Leaving child on ship while in Havana

JinxyB

Looking at booking Empress (KW, Havana, and Cozumel) and I don’t think our child would enjoy touring Havana. Can anyone confirm that Adventure Ocean is open during the hours the ship is in Havana? I know they are usually open during port hours but don’t want to assume anything. Thanks.

i know this doesn't answer your question but personally i wouldn't risk it. imagine worse case scenario. for some unknown reason you couldn't make it back to the ship before it leaves and your child is on the ship without parents. i know, it's an extreme stretch but just a risk i wouldn't be willing to take IMO.

Your choice, I wouldn't. My kids were younger, 2, 5, 9, I'd take them off with me or brought In-Laws on cruise. Always had an adult on board with kids. Remote that anything could happen but I was just on cruise in December where people from my ship were in that Bus accident in Mexico...

Why assume that your child won't get something out of the excursion and enjoy it? While our children, adults now, didn't cruise when they were young but they did go on various sightseeing tours as we traveled across the US. It was always interesting to see the world through their eyes.

I think the OP may mean one of two things, one, the child is young and would be bored and definitely not understand and take interest in Havana and then its an added cost but I feel its more that the child would not be content going.

Some people say and I totally can relate to it what if something happens and you don't get to the ship or what if there is an accident with the bus, etc.....my thinking is I would rather have my child on the ship and safe there than with me in a crisis. The ship would know that you didn't make it back on, I think what I would suggest should you leave your child is to let guest services know your leaving him/her alone on the ship, just in case something happens but if your taking a shore excursion with the ship, I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the child providing the child is responsible and can be trusted to be left alone (knows not to go in anybody else room and what to do is there is a fire to go to the lifeboat, etc) which sounds like the case.

I would not have an issue leaving my child on board, I have done it but I had two children, they had one another. If the child is responsible, well behaved, is ok with you not being there go for it.

I think the OP may mean one of two things, one, the child is young and would be bored and definitely not understand and take interest in Havana and then its an added cost but I feel its more that the child would not be content going.

Some people say and I totally can relate to it what if something happens and you don't get to the ship or what if there is an accident with the bus, etc.....my thinking is I would rather have my child on the ship and safe there than with me in a crisis. The ship would know that you didn't make it back on, I think what I would suggest should you leave your child is to let guest services know your leaving him/her alone on the ship, just in case something happens but if your taking a shore excursion with the ship, I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the child providing the child is responsible and can be trusted to be left alone (knows not to go in anybody else room and what to do is there is a fire to go to the lifeboat, etc) which sounds like the case.

I would not have an issue leaving my child on board, I have done it but I had two children, they had one another. If the child is responsible, well behaved, is ok with you not being there go for it.

My kids are grown now, but I agreed with your line of reasoning when they were younger. If they prefered to stay onboard in the club (or on their own as teens) I figured that in the highly unlikely event that we had a problem while out touring they were better of safe on the ship than in that bus accident or whatnot with us

I thought that when you buy excursions through the line they guarantee to wait in cash if delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not exactly. The line has to get you back to the ship and cover costs in the meantime----but that can include putting you up overnight and flying you to another port the next day, etc.

The vast majority of the time they just hold the ship if an excursion is delayed, but there have been times when that hasn't been the best option when there is a very long delay and a tight schedule to get to the next port or high fees to remain docked, etc.

Looking at booking Empress (KW, Havana, and Cozumel) and I don’t think our child would enjoy touring Havana. Can anyone confirm that Adventure Ocean is open during the hours the ship is in Havana? I know they are usually open during port hours but don’t want to assume anything. Thanks.

Adventure Ocean program does not have a designated area on Empress as on other RCI ships. It has an office area adjoining the Viking Crown. I have seen teens in controlled groups in the entrance lounge area of the Viking Crown but other than that don't have any idea where the children would be.

My recommendation would be take your child with you in this particular situation!

Adventure Ocean program does not have a designated area on Empress as on other RCI ships. It has an office area adjoining the Viking Crown. I have seen teens in controlled groups in the entrance lounge area of the Viking Crown but other than that don't have any idea where the children would be.

My recommendation would be take your child with you in this particular situation!

Interesting.... on deck 10 there is an area that says it’s Adventure Ocean. 🧐

I guess I’ll just have to call in to RC and ask although I usually find more up to date and accurate info on cruise critic.

The old city is a wonderful place for s kid to explore. People playing music and dancing, cool sculptures, sidewalk performers and artists, bakeries and carts with sweet treats. Maybe a long historical tour is not for your child, I understand, but I think Havana is a great place to expose a kid to in general. Hope the situation works out for you, I don’t see why onboard activities would differ than other ports.

Interesting.... on deck 10 there is an area that says it’s Adventure Ocean. ��

I guess I’ll just have to call in to RC and ask although I usually find more up to date and accurate info on cruise critic.

When we were on Empress I looked into that area and it was in all appearances a large office.

Perhaps someone who had younger children signed up for Adventure Ocean on Empress can comment!

Found these pictures so I did not see this part of it. Apologies!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/empress-of-the-seas-1103/adventure-ocean-283996/

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

The child is 7. We have left him on the ship before while on an excursion with no issues. I try not to live my life in fear that something terrible will happen.

I agree with you....Many leave their children at daycare..it's really not so different....but many on this board will voice their opinion's against it.

Only you know what you're comfortable doing. Hopefully someone will answer your specific question in regards to the Empress and their particular Adventure Ocean and not take this opportunity (no chance of that :rolleyes:) to parent your child and your right to make decisions for that child.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

I could be mistaken, but wouldn't your son need to do the tour to qualify for the Cuban visa?

I ready over the FAQ on the RC website and it states you do not need to purchase a $75 Cuban visa if you don’t get off the ship. He has a passport, so that is not an issue. I will have to call and clarify if I can leave him on the ship while in Cuba.

The child is 7. We have left him on the ship before while on an excursion with no issues. I try not to live my life in fear that something terrible will happen.

I would always factor in the port. Are you secure enough that Havana will not present an unusual risk?

Well ... be careful bringing your 7 yr. old to Key West. They're drunk in the streets, on their feet, on their bikes, in their cars. I DETEST Key West. 1 time I was there, got hit by 2 people drunk on bicycles, and we were almost hit by a car swerving all over. Nothing was worth driving down there. Not even that Southernmost Point landmark.

I don't think RCL allows you to leave them on the ship if you get off. I recall the sign up form says an adult will be on the ship and you can't leave them behind without a responsible adult on board.

This is simply not true, and I speak from experience. Besides, how would they know you were on or off the ship, unless they check with security? They don’t give you a phone unless your child is younger or had special needs.