Have you done a pre-cruise tour of Amsterdam?

clemsongal

Hello WONDERFUL Cruise critic readers!

You always answer my questions that no one else, including the cruise lines, can!

So I have another question: We are cruising Viking next July from Amsterdam to Basel, and would like to do a half day tour in Amsterdam........do you have any recommendations?

One more question: How early can I drop the luggage off at the longship, or if I can't, what do I do with that luggage while taking a tour?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi, I sailed from Amsterdam in 2016 and did a tour pre-cruise with a company called HUNGRY BIRDS:D. It is a culinary tour......you stop at quite a few places and it is a lot of fun:D. Google the name and you can find their website.

You always answer my questions that no one else, including the cruise lines, can!

So I have another question: We are cruising Viking next July from Amsterdam to Basel, and would like to do a half day tour in Amsterdam........do you have any recommendations?

One more question: How early can I drop the luggage off at the longship, or if I can't, what do I do with that luggage while taking a tour?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

You may want to consider getting the Viking pre-cruise pkg which includes 2 nights in Amsterdam. Viking has a number of designated hotels and they put us in Radisson Blu. The main advantage of booking a pre-cruise pkg and if you have Viking booked your flights is Viking will pick you up at the airport and take you straight to the hotel so you can drop off the luggage if your room is not ready and pick you back up again on the day of embarkation. Amsterdam is a fascinating city with lots to see. The van Gogh and Ric museums are excellent and you can easily spend half a day there not to mention the beautiful canal cruises.

I have been to Amsterdam many times, used to live in Holland for a few months. If you only have half a day you will only scratch the surface. I would recommend two things: do a canal boat tour, which you can pick up on the Damrak near the Centraal Station. There are other stops if you do your research, but these ones are fairly obvious and centrally located. Second, go to the Rijksmuseum, or, if you're into WW II history, Anne Frank House. Those two will keep you occupied until boarding time.

I agree with the above poster. If you have not been to Amsterdam previously and you have the time, I would fly in several days early. (This also makes traveling much less stressful in case of airline delays.) Even with out the transfers, you can do a pre-stay on your own much cheaper. The taxis from the airport are easy and there is so much to do in Amsterdam. The two major museums and the Anne Frank house are the top attractions, but also just wandering the streets and the canal cruise are also popular.

I agree, go a least a day ahead. We have been to Amsterdam twice for both pre and post cruise stays and we saw something new for each visit. If you simply cannot stay overnight, do go to the Anne Frank House (book tickets ahead of time.)

We toured the house with some friends from Germany. They had driven over for the night and were carrying a small suitcase when we toured the AFH. Since "baggage" was not allowed, they were instructed to check the suitcase "around the corner". Not sure where that was, but there must be a place nearby that will hold your luggage for a fee. ;) Or simply stay overnight in a hotel and your luggage can be kept there...even after checking out.

Time permitting, then go to the Van Gogh museum. It's not as large as the Rijks. Once again, book tickets ahead of time. Still more time? Take that canal trip. On our first Amsterdam visit, we were able to do only the first two before boarding around 2:00pm. And we had stayed the night prior so were up and out early!

So you are a Clemson fan. ;) I grew up in that area. My brother went to Clemson. I went to Carolina. :D

Our flight arrived at 930am. A Viking bus took us to the boat where we were met by the cruise director and staff. We were able to get a bite to eat and leave our bags with them until the 3pm checkin.

As for things to do until then, we scheduled a wine and gouda cheese tasting at https://www.reypenaercheese.com/en/home. It was a fun way to kill time and is only a block away from the Anne Frank House. As others have mentioned, the AF house is also fun but you have to schedule that long in advance. Also, if Viking isn't doing a canal tour, take one of the many offered near Centraal Station.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Anne Frank House is a good place to start as it's not far from the city centre.She was the Jewish girl who wrote her diaries whilst hiding from the ****s during the second world war.

Some people like walking around the red light district as it's a tourist attraction again close to the city centre.

There are many canal's and you can book a boat tour sailing up the canals.

There is a lot to do in Amsterdam, as others have said...if you're able to spend a few days before your cruise, that would be ideal.

Just depends on your interests and what you like to do...we've done the canal boat rides in the past, and they're very popular, but I personally would not make a point to take one again. I don't think you get the feel for the city on the ride, and they're basically a tourist trap. Just my opinion though - to each their own! :)

Amsterdam is VERY walkable (and bikeable!), people in the city are friendly...you'll have a great time. The Anne Frank House is a must see (IMHO). The Rijksmuseum is excellent. And the Van Gogh Museum is lovely, if that is an interest for you. There are lots of great restaurants, cafes etc We always like to go to the oldest pancake house. :)

Visit the Secret Church in the Attic, if you're able! It's so intriguing!

https://www.amsterdam.info/museums/museum_lordattic/

We've been to Amsterdam quite a few times over the years, most recently - this past April (not on a cruise trip). We like walking tours, and this time in the city we took one from a company that we had not used before "FreeDam Tours", and it was terrific. If you decide to book with them, see if you can request the owner, Sergio Monni, as your guide.

FreeDam Tours

https://www.freedamtours.com/

Edited by CutieKakes

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I don't think anyone has answered your question re how early you can drop off your luggage at the ship. I believe you can drop it off whenever you get there, because the ship will dock the night before so that passengers can disembark that morning (some of them very early!). Viking will hold your luggage while you visit the city and will place it in your cabin when it's ready.

We did Viking's 2-night pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam this past July, and Viking collected our luggage in the morning for transport to the ship. We went off and toured more of Amsterdam on our own, then reported to the ship around 3 or 4 PM by which time our cabin was ready.

If you like flowers an interesting early morning activity would be to take a bus to the Aalsmeer flower auction. Huge building filled with blooms getting ready to be shipped world wide. Huge, as in acres and acres in size with an elevated walkway for you to observe from.

They are not open every day and it is best to get there very early. When we were there we were back to our hotel for the included breakfast before it finished, so I think we were in Aalsmeer by 6:30 - 7:00am.

RB

So you are a Clemson fan. ;) I grew up in that area. My brother went to Clemson. I went to Carolina. :D

LOL! So who did your parents pull for in football, Clemson or Carolina?

Both, + Georgia! My Dad went there. But for the big game, probably Clemson. They just wouldn't tell their two sons-in-law who were USC graduates. :D

Do not walk on any path / sidewalk that is red or sort of faded red. These are for the cyclists.

Those paths really should be painted a more visible color. They blend in too well with the streets and the walking sidewalks. I was almost run down by a scooter that decided to take the bike path. It's really best to do your walking hanging close to a building. And when it's time to cross a street or get a tram, be very cautious! :eek: