Explorer Cruises on Fram

MMDown Under

We have done NE Greenland and the Svalbard circumnavigation in addition to our Antarctic trips.

That sounds like a wonderful cruise, Digiti. I am doing the cruise from Kangerlussuaq Greenland south and wondered whether Fram handles their polarkirkel boats in a similar way to their Antarctica cruises. I know the excursions are extra cost. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Two cruises!

Fram in the Arctic is the same as Fram in the Antarctic. Just don't expect penguins and don't be surprised if polar bears and walrus turn up...

Thanks. I don't expect to see a polar bear (too far south ?), but a walrus might be a possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting excited about my cruise from Greenland next month. I have been following bloggers, on Sea Princess World Cruise from Australia, who recently visited two ports in Greenland.

Surprised that there is no one else on CC who will be cruising on this cruise from Greenland on MS Fram.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting excited about my cruise from Greenland next month. I have been following bloggers, on Sea Princess World Cruise from Australia, who recently visited two ports in Greenland.

Surprised that there is no one else on CC who will be cruising on this cruise from Greenland on MS Fram.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Been looking at Hurtigruten for a while now but then I think about the warm clothing we will have to purchase or can you rent in Bergen perhaps? Also where is the best place to book with Hurtigruten? Noticed a trip in the "Australian" paper today a pkg for polar inside ms Trollfjord $6k incl air fare and 5 night accom.

Your upcoming trip looks great btw.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Been looking at Hurtigruten for a while now but then I think about the warm clothing we will have to purchase or can you rent in Bergen perhaps? Also where is the best place to book with Hurtigruten? Noticed a trip in the "Australian" paper today a pkg for polar inside ms Trollfjord $6k incl air fare and 5 night accom.

Your upcoming trip looks great btw.

I book direct with Hurtigruten in Norway because I have cruised with them before. They give you a credit as a repeat guest. However, there is an Australian Agent.

Being from the tropics I love cold weather clothes. I find if you have a warm close fitting felt hat, gloves, scarf, plus merino layers, you are set. Hurtigruten give you a windproof jacket on their Explorer cruises. If you think you won't wear the clothes again, you can always visit an Op Shop for local bargains suitable for the weather.

I book direct with Hurtigruten in Norway because I have cruised with them before. They give you a credit as a repeat guest. However, there is an Australian Agent.

Being from the tropics I love cold weather clothes. I find if you have a warm close fitting felt hat, gloves, scarf, plus merino layers, you are set. Hurtigruten give you a windproof jacket on their Explorer cruises. If you think you won't wear the clothes again, you can always visit an Op Shop for local bargains suitable for the weather.

Ok thanks. I read someone was talking about crampons. So thought this is serious cold. Op shop good idea. Probably looking at their mail run Bergen to Bergen. Thinking Sept might be a good month either 2019/20. Nice to do something different

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Ok thanks. I read someone was talking about crampons. So thought this is serious cold. Op shop good idea. Probably looking at their mail run Bergen to Bergen. Thinking Sept might be a good month either 2019/20. Nice to do something different

We went in May, which was at the beginning of the Season in Spring. September being Autumn should be good at end of Season. Mild weather conditions.

We didn't use crampons in Antarctica. I only saw them used once in the Grand Canyon on icy paths in to the Valley.

We went in May, which was at the beginning of the Season in Spring. September being Autumn should be good at end of Season. Mild weather conditions.

We didn't use crampons in Antarctica. I only saw them used once in the Grand Canyon on icy paths in to the Valley.

Thanks. Enjoy your trip

We did the Coastal RT in early/mid March earlier this year, and there was still plenty of snow, which made for *gorgeous* scenery, and there was plenty of daylight for viewing.

We also had assumed that crampons would be necessary. Although we weren't doing any "deep outside" excursions, we had read about people putting crampons on just to leave the ship.

We've got a great "outdoor/camping supply store" called REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) that's been around since my grad school days back in Seattle in the '70's.

They have a good return policy. So we got some "lightweight" crampons (warning: some of the "serious" crampons look like torture devices from the middle ages; and my brother used to go mountain climbing and he needed serious equipment like that). We brought them along in their boxes, and because these folded up and were elastic based, they didn't take up much room.

And... we never came close to needing them, so we just returned them when we got back.

We did have good "treads" on our boots, and that was all that was needed, at least for our limited outings. Perhaps we were lucky? The snow everywhere was packed down and not icy where we walked most, which was in Tromso and Kirkenes. In Bergen, there was no snow downtown, not this past March, anyway.

We are considering doing the RT again, in the summer. We'd like to see the same scenery in a different season, and we also haven't (yet) experienced the 24 hour daylight.

Hallasm has elsewhere posted a terrific photo of his wife on one of the ships taken "at night" (1am, I think), and it shows the sun blazing in the sky :)

He's got some great videos posted.

And if you haven't yet looked at SarniaLo's blog (link in her signature here on CC), do spend a bit of time there, too.

But the cold *was* BRUTAL on the ship's deck at night, while sailing in the dark night, due to the wind.

So at least a serious windbreaker (wind/rain shell jacket and pants, plus layers underneath) for that. We already had those from an Alaska cruise, where the forecast was for nonstop rain.... but we had non-stop sunshine, and only needed those for one serious excursion on the water.

But if you are doing excursions out of towns, you should double check what is needed for those specifically.

GC

We did the Coastal RT in early/mid March earlier this year, and there was still plenty of snow, which made for *gorgeous* scenery, and there was plenty of daylight for viewing.

We also had assumed that crampons would be necessary. Although we weren't doing any "deep outside" excursions, we had read about people putting crampons on just to leave the ship.

We've got a great "outdoor/camping supply store" called REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) that's been around since my grad school days back in Seattle in the '70's.

They have a good return policy. So we got some "lightweight" crampons (warning: some of the "serious" crampons look like torture devices from the middle ages; and my brother used to go mountain climbing and he needed serious equipment like that). We brought them along in their boxes, and because these folded up and were elastic based, they didn't take up much room.

And... we never came close to needing them, so we just returned them when we got back.

We did have good "treads" on our boots, and that was all that was needed, at least for our limited outings. Perhaps we were lucky? The snow everywhere was packed down and not icy where we walked most, which was in Tromso and Kirkenes. In Bergen, there was no snow downtown, not this past March, anyway.

We are considering doing the RT again, in the summer. We'd like to see the same scenery in a different season, and we also haven't (yet) experienced the 24 hour daylight.

Hallasm has elsewhere posted a terrific photo of his wife on one of the ships taken "at night" (1am, I think), and it shows the sun blazing in the sky :)

He's got some great videos posted.

And if you haven't yet looked at SarniaLo's blog (link in her signature here on CC), do spend a bit of time there, too.

But the cold *was* BRUTAL on the ship's deck at night, while sailing in the dark night, due to the wind.

So at least a serious windbreaker (wind/rain shell jacket and pants, plus layers underneath) for that. We already had those from an Alaska cruise, where the forecast was for nonstop rain.... but we had non-stop sunshine, and only needed those for one serious excursion on the water.

But if you are doing excursions out of towns, you should double check what is needed for those specifically.

GC

Thanks GeezerCouple,

Looking at 2020 atm as we have a big trip planned for next year. I have seen some videos from Hallasm that really gives you an idea of what to expect. Will check out SarniaLo's blog too. I don't have any real cold weather clothes as not needed where I live. So between now and then I will keep a look out for boots, jacket & pants. As mmdownunder said to check the op shops. Thanks if I have any questions I will get back to you.

Cheers Jean