Price gouging??

At what point does "dynamic market pricing" become plain old price gouging?

We "were" scheduled on the now cancelled Jewel TA in 10/19 mostly because we really wanted to do the Greek Isles cruise before it. OK, the TA is cancelled. Business is business. No problem. Move along.

Tried to stay on the Jewel Greek Isles cruise - then was going to fly from Rome to Barcelona (our expense) stay 5 nights (our expense) and catch the Indy for their TA back to the USA. Now the interesting part. On the Jewel TA we had an accessible balcony fully refundable for both legs. There is an accessible balcony available on the Indy cruise but the price difference between refundable and non-refundable is $1,200 PP (for 2 people). That's not a typo.

The answer from the repositioning folks is - TS. Pay it or don't go. Wasn't asking for a price match, OBC, expenses between cruises or anything. Just asked to let us pay the NR rate for refundable - just like we had.

I'm sorry - that stinks to high heaven of plain old price gouging to me - taking advantage of a situation that they 100% created in the first place. We declined to book it.

Shame on you RC. Maybe cancelling cruises is your new profit center?

Disgusted.

After something similar, booked Princess. Two upgrades and one upsell later, am happy cruising with Princess. Oh yes, HAL and Celebrity too.

Four future cruises booked and none are RCI.

The change has been enjoyable with fewer children, more adult cruising. While I like some of the RCI shows, having seen them, changing lines gives me a bit more to look forward to rather than same old.

Thus I can honestly say that having learned RCI doesn’t value my loyalty, I can and did take my money elsewhere and found a couple of cruise lines I also enjoy/enjoyed in the past and coming back as a returning customer.

We were booked on the 2019 Explorer Trans Pacific that has been cancelled since Ovation is taking Explorer's place in Seattle. The replacement TP on Ovation was actually 2 cruises and over twice the price of the Explorer TP even with the 20% credit offered. Does that mean the Ovation TP is overpriced or was the Explorer TP under priced? I don't know the answer but I don't think cancelling the Explorer had anything to do with being a profit center. Sure it was about profit by moving a more profitable ship to a more desirable itinerary but that's all, IMO. We got an exceptional great price on the TA we booked as our replacement. If it gets cancelled, then I might subscribe to your theory.

$1200 per person is high, I agree.

But I want to share something I have learned through my mother. My mom is an avid cruiser. Every year, between her friends, church, and senior organizations that she is a member of, she goes on about 3 - 5 cruises a year. These cruises are usually organized and booked a year in advance. But she tells me that when it comes close to sail, every time (without fail), there is always drama with a few people changing their plans and demanding a full refund, even though they have policies where refunds are only given if they cancel 3 months out. Some people cause so much drama that the members who organized the cruise just give the refund to them just to keep peace. The problem with that is it usually at a loss to the members or the organization because the cruise company will not reimburse them.

The other half of it is when the members offer refundable options, more than 50% of the initial bookings end up not going. For some reason or the other they end up needing the money later on. Or even worse, they no longer want to go because they had a disagreement with another member and would rather not be "stuck on a boat" with them.

Again, I agree that $1200 price difference is huge, but I have also heard of the bad side of organizing such events. It really can be a pain.

Happens quite often. We were cancelled on Adventure and they would not give us price protection on an equivalent cruise. We had to lose Bonaire to keep our price.

Didn't ask them to price protect the Indy cruise. The one they offered to price protect was the Brilliance TA, but it had no accessible balconies available - so they basically offer us nothing.

Only thing we asked was to remove the excessive "surcharge" on the non-refundable Indy fare. Was willing to pay the current "rack" rate for the Indy TA but without the $2,400 surcharge.

How is that unreasonable?

But I want to share something I have learned through my mother. My mom is an avid cruiser. Every year, between her friends, church, and senior organizations that she is a member of, she goes on about 3 - 5 cruises a year. These cruises are usually organized and booked a year in advance. But she tells me that when it comes close to sail, every time (without fail), there is always drama with a few people changing their plans and demanding a full refund, even though they have policies where refunds are only given if they cancel 3 months out. Some people cause so much drama that the members who organized the cruise just give the refund to them just to keep peace. The problem with that is it usually at a loss to the members or the organization because the cruise company will not reimburse them.

The other half of it is when the members offer refundable options, more than 50% of the initial bookings end up not going. For some reason or the other they end up needing the money later on. Or even worse, they no longer want to go because they had a disagreement with another member and would rather not be "stuck on a boat" with them.

Again, I agree that $1200 price difference is huge, but I have also heard of the bad side of organizing such events. It really can be a pain.

Love your description of "group travel" dynamics! Even going once with 3 other long term friends made we stick to my preference of solo cruising - even with the price surcharge! In fact I don't even tell about my booking until quite late - so people won't announce that they want to come too. By then the price is of course higher.

Doesn't "gouging" refer to raising the prices of necessities during times of crisis or shortage? Like spiking gas prices when there is a shortage or charging premium for hotel rooms along evacuation routes, etc.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around raising prices for a totally optional luxury vacation being referred to as "price gouging".

Just me?

Doesn't "gouging" refer to raising the prices of necessities during times of crisis or shortage? Like spiking gas prices when there is a shortage or charging premium for hotel rooms along evacuation routes, etc.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around raising prices for a totally optional luxury vacation being referred to as "price gouging".

Just me?

Actually, since they cancelled a well pre-sold TA (Jewel) they did create a shortage of RC available westbound TA berths. Since they are in less supply, they decided to add a $1,200 PP "surcharge" to book as refundable. So, yea, your definition of gouging does completely fit this scenario.

The term I chose was chosen with care. Optional purchase or not, the term fits completely.

"Gouging" can happen anytime someone asks more money for a commodity that is usually less in price than is being charged. The good thing about a vacation....you don't HAVE to take it, if it costs more than you're willing to pay. At least, with a cruise, people have options and can say, "Screw it"...and cancel the whole thing. Maybe go with a different company...whatever!

The cruise lines are notorious "gougers", with a beer costing more than a 12 pack....or $12 drinks....or " dining uncharges" of $50 pp for the "ambiance"....ridiculous prices nowadays!

Didn't ask them to price protect the Indy cruise. The one they offered to price protect was the Brilliance TA, but it had no accessible balconies available - so they basically offer us nothing.

Only thing we asked was to remove the excessive "surcharge" on the non-refundable Indy fare. Was willing to pay the current "rack" rate for the Indy TA but without the $2,400 surcharge.

How is that unreasonable?

Since they offered to price protect you on Brilliance, a sister ship to Jewel, and you said no, you wanted Independence, a different class of ship, how is this "price gouging?" Sounds to me like they offered you an identical product and you wanted a different product. Your reference to an accessible balcony as a reason to get a different product would be like me wanting to book on Vision in an accessible cabin and if not available demanding they give me an accessible cabin on Harmony for the same price. Would you really expect them to kick someone else out of an accessible cabin to accommodate you? I agree they could offer some incentive on Brilliance since they couldn't give you what you originally booked, but I have to say, No price gouging here.

It's not price gouging at all. If they only offered the price for $1,200 more, then you could make an argument. But the cheaper option is there. You just have to commit to it. They are charging more for you to have the option to cancel the booking and them have to try and rebook the room. I'm sure everyone here would prefer to have a better price and still have the option to get a full refund. That's just not how it works.

Since they offered to price protect you on Brilliance, a sister ship to Jewel, and you said no, you wanted Independence, a different class of ship, how is this "price gouging?" Sounds to me like they offered you an identical product and you wanted a different product. Your reference to an accessible balcony as a reason to get a different product would be like me wanting to book on Vision in an accessible cabin and if not available demanding they give me an accessible cabin on Harmony for the same price. Would you really expect them to kick someone else out of an accessible cabin to accommodate you? I agree they could offer some incentive on Brilliance since they couldn't give you what you originally booked, but I have to say, No price gouging here.

Good thing this isn't baseball - you are so far off base you would get picked off easily.

If you would read the original post they did NOT offer the "same product". No accessible cabin offered on BR. Cabin not accessible, I can't go. Get it? Didn't ask them to "kick anyone out" of anything, I just looked for a different option.

Only other ship option was Indy leaving from a different port. I did ask them for the same product - a refundable accessible balcony without a big surcharge that was created by their own cancellation. The Indy cabin was available at the time in open inventory. Didn't ask them for price match, OBC, extra transport expenses between the 2 cruise ports or anything, just removal of the surcharge which would not cost them one thin dime net.

No matter - it's all academic now. Cancelled both cruises and doing an AI in Tahiti instead. Decided to speak with our wallet on this one.

Just me?

Yes thats definition of it.

I dont consider it price gouging. Its supply vs demand and its done on most anything. Rccl owns the business and rights to charge what they see fit and arent twisting anyones arm to buy it.

We "were" scheduled on the now cancelled Jewel TA in 10/19 mostly because we really wanted to do the Greek Isles cruise before it. OK, the TA is cancelled. Business is business. No problem. Move along.

Tried to stay on the Jewel Greek Isles cruise - then was going to fly from Rome to Barcelona (our expense) stay 5 nights (our expense) and catch the Indy for their TA back to the USA. Now the interesting part. On the Jewel TA we had an accessible balcony fully refundable for both legs. There is an accessible balcony available on the Indy cruise but the price difference between refundable and non-refundable is $1,200 PP (for 2 people). That's not a typo.

The answer from the repositioning folks is - TS. Pay it or don't go. Wasn't asking for a price match, OBC, expenses between cruises or anything. Just asked to let us pay the NR rate for refundable - just like we had.

I'm sorry - that stinks to high heaven of plain old price gouging to me - taking advantage of a situation that they 100% created in the first place. We declined to book it.

Disgusted.

Isn't Indy leaving from Southhampton in 2019?

$1200pp is a ridiculous price difference....but why not book NR as you are really only risking $200pp.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

But she tells me that when it comes close to sail, every time (without fail), there is always drama with a few people changing their plans and demanding a full refund, even though they have policies where refunds are only given if they cancel 3 months out. Some people cause so much drama that the members who organized the cruise just give the refund to them just to keep peace. The problem with that is it usually at a loss to the members or the organization because the cruise company will not reimburse them.

That just sounds like a boat load of fun. I can't wait to be an old person. ;p

Sometimes it is useful to look at it from the other side of the spectrum too. This story is a good reminder of that.

$1200 does seem a bit high to me. However, if I had to guess where there was a big risk to the cruise line, I would say this itinerary is a prime candidate. Some people may think there is no "cost difference" in refundable vs non. Then as the cruise line, you see people wanting to drop out at the last minute, making it tough to fill.

Disgusted.

Book the non refundable and don't change ship or date. Problem solved

Royal usually only offers one similar cruise ship at Guaranteed price protection to replace original canceled cruise. You namally can't just pick a different ship, if do you will may to pay more. No "gouging" . I was supposed be on the Rhapsody Repo Fall 2017 that was canceled. Was a 13 nite and had the Jr Suite Aft Corner wrap around balcony. Offer was price protected on Serenade for one less nite, going to/from different ports, and wasn't a Aft wrap around. Though would get $450 OBC, was sailing myself. Like you, no 100% guarantee. I could have picked different ship and paid $1200 more. Is what it is...