over yourself. It's not like she is asking for her meals to be made a certain way other than what is offered on the menu. And yes....I have found most restaurants are very accommodating to people who have had weight loss surgery.

• Like 2

And for the sarcastic person who thinks asking is ridiculous, get over yourself. It's not like she is asking for her meals to be made a certain way other than what is offered on the menu. And yes....I have found most restaurants are very accommodating to people who have had weight loss surgery.

Accommodating and asking for discounts is two very different things. One is asking for nice service, suggestions, and preparation from the establishment which is reasonable, the other is asking for the establishment to pay for your issues, which is simply entitlement.

Asking for a discount puts the restaurant in an unwinnable situation. So sure, they deal with it. As another poster said, charge the child rate at the buffet or whatever. Owner has 2 scenarios. #1. "I'm sorry, but the child pricing is for children. We have a wonderful selection of food on our buffet at a very reasonable price and I hope you can enjoy it" - customer runs to Yelp... "OMG, the owner is horrible. I give one star only because I have to. I have a medical condition and the owner didn't even care". Or #2.... "Yes, sure, give her a discount, it's not worth it, I guess today I'll pay for this persons personal issues."

We deal with it all the time. It's the way it is. I have to remind my own staff that no matter how right we are, it's simply not worth it. Just give the entitled people what they want. But society generally relies on people being decent and knowing better than to ask for such things in the first place and most people have these sensibilities, but obviously not everyone.

• Like 5

Lost of reasons to think it was a joke.

Specialty restaurants are there to provide a more sophisticated and or higher quality food dining experience. If one can’t eat much at all then maybe this is part of the product they should skip or just pay up like everyone else. My wife eats 1/5 of what I do but we both pay the same. It is just the way it is. She in no way gets our moneys worth at a specialty restaurant. Should they start charging based on how much each person might eat? If they discount it they are potentially losing revenue form someone else as these restaurants are usually packed.

The are many other reasons that I won’t discuss as they could be view as insensitive but I’m sure everyone reading the post can think of them.

Basically there are lots of things many can’t do on a cruise but we don’t get discounts b/c we can’t do them. My wife hurt her wrists and can’t do a lot of yoga poses now. Should she still go to the yoga class but ask for a discount? Obviously this would be ridiculous. So instead she goes to the gym and does what she can do without straining her wrist or she pays the full price and does what she can in the class and skips the parts she can’t do.

So yes there are lots of reasons to think this post was someone joking around.

• Like 4

Just to add a comment. In Chops for example, the steaks are pre-cut. How do you charge half price or half a steak? What do you do with the other half steak? Additionally, you can order a 10 oz filet or a 6 oz filet, or a 16 oz bone in Rib Eye. The price difference between the 3 is ZERO. You pay full price for a 16 oz rib eye or 6 oz filet.

I guess it's like having seniors expect a discount at the specialty restaurants because they don't eat as much as a 20 year old man or someone else. It's the OP's right to ask for it even if it may not sound right to others.

Id liken it to asking for a discount because I don't use the kids club, rock climbing wall, surfing, ice skating, zip line etc. I wouldn't get a discount for not using those, but if I choose to sail the ship that has them, that's my choice.

• Like 1

Congrats to the OP on taking that step.

As others have said, it is unlikely you'll get an overall fare reduction. However at specialty restaurants, I would say that it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe also contact the special needs department ahead of time to be sure that your condition is on your file.

The reason a reduction in fare is unlikely is similar to why babies are charged full price... Opportunity cost. You might be eating less, but you are displacing another potential adult booking for whom RC would make more money.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm guessing some may feel this question is a joke, because buffets and cruise lines don't charge MORE for those who stuff themselves and take twice as much as regular guests

• Like 3

This is the most absurd question I've ever seen on this website. If I'm trying to lose weight by not eating sweets, should I get a discount because I won't be eating dessert? What if I'm a diabetic or any of the other countless medical conditions that require diet restrictions? Should the cruise line start weighing out portions and charging accordingly? Give me a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, I wasn't aware that asking if something was offered was making me entitled. I didn't demand they offer it nor was I making a big deal of it not happening, simply asking a question, but thanks for all the judgmental answers.

Everyone else, I appreciate your input! And thanks for understanding why one may ask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actually no it isn't. MY DIL carries a medical card that explains she has had surgery and that she needs to order from the children's menu.

What medical condition requires one to order from the children's menu? Is she only allowed to eat pizza, burgers and chicken nuggets?

I'm not trying to be rude, I just need help understanding why an adult would be restricted to entrees on the children's menu...

What medical condition requires one to order from the children's menu? Is she only allowed to eat pizza, burgers and chicken nuggets?

I'm not trying to be rude, I just need help understanding why an adult would be restricted to entrees on the children's menu...

It's not the specific entrees, its the size. When one has gastric sleeve surgery roughly 2/3 of your stomach is removed, greatly reducing the amount of food you can consume.

It's not the specific entrees, its the size. When one has gastric sleeve surgery roughly 2/3 of your stomach is removed, greatly reducing the amount of food you can consume.

Yes but I believe you are missing the HYPOCRISY of what you were saying. when people are overweight and over eating they don't expect to pay more so why would a person expect to pay less when they can eat less.

• Like 2

I completely understand it's the size...like the size and portions my four your old Grandson ate when I paid on EVERY cruise the same fare, same tips as for me. I chose to take him on the cruise, knowing the fare/price was the same and that he ate like a bird. Attending a Specialty restaurant is by choice and it's a set price for adults. I just seriously don't understand making an issue of asking for a discount because you can't eat the same size as someone else but are going to a restaurant with a set price for everyone.

• Like 1

Why not order off the adult menu and take home the leftovers? Or just simply don't eat the whole entree?

I myself am currently eating a reduced calorie diet and I eat about half of what's on my plate. Do you think I should also be entitled to order from the children's menu due to my restrictive diet, thus preventing me from consuming a full adult sized portion?

• Like 1