Suggestion on what to do in San Juan Del Sur for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

We going to San Juan Del Sur on a cruise next year. We're never been here before.

I was wondering what did you do there for the day?? and what would you recommend doing there for the day??

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nicaraguatournetwork.com/lakes-volcanoes

Used this tour group last year. Long drive but great service and destinations. Just DW and self. Boat excursion was a highlight.

While our guide was exactly on time throughout the tour, due to the long distances from the ship you should be aware of time and distance too.

• 2 months later...

SJDS is a small beach town popular with backpackers. The main beach of the town is quite dirty. There are better beaches away from the town but you would need a taxi to reach them, you would need to research which ones are popular. There is zip lining nearby but I have not done it there.

Depending how much time you have in port I would recommend you try and find a tour to take you to either Granada (cute colonial town), Masaya (volcano) or Ometepe islands.

I have been there both on land and via a cruise. Recently on our cruise the tendering process (NCLStar) was so laborious that people were waiting for more than 4 hours to get ashore so you would need to be careful with a private tour. The ship excursions were more than an hour late getting back.

There is a walk up to the j.c statute, just double check safety beforehand, things seemed ok on our recent visit but it has had some issues in years gone by (the town not the walk necessarily).

• 2 weeks later...
We going to San Juan Del Sur on a cruise next year. We're never been here before.

I was wondering what did you do there for the day?? and what would you recommend doing there for the day??

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :cool:

We loved the town. Make sure to buy some cashews from street venders walking around. The people were very nice. A lot of repetitious souvenirs. Just seem to be a lot of hikers and a lotta hostels in town. It was fun to just sit and watch the people going about.

When you cruise out of Port make sure you watch outside there’s lots of turtles and dolphins.i spent two days on my balcony watching.it was amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...

Hi,

We are usually quite independent but since this is a tender port we booked a cruise ship tour as that makes it easier to get off the ship.

We also enjoyed the visit to the hacienda at the edge of Lake Nicaragua.

DH didn't want lunch so we booked the shorter tour with just a drink. It was quite nice there!