Currently on Uniworld's Splendors of Egypt & the Nile

djett

Just read your blog. Our Egyptologist was Mohamed Raghib. While there are of course many Egyptians with the name Mohamed, if yours is the same Mohamed, he will take great care of you (as will any Uniworld guide). We had interesting informal conversations with him about life in Egypt while cruising on the Nile.

I'll be reading your blog for sure! I know Uniworld typically offers some kind of a gentle walkers tour for most places. On the Europe rivers for example. Something a little less strenuous than their regular tour. Do you know if they are offering something like this for Egypt?

I'll be reading your blog for sure! I know Uniworld typically offers some kind of a gentle walkers tour for most places. On the Europe rivers for example. Something a little less strenuous than their regular tour. Do you know if they are offering something like this for Egypt?

So far they have not. We have 32 people aboard and they split us into two groups with our own Egyptologist. This is different from the practice in Europe.

Do you remember if they offered any gentle excursions for slower walkers? Or in general how difficult were the majority of the walking excursions? Thank you for your help.

We had 28 Uniworld passengers on our cruise, with one Egyptologist. I suspect that until the ships sail again at capacity there may not be slow walker groups. Having said that, we had two passengers with limited walking ability. At our first excursion to a temple, one slipped on the uneven ground and fell. After that, a Uniworld staff member accompanied them and even helped one of them across a plank to a felucca for a sail on the Nile.

I wouldn't call most of the walking difficult, if you watch where you're going on the sometimes uneven ground. There was some climbing up or down temple stairs and down into tombs in the Valley of the Kings. I didn't enter the pyramids but It I understand that was more challenging. In general, there were no places to sit and rest at the temple sites. We usually had a twenty to thirty minute or so leisurely walk through the temple sites with the Egyptologist and then a good amount of time to explore on our own.

I had to remind myself to watch where I was walking, due to gaping at the ancient, awesome sites! It's an absolutely fascinating trip for anyone interested in ancient history, as well as a little glimpse into modern Egypt.

Thanks for sharing the blog link. I left you a comment there, but I’ll post here as well.

“Looking forward to following along. We hope to do a DIY overland trip and combine it with a river cruise next January. We were in Luxor for an overnight this year in May ... the temp was 102-104F ... not fun. If you have a chance to do a hot air balloon ride, do it ... we really enjoyed ours, which went over many of the main sites on the West Bank.”

We had 28 Uniworld passengers on our cruise, with one Egyptologist. I suspect that until the ships sail again at capacity there may not be slow walker groups. Having said that, we had two passengers with limited walking ability. At our first excursion to a temple, one slipped on the uneven ground and fell. After that, a Uniworld staff member accompanied them and even helped one of them across a plank to a felucca for a sail on the Nile.

I wouldn't call most of the walking difficult, if you watch where you're going on the sometimes uneven ground. There was some climbing up or down temple stairs and down into tombs in the Valley of the Kings. I didn't enter the pyramids but It I understand that was more challenging. In general, there were no places to sit and rest at the temple sites. We usually had a twenty to thirty minute or so leisurely walk through the temple sites with the Egyptologist and then a good amount of time to explore on our own.

I had to remind myself to watch where I was walking, due to gaping at the ancient, awesome sites! It's an absolutely fascinating trip for anyone interested in ancient history, as well as a little glimpse into modern Egypt.

Thank you!

OPTIONAL ALEXANDRIA TRIP: After we boarded the ship we were told that there was an optional excursion to Alexandria for those who could stay an extra day. It is a full-day trip because it is a three hour drive each way. We couldn't take advantage of it because we'd already booked our airfare. Uniworld had made no mention of this excursion.

Thanks for sharing the blog link. I left you a comment there, but I’ll post here as well.

“Looking forward to following along. We hope to do a DIY overland trip and combine it with a river cruise next January. We were in Luxor for an overnight this year in May ... the temp was 102-104F ... not fun. If you have a chance to do a hot air balloon ride, do it ... we really enjoyed ours, which went over many of the main sites on the West Bank.”

The potential problem with a hot air balloon flight is the direction of the wind.

On our flight, some years ago, the wind was in the wrong direction , took us away from the intended sites, and, because we landed well away from the intended location, involved a lengthy wait in blazing sun waiting to be picked up.

OPTIONAL ALEXANDRIA TRIP: After we boarded the ship we were told that there was an optional excursion to Alexandria for those who could stay an extra day. It is a full-day trip because it is a three hour drive each way. We couldn't take advantage of it because we'd already booked our airfare. Uniworld had made no mention of this excursion.

We had the same announcement after we boarded. Had we known, we definitely would have booked it. Any future travelers with Uniworld might want to inquire about this when they book.

In the Roll call section on Uniworld Egypt, I posted extensively about the Alexandria tour option.

Spring Tours told us about the various tour options when they picked us up at the airport, the day prior to Day 1. The entire group was told on Day1 when given the option of signing up for Abu Simbel.

I agree that Uniworld is a jerk for not informing its cruisers of this option. The tour was available for early arrival on Day1 and after the regular cruise.

Yes, I did do the balloon ride at a cost of $120 person for about a one hour ride over the Valley of the Kings and surrounding area. It was wonderful and well worth it.

Just read your blog. Our Egyptologist was Mohamed Raghib. While there are of course many Egyptians with the name Mohamed, if yours is the same Mohamed, he will take great care of you (as will any Uniworld guide). We had interesting informal conversations with him about life in Egypt while cruising on the Nile.

Our Egyptologist is Mohamed Attia Abdalla. I asked him if he knew Raghib and they're best friends. He immediately texted him that he had gotten a positive mention on the web site. He said that due to the lack of tourism, guides are rotated so that everyone gets some work. We feel very lucky to have received such a wonderful guide.

Our Egyptologist is Mohamed Attia Abdalla. I asked him if he knew Raghib and they're best friends. He immediately texted him that he had gotten a positive mention on the web site. He said that due to the lack of tourism, guides are rotated so that everyone gets some work. We feel very lucky to have received such a wonderful guide.

Interesting they are friends. We we were told that the great Tosca crew is employed elsewhere between the Uniworld sailings.

Thanks for your blogs -- we feel as if we're reliving the cruise.

djett, have you had the need to use Egyptian Pounds yet? Did you get any from the ATM and if so, at the airport or at/near your hotel? Can you talk a little about using currency in Egypt, whether it be local currency or USD.

I am enjoying your blog and photos.

djett, have you had the need to use Egyptian Pounds yet? Did you get any from the ATM and if so, at the airport or at/near your hotel? Can you talk a little about using currency in Egypt, whether it be local currency or USD.

I am enjoying your blog and photos.

Uniworld uses the Four Seasons Hotel (which is beautiful) in Cairo. Upon arrival we used the ATM in the lobby to obtain Egyptian Pounds. This is fine except you don’t get the small bills such as 5 Pound notes which you have to give to every restroom attendant. The next day we went to the bank which is in the shopping mall that is attached to the hotel. There we changed large bills for smaller bills. You cannot purchase Egyptian Pounds at the bank but they will give you smaller bills. Most street vendors will accept Pounds or dollars. Larger establishments will take credit cards. You will need a supply of 5 Pound Egyptian notes for your restroom visits. On board the ship, they will sell you Pounds at the government set conversion rate. You cannot use U.S. coins for anything because the Egyptian citizens are unable to use it.