FREEDOM SPRING BREAK trip report with PICS! 3/25-3/31

Hi everyone and welcome to my trip report for the March 25, 2018 sailing of Freedom of the Seas!

Yes, I know today is March 22...and no, it's not a live report. However, I am SUPER excited for this trip so I just thought I would get this ship sailing :)

My main objective in starting this report early was to offer my perspective and expectations on what I think this cruise is going to be like, so my opinion isn't changed by how the trip actually was. Also, I want to be able to answer any questions you guys may have about Freedom! There haven't been too many in depth reviews of Freedom in the past few months, so if you're sailing on her soon (or are just curious), please let me know before I sail and I will be sure to find an answer for you!

So with that being said, let's go!

So first, a little about my family and me:

Hi! My name's Andy and I'm a senior in high school. I live near Tampa/St. Pete and can't wait to go to the University of Florida in the fall! I'm 17 so I hope to offer a different perspective than others on this forum. I've been on three cruises prior to this one: Carnival Paradise in 2012, Enchantment OTS in 2014, and Navigator OTS in 2017. If you'd like, you can read my Navigator trip report from last March in my signature!

I'm going to be sailing with my two younger siblings and my parents. Additionally, my aunt, uncle, and cousins from Maryland will also be sailing with us. It is their first cruise, so I'm almost more excited for them than I am for myself...almost ;)

About our cruise:

We are sailing on the six night Western Caribbean itinerary, so we will stop in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. In Grand Cayman, we booked the Pedro St. James and Turtle Swim excursion through Royal Caribbean. I'm looking forward to this excursion, as I love turtles and this is our first time back to Grand Cayman since 2012 (we did Stingray City then). Our next stop is Costa Maya and my mom and I plan on doing the Mayan Experience tour through Native Choice. I've heard stellar things about this company, so I am so looking forward to seeing my first Mayan ruin! Finally, in Cozumel, we don't really have any plans...we might walk around the port area a little but most likely, we will just stay on the ship and enjoy it with no crowds :)

We've reserved two rooms onboard: the Ben and Jerry's "sweet" and a similar hump balcony cabin to the one we had on Navigator. These rooms are not close whatsoever, but I absolutely love the hump location and when we saw the B+J cabin available we just had to book it. I'll be sure to take pics of both cabins!

I'm really looking forward to sailing on Freedom. I loved Navigator and all it had to offer, so a ship that is basically Navigator 2.0 sounds just as fun. I can't wait to go ice skating and see the shows (I still have some of that Winter Olympics hype) and to chill in the hot tubs that hang over the side of the ship in the Solarium. Additionally, my mom and I are DETERMINED to win at trivia, as we came in second place before but had never won those coveted RC knick knacks...

We will be on this cruise with you IF our flight leaves MN. Another winter storm warning....

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I've seen you in the roll call! I'm hoping the best for you...

We will be on FOS in September so really looking forward to your perspective. This will be our first RCCL cruise, we've done Celebrity and Norwegian.

Awesome! We've been thinking of trying both, so chime in if you'd like to offer your opinion on how the others are different!

DAY -2

I honestly don't know if anyone is interested in the days before the cruise, but this is functioning as a journal of sorts for me as well so I want to include the whole spring break experience, haha.

The week at school dragged by like a snail, especially because we weren't doing anything of value. Luckily, tomorrow (Friday) is unofficial "senior skip day", so none of my teachers were planning on anything. Most of them were saying stuff like "come to school, but if you don't, we're not surprised".

Needless to say it felt great walking out to my car, keys in hand, knowing that spring break has officially begun.

When I got home, I started making my packing list and relaxed for a little before my friend and I went to volunteer at a local soup kitchen (we do it every Thursday). Volunteering was easy as pie today, it was the "cookout" week so it flew by and we had fun.

I just got home and plan on doing a little homework so I don't have to do it all when I get back. I should also work on my packing list, but I might want to go to bed early (I'm finally not drowning in the work of six APs).

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to seeing a movie with my friends, a little pre-cruise clothes shopping, and to start packing!

01aabb19068e1b183455efea49228cfa.jpg

You know it’s getting close when...of course we have already checked in, luggage tags and boarding passes printed [emoji4]

Also that last line: “the world’s largest cruise ship”. Oh Royal...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Feb 25th 6 night sailng of FOS. If you have any questions before you sail I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Awesome! I actually do have a question (I probably have more but I can only remember one right now).

What was the all aboard time in Costa Maya?

Awesome! I actually do have a question (I probably have more but I can only remember one right now).

What was the all aboard time in Costa Maya?

We were there until 7 PM. I think back on board was 6:30

I will be boarding as you are leaving! Also spring break for me (teacher here!), also tampa/st pete area (clearwater area actually). Hope you enjoy your week and then go back to studying for those AP exams!

I will be boarding as you are leaving! Also spring break for me (teacher here!), also tampa/st pete area (clearwater area actually). Hope you enjoy your week and then go back to studying for those AP exams!

I’m a little south of Clearwater! And for sure...my calc teacher gave us a giant packet over break. Once we get back there is barely over a month before the exams... :eek:

I just finished reading your trip report from your Navigator cruise. What an enjoyable report to read! You're an excellent writer. Great photos too. Now I'm really looking forward to this report. Have a great time on your cruise!

Nice work on this report. My wife and I will be on FOS in July from San Juan.

Incidentally, we are from Maryland and our daughter lives in Tampa at USF where she is a Junior.

Looking forward to your trip report with pictures of the ship.

Have a great time!!!

I may just watch your sail away on Sunday!!!

Looking forward to your review. Funny about how your email said worlds larges cruise ship. I was on Freedom when she was still the largest in 2008. I will be on her again in 3 more weeks doing the Eastern Itinerary. Safe travels and have a great cruise.

Looking forward to your review. Funny about how your email said worlds larges cruise ship. I was on Freedom when she was still the largest in 2008. I will be on her again in 3 more weeks doing the Eastern Itinerary. Safe travels and have a great cruise.

We will be right along with you! Cant wait!

OP- Enjoy your cruise, cant wait to read all about it!:D