The recurring tonic question! Anyone on Journey now?

gymfreak

I did read a great deal of the threads and I was curious if they stock DIET tonic. The brand doesn't matter.

If the only diet tonic is Royal Club, you might regret saying that the brand doesn’t matter. It’s pretty vile. :D I hope to see some sugar-free Schweppes or Canada Dry on our cruise in March.

There is currently lots of Diet Schweppes on board Journey at present.

Not a lot of real Schweppes and the bad news is, they rolled out crates of Royal Club yesterday.

Norn Iron

I hope you had sufficient illicit or otherwise stocks to celebrate yesterday. Too many Scottish schoolboy errors, but the Irish boys done great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe a lot of supporters my son included (from how I saw him 24 hours later [emoji3]) enjoyed helping in the celebrations post Paris and forgot the earlier result. A great party was had by all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

We are due to board Journey in three weeks, can any recent cruisers update me on the Tonic Water situation?

I know Richard Twynham stated earlier in the year that all the AZ ships whilst based in Europe would serve Schweppes, yet Riocca posted from Pursuit's maiden voyage that the dreaded royal club (it doesn't deserve capitals) had appeared.

I just don't fancy trudging around Barcelona looking to bring on my own tonic water supplies.

I want to thank all those who have brought up the tonic issue, as I learned a lot about G&Ts. We took the Viking British Isles Explorer cruise last month, followed by 10 days on our own in England – I was able to taste several flavours of FeverTree [it is so good that I could even drink it straight], and bought a bottle of Silent Pool gin to bring home. Haven't had a chance to crack it yet, but I'm looking forward to Silent Pool with FeverTree Elderflower tonic. [During the Secret Cottage tour of the Cotswolds, our hostess served an elderflower non-alcoholic drink that was lovely.]

I want to thank all those who have brought up the tonic issue, as I learned a lot about G&Ts. We took the Viking British Isles Explorer cruise last month, followed by 10 days on our own in England – I was able to taste several flavours of FeverTree [it is so good that I could even drink it straight], and bought a bottle of Silent Pool gin to bring home. Haven't had a chance to crack it yet, but I'm looking forward to Silent Pool with FeverTree Elderflower tonic. [During the Secret Cottage tour of the Cotswolds, our hostess served an elderflower non-alcoholic drink that was lovely.]

Hi

Not sure from your post if Viking stocked Fever Tree or you experienced it on your subsequent land tour.

We were served Fever Tree as standard on a Crystal cruise and I am led to believe other lines have followed suit.

I really hope Azamara will move in this direction, especially when we often purchase the upgraded drinks package and then have very inferior mixers with quality gins.

Have to agree they are so good that they can be served on their own, but nothing beats a quality G&T!

Vicki

I am going on a P&O mini cruise on Friday. They serve more than 30 gin drinks, cocktails and martini's. They also do Gin Flights where you can sample three unusual gins. I will be trying a few of them! 😄🍸

All of the P&O tonics are Fever Tree. If a standard line like P&O can do it then why can't Azamara? Yes, we know Fever Tree is expensive but we don't mind paying for the best...,just give us the option please Azamara.

Hi

Not sure from your post if Viking stocked Fever Tree or you experienced it on your subsequent land tour.

Vicki

Not on Viking. But every restaurant or pub in Britain that didn't use 'the hose' for tonic seemed to stock FeverTree.

Good news for US readers: both Whole Foods and Target stock FeverTree, so I now have a nice stock of both Indian and Elderflower at home.

Each line will have its own marketing focus. Just so happens at the moment that P & O are big into celebrating 180 years of gin and all the trimmings that go with it. Sorry Lottie. Not even all that would tempt me to P & O. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me. I’ll forego the Fever Tree and enjoy the rest!;)

I do honestly feel this subject has gone way beyond its sell by date.

Phil

Each line will have its own marketing focus. Just so happens at the moment that P & O are big into celebrating 180 years of gin and all the trimmings that go with it. Sorry Lottie. Not even all that would tempt me to P & O. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me. I’ll forego the Fever Tree and enjoy the rest!;)

I do honestly feel this subject has gone way beyond its sell by date.

Phil

Phil, P&0 have had Fever Tree and a huge selection of excellent Gins for many years. Not just since Gin has become so fashionable.

I know your drink is a Vodka Msrtini with a twist so the tonic doesn't matter so much for you. However, for those of us who enjoy a good G&T there is no way that I would drink one on Azamara with that abysmal Royal tonic.

I don't think this topic is going away either because it matters to the many gin drinkers amongst Azamara cruisers.

As for P&Onot being for you....well, No it wouldn't be! 😄

I enjoy the little mini cruises though...think I have done about 15 now and it's a great alternative to a city break. There are three of us going on Friday and I know we will have a great time.

Not on Viking. But every restaurant or pub in Britain that didn't use 'the hose' for tonic seemed to stock FeverTree.

Good news for US readers: both Whole Foods and Target stock FeverTree, so I now have a nice stock of both Indian and Elderflower at home.

What tonic does Viking stock?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Phil, P&0 have had Fever Tree and a huge selection of excellent Gins for many years. Not just since Gin has become so fashionable.

I know your drink is a Vodka Msrtini with a twist so the tonic doesn't matter so much for you. However, for those of us who enjoy a good G&T there is no way that I would drink one on Azamara with that abysmal Royal tonic.

I don't think this topic is going away either because it matters to the many gin drinkers amongst Azamara cruisers.

As for P&Onot being for you....well, No it wouldn't be! 😄

I enjoy the little mini cruises though...think I have done about 15 now and it's a great alternative to a city break. There are three of us going on Friday and I know we will have a great time.

I drink Fever Tree on BA. They have it. Even easyjet have it if you pay for it. If it's there I will drink it because I like it. I just don't think Azamara are going to stock it anytime soon. For ages there has been a desire for an included brandy too. Nothing seems to happen. The best way to pass this along the line if there is a desire to stock it is by completing the half way through questionnaire and post cruise survey. At least Journey was stocking Schweppes this month.and last. No sign of that awful Royal Club stuff, but for sure it will be back depending upon where the ship is.

Phil

I drink Fever Tree on BA. They have it. Even easyjet have it if you pay for it. If it's there I will drink it because I like it. I just don't think Azamara are going to stock it anytime soon. For ages there has been a desire for an included brandy too. Nothing seems to happen. The best way to pass this along the line if there is a desire to stock it is by completing the half way through questionnaire and post cruise survey. At least Journey was stocking Schweppes this month.and last. No sign of that awful Royal Club stuff, but for sure it will be back depending upon where the ship is.

Phil

They don't seem to care what people think and show no sign of changing things to including a Brandy or a decent Scotch.

I agree that the horrible tonic will appear again depending on where they take on stock.

I am not sure it’s that they don’t care. It’s just not a focus. Azamara must garner enough opinions, aside from the commentary here and deem that it isn’t necessary to include them in the complimentary drinks menu. Ages ago I saw posts similar to what we see now and the then CBO, Bill Lieber commented that the included drinks were always under review, but nothing has happened so I am guessing it isn’t deemed a priority.

Phil

I posted earlier this year, having received a case of Schweppes in our cabin courtesy of the 'Bar Manager' (whose name I forget) on Journey.

During our conversation about Tonic water, he commented "Head Office don't listen"

The same can be said about a quality Scotch (or an Irish!) and Brandy,

I am not sure it’s that they don’t care. It’s just not a focus. Azamara must garner enough opinions, aside from the commentary here and deem that it isn’t necessary to include them in the complimentary drinks menu. Ages ago I saw posts similar to what we see now and the then CBO, Bill Lieber commented that the included drinks were always under review, but nothing has happened so I am guessing it isn’t deemed a priority.

Phil

That's ok. If you are happy with 'well' gin, you would probably be ok with Royal Club tonic. But when you pay extra for Tanqueray 10 or Hendricks [or better], you should be able to get a tonic that does the gin justice.

That's ok. If you are happy with 'well' gin, you would probably be ok with Royal Club tonic. But when you pay extra for Tanqueray 10 or Hendricks [or better], you should be able to get a tonic that does the gin justice.

You cannot be serious? (to quote one of your countrymen).

The tonic probably makes more difference to a G&T than the gin - unless you drink it 50:50.

Royal Club tonic is vile - it is a waste of a can/CO2/water - everything. It has no 'tonicy' taste at all. All it does is dilute and ruin any gin it is added to.

Gordons and Schweppes is an acceptable drink (particularly when it is included). Besides, after 3 or 4 large ones - who cares?:D

I had to Google "well" gin but now know the difference between "well" and "call".

Sadly I think that the Royal Club tonic ruins any G & T (whatever standard or quality of gin) and is just not worth drinking.

In the UK most bars now offer Fever Tree or Fentimans tonic (or, at the very least, Schweppes) and though I am now resigned to the fact that these will never be available on Azamara I am still disappointed.

Edited by workingtocruise-59

You cannot be serious? (to quote one of your countrymen).

The tonic probably makes more difference to a G&T than the gin - unless you drink it 50:50.

Royal Club tonic is vile - it is a waste of a can/CO2/water - everything. It has no 'tonicy' taste at all. All it does is dilute and ruin any gin it is added to.

Gordons and Schweppes is an acceptable drink (particularly when it is included). Besides, after 3 or 4 large ones - who cares?:D

Yes to every word of this. Good tonic lifts an average gin, but bad tonic drags a good gin down.