Notes from a short cruise to Hamburg

Host Hattie

We're joining Queen Victoria later today for her 4 day trip to Hamburg and back.

It's our first time back onboard since November 2016 so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes.

We stayed overnight in Brockenhurst, had a lovely dinner and very comfortable room but breakfast service was a bit disappointing, tea took 20 minutes to arrive and mine was wrong when it did !

We're leaving our car here and getting a taxi to Southampton.

Have a lovely time. Have a look at the Britannia Club restaurant, it is very nice.
I certainly will, we'll be eating in there !

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Waiting in our hotel reception, somebody has just arrived to collect his car after 3 months on Queen Victoria !

Hope you have a wonderful time. We're boarding when you get off for the voyage to the Canaries. The last time we were on board like you was November 2016 ( same cruise in fact!). It will be nice to see QV after her refit.

Charles & Janet

I really fancied staying on board for that trip but my holiday allowance wouldn't stretch that far !

Lunch in the Golden LionIMG_20180323_123107.thumb.jpg.1d6ad540397bd49eee48e9503eb5e5d8.jpg

According to the Daily Programme, Pub Dinner is available between 6pm & 8.30pm.

Is that new ? I haven't noticed it offered before.

Edited by Host Hattie

We are on board and the weather isn’t too bad so far, a little sun at times.

Looked around Brittania Club restaurant and it is beautiful - better than Queens Grill I think although we did get our embarkation lunch. Why do they not offer that for Club I wonder?

At a loss as to understand why they do not have table and chairs on the QG balcony (particularly the Q6’s with their quite deep balcony). Removed at refit I am told - when they changed the furniture.

Lunch in the Golden Lion[ATTACH]417450[/ATTACH]

According to the Daily Programme, Pub Dinner is available between 6pm & 8.30pm.

Is that new ? I haven't noticed it offered before.

we had Pub Dinner on QV in 2014 but have not been back on her since, not seen it on QE

Day 1

Our taxi left Brockenhurst at 11.25 and an hour later we were having lunch in the Golden Lion. Fish and chips for 2, nice thick piece of cod with a light batter. They were out of draught Marstons Pedigree but apparently Fuller's Seafarer was a very acceptable substitute.

We went to have a look at the new enlarged Lido pool area, very nice but a little chilly in the breeze. The Lido itself was pretty busy by this point, we found a sheltered sofa in the sun by the Pavilion Bar, it really was quite warm.

Bags had arrived so we unpacked and got the Safety drill over with. Rather than join the queue for a lift, we made our way to the Golden Lion for a drink. There was a jazz sailaway in the Commodore Club which was packed so we retired to our balcony until the cold drove us indoors.

We went back to the Commodore Club for just before 7 for the second set and a window seat in the almost empty room. Then to the Gin & Fizz bar and finally to the Britannia Club for dinner.

IMG_20180323_193539_1.thumb.jpg.3fa1ee415a5c168f9c21cde236068211.jpg

IMG_20180323_193544.thumb.jpg.e923a61ff859fdc7256de955ee4882e4.jpg

We were the last of our table to arrive, one too many cocktails on the way ! We are on a table for 6 as requested but currently laid for 8. There are several empty tables for 2 around us.

I had starter and main course from the a la carte and one of my favourite chocolate desserts from the standard menu.

The room itself is beautiful and the chairs extremely comfortable.

We didn't fancy the show and ended up back in the Golden Lion for a Brandy Alexander and trivia. We don't normally take part as I'm a terrible loser but we managed 14, the winning score was 15 from a team of around 8.

Another round and it was time for bed, we're losing an hour tonight and tomorrow.

It's good to be back onboard.

We've got the Platinum internet package, 265 minutes including embarkation bonus. Speed is bearable for web browsing.

Day 2 - At Sea

We managed to get to the restaurant in time for breakfast, I had stewed fruit with yogurt. Mr HH managed Eggs Benedict as well. We were 4 for breakfast, our table companions had enjoyed the show last night. We made it to the second lecture of the day, the title didn't really match the content as we only heard about one poisoner.

We had a wander through the shops, no alcohol or tobacco as we're not leaving the EU and 20% vat on most prices. It didn't seem to stop people spending.

The Noon announcement mentioned that the sail along the Elbe would take 7 1/2 hours, I had no idea !

We were a different 4 for lunch, we tried the duck off the spa menu, it was very good.

We caught up with emails etc outside the new Chart Room and then I went to the Commodore Club for a small but perfectly formed CC meeting !

It is a rather eerie day, very still and grey. The fog horn started sounded as we were leaving.

Tonight is now Formal optional which has displeased some as the VP showed 4 Informal nights.

IMG_20180324_095504_BURST001_COVER.thumb.jpg.f828eb5e6f6e2fa237e06ae69c92f048.jpg

IMG_20180324_140852.thumb.jpg.187a1bbb332eb88c347b9e32f1c90cf2.jpg

Hi Hattie , thank you for your reports from QV. Happy following you as I have quite a few friends travelling on this cruise. You will more than likely meet them in the Commodore😉 Some of them are members of this forum.

Have fun.