Azamara, Greenwich to Lisbon: Pirouette’s observations

Pirouette

Hello everyone,

I have blogged our last few cruises and thought I would do the same on this one.

Exactly one year ago we were on Regent dodging hurricanes from San Francisco to New York. In February we were on Silversea from Singapore to Myanmar. We do not exclusively cruise but we have enjoyed several prior Oceania cruises and others in the last few years. This is our first Azamara experience.

Our initial impressions are mixed. Pre-cruise information was minimal. We did not receive our email link to our guest ticket booklet until a few days before our departure. Instructions as to embarkation were certainly not as clear as other cruise lines. That being said, the procedures in Greenwich were efficient and we had access to our stateroom earlier than on other ships. Our luggage arrived quickly.

This is the smallest cabin we have had at sea. We have previously cruised Oceania Sirena and we thought this would be similar as both are former Renaissance ships. We are in a veranda stateroom and it is smaller and not as well appointed as Oceania Sirena. The bathroom is minuscule. We were prepared for small but this pushes the limits of acceptable. We are not large people but anyone bigger than average size would likely find the bathroom/shower a challenge.

We purchased both the ultimate beverage package and the unlimited internet package. We were surprised to learn that despite purchasing the top beverage package that the contents of the mini bar in the room are excluded. This made no sense and we questioned this at the front desk. We asked to speak to the food and beverage manager for clarification. We were told that if we wanted to speak to that individual that we would have to make an appointment. Really???? The reception staff in this instance could have used some basic instruction in customer relations.

In fairness, we did receive a call a couple of hours later. This issue has been raised before by other passengers and the problem was explained as an issue between shoreside management and the ship’s management. Not a very satisfactory explanation. It is not as if the contents of the mini bar are not otherwise included beverages on the package! We will have to leave the cabin and go to one of the bars to get one of the drinks in the fridge. It seems backwards and this has never been our experience on any other cruise line.

We had dinner in Discoveries tonight. The restaurant seemed overwhelmed as many passengers arrived just after 8pm for dinner. We were directed to the nearby lounge where we waited for about 30 minutes before being seated. In the bar we were not offered any appetizers or even nuts with our drinks. We found this unusual.

Dinner was good. The wine selection was drinkable but the least comprehensive that we have had on all our recent cruises. The service was adequate but not exceptional. It is only the first day so hopefully things will improve.

The disco was excellent. Azamara appears to understand its demographic and the dance floor was never empty, a nice change from other ships that we have experienced. The DJ was responsive to requests and the wait staff was attentive.

The public areas of the ship are very nice but the public bathrooms fall short. Fixtures are loose and the installations are very dated. All appears clean however.

After a weekend in London before this cruise, we took advantage of the free laundry. It was great but there is only one laundryroom for the whole ship. Other cruise lines have several. It was functional however and a great place to meet other passengers.

The gym facilities are very good and modern. I doubt that we will take advantage of the spa, but it looks lovely.

It is too soon to pass judgment and do a complete comparison with other cruise lines. The room service breakfast menu is excellent, far more comprehensive than on Oceania, Azamara’s main competitor. There are also signs of unnecessary cheapness: on check in there is only one key folder offered per cabin. This is ridiculous. We have never seen this before on any cruise line. Another plastic key folder was provided on request, but this is apparently not Azamara policy.

We sail in the middle of the night from Greenwich. This complicated the muster drill. There was no information provided beforehand and passengers continued to embark throughout the afternoon and evening. We attended the 5pm muster drill only because we heard about it second hand. I am not sure what arrangements were made for later arriving passengers. Information on this important matter should have been clearly outlined.

We will see how things develop. No cruise line is perfect and we have to enjoy the best that each has to offer. More tomorrow....

Yes, Oceania Sirena's veranda staterooms are a whopping 215 square feet while Azamara's are a mere 215 square feet. Oceania, on their website, calls this "The Luxury of Space" and boasts of "the generous dimensions of our staterooms." Quite impressive. The hype, that is.

Thanks for sharing your experiences - which ship are you on?

I was surprised that you weren’t offered any appetisers whilst waiting for dinner. Were you in Discoveries bar? We’ve always been offered peanuts and little dishes of olives and cheese whilst waiting in there to be offered a table.

Also wondered what you mean by a key folder. On all our Azamara Cruises we’ve both been given a blue plastic key holder for our own key. If that’s changed, then it has changed since July this year - or perhaps is different on the Pursuit if that’s the ship you’re on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps Guest Relations staff could have said "I will make an appointment for you to see the F&B Manager" rather that as you write you "would have to make an appointment". Anyone in a management position would be unlikely to be immediately available.

We have only received one keycard holder on all our cruises over the past couple of years. After the first occasion, we just take an old one with us.

The practice may have been introduced to decrease wastage, as many cruisers just do not use the holders, choosing to attach their cards to a lanyard.

It is most unusual to hear about the muster drill second hand. It is usually listed in the daily news sheet on your bed at the time of embarkation. It is also usually announced in all areas of the ship half an hour beforehand and again fifteen minutes beforehand.

Those arriving late would have had a "catch up" drill during the evening.

Settle back, relax and enjoy your cruise. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences - which ship are you on?

I was surprised that you weren’t offered any appetisers whilst waiting for dinner. Were you in Discoveries bar? We’ve always been offered peanuts and little dishes of olives and cheese whilst waiting in there to be offered a table.

Also wondered what you mean by a key folder. On all our Azamara Cruises we’ve both been given a blue plastic key holder for our own key. If that’s changed, then it has changed since July this year - or perhaps is different on the Pursuit if that’s the ship you’re on.

We were on Journey and disembarked yesterday. Can confirm that no peanuts or appetisers were offered to guests waiting in Discoveries to go into dinner. We tended to have our pre dinner drinks in the Living Room, where nuts and tapas were provided. We asked for another key card holder as only one was initially offered.

Lynne:)

As I spend working life with lanyards round my neck I hate the work look of a lanyard so I carry a spare card holder from previous cruises. We were not offered nibbles in Discoveries Bar or the Living Roomin June but to be honest I always thought as we were about to go into dinner they are not required.

But thanks to the OP for their perspectives - its important that we hear of how what they see as inconsistencies come over to new cruisers.

Must be a Journey thing, then. We definitely had appetisers in the Discovery bar in July and were automatically given two card holders when we boarded in Civitavecchia.

Interesting to see that there are differences between the ships.

Looking forwards to the rest of your blog.

As I spend working life with lanyards round my neck I hate the work look of a lanyard so I carry a spare card holder from previous cruises. We were not offered nibbles in Discoveries Bar or the Living Roomin June but to be honest I always thought as we were about to go into dinner they are not required.

But thanks to the OP for their perspectives - its important that we hear of how what they see as inconsistencies come over to new cruisers.

On our last two cruises at least, we were only offered drinks in the Discoveries Bar and, like you, had no interest in snacks.

However, I seem to recall that people sitting at the bar itself had nibbles available. Perhaps they are produced upon request.

Just did cruises on both the Pursuit and Journey, and received 2 card holders on each cruise. I plan to add them to the extensive collection we've gathered over the years. I'm sure that Guest Services would give you as many as you want.

Have never had a problem getting nibbles in the Discovery Bar, or any other watering hole on Azamara. The Journey and Quest have many nibbles that include peanuts, cheese and olives. On the Pursuit Christening cruise there were so many planned activities that nibbles were not required but they did have lots of passed snacks.

The logistics of getting on / off the ship in Greenwich are very challenging but the HD ands staff were on top of it and it went very smoothly.

Thanks for the observations.

Just a question about the big difference you saw in the staterooms. Having sailed former R-class ships on both Oceania and Azamara, same class of stateroom (although designated differently), exactly the same size in both cabin and bathroom.

Last cruises I was on got snacks in both Spirits and Discovery Bar. maybe not first night? i never seen anything n any mini bar free but the soda.

as far as ships go i have sailed on 3 lines in an R class ship. the cabins are all thee same., it how the decor was set up., Oceaniua wins in bathroom and cabin in the standard cabin and the PH cabin.

A lazy day at sea today.

For clarification, we are on the Journey. The embarkation in Greenwich was no doubt a challenge for Azamara as people continued to board throughout the day and evening. We certainly knew there would be a muster drill at some point but we were never informed on check in and many passengers checked in, left their bags and went ashore.

We obviously heard the announcements about the drill 30 minutes before, but what if we had not been aboard for the afternoon ? This could have been handled better.

As to the lack of key folders, some may find it trivial. Fine, these are MY observations and you do not have to agree with them. When a cruise line’s website creates certain expectations as to the quality of the service and experience, offering only one key folder per cabin detracts from the represetations of a luxury experience. It is a small thing but the devil is in the details. It makes Azamara seem unnecessarily cheap on matters that really are inconsequential.

We relaxed today and did not partake of the available offerings. We are not trivia or bingo enthusiasts. Both were available together with darts and some fitness activities. My spouse enjoyed the gym while I read in the library.

The food has been good and again, no appetizers or nuts offered in the lounge outside Discovery. We are not lacking for food, so this is not an issue for us, but again a difference we have noted from our other cruise experiences.

Both lunch and dinner were good. They had planned an extensive German lunch buffet on the pool deck which had to be moved indoors due to weather. It was reallynot our thing, but Azamara did a great job. The lunch was very well done.

We had dinner in Discoveries again tonight. The menu was changed from last night and we enjoyed it. As to food, it is subjective, but we prefer the day to day Azamara fare to Oceania’s. Silversea has in our experience, the best thin crust pizza and sushi at sea. Azamara has been good on most everything else.

Service is pleasant but on the slow side. I caught a fleeting glimpse of the cruise director this evening, otherwise he has been noticeably invisible. We have seen the captain twice, but none of the other officers.

We are not show people, but it is nice that two performances are offered to accommodate both early and late diners. We were the last people in Discoveries tonight when we left at 9:40. The disco in the Living Room (Mowtown night) was again well attended. The DJ is great and open to suggestions.

We have spoken to a number of other passengers. All appear to be enjoying this experience but there are complaints about the quality of the wines on the ultimate beverage package and the severice which is at times disorganized and slow. The wine selections do not come anywhere near the offerings on Oceania or Regent and the “pours” are very small .

Another sea day tomorrow and I hope to report back on some of the fitness classes and other activities.

Thanks for your update.

Ignore the rose tinted glasses posters, you are giving a fair assessment of how it is for you, as you rightly acknowledge it’s all subjective.

The hotel director switched over in Greenwich and I’m sure you will see Heike about very soon. Go and speak to her about the wines etc.

The absence of nibbles may be a supply issue or a training thing with the new staff - there’s a lot of new staff because some experienced operators were moved over to Pursuits.

The wine - again check with her - we absolutely loved the upgraded wines on the Ultimate Package so it may be again an issue with staff not offering you the right ones.

I know we all expect it to be 100% on day one and you’ve read all the hype to convince yourself it will be. Not unreasonable- but sometimes things just “miss” so please speak up. If you don’t want to speak but want to say you will get an attention to detail form in the room soon, but rather than wait for it, go and ask guest relations for one now and fill it in.

Hope you have an enjoyable sea day.

Thank you so much for posting about your experience on board Journey, Pirouette. As we disembarked on Monday after a wonderful cruise, I am able to 'stay on board' and extend the experience through your posts.

We too experienced some of what you describe. We heard that a third of the wait staff moved to Pursuit and it was pretty obvious that a few of the waiters were not on top form, eg instead of scanning 'their' tables to check that no-one was trying to attract their attention or that plates needed clearing, they would keep their head down and just fetch one item for one guest, hence the sometimes slow service. All were very pleasant and willing though.

We also found that Captain Tysse was very personable and we saw him every day as he walked about the ship talking to guests and asking how things were going. We found that other staff officers were conspicuous by their absence but I think that now that Heike is on board you will find her circulating and chatting. As soon as she boarded on Sunday she walked around the Patio and the pool area saying hello to people, many of whom recognised her from past cruises. I believe that Eric De Gray is your Cruise Director and we saw him board on Sunday. He has a great reputation and I imagine that now you are a couple of days into your cruise that you will have seen more of him. I know that for some folk interaction with officers is unimportant but I think it shows that they care about their guests' enjoyment.

Can't wait to hear what you are doing today. Enjoy every minute.

Lynne :)

Greetings from Journey on a chilly, cloudy/rainy sea, just rounding the Brest Peninsula.

Just a word on the drill. This was a copy of the daily for boarding. I was personally told about it, but would have asked anyway. They want you to go at the main one rather than the make up drill as it’s easier logistically this way, but the make up drill was detailed on the schedule to be at 8.30pm.

In spite of your niggles I hope you enjoy your cruise. I’m just waiting for the sun to come out!

Phil

d29f0e2e2a6a2b6edec529db92b98b94.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying your posts Pirouette. It’s always good to hear about the misses as well as the hits. uktog is absolutely correct, Heike is a top operator and very open to this sort of feedback. My recent observations on Quest were also that wine service particularly at lunch was very slow. Why give me only half a glass of wine if you are not going to come back? Even more annoying I suspect if your wine and key card needs to be processed from the bar! It didn’t help that the wait staff continually changed through the service. I know the staff are trained to pour to what are considered good etiquette levels but it can be frustrating to see food go cold whilst waiting for wine. As for canapés or nibbles I can’t recall ever being offered these outside of special events or receptions on Azamara. To be fair though, the Tapas offering in the living room is excellent and for me is a better fit. By dinner time I’m just hoping to have developed enough of an appetite for the main event! Another lovely alternative is to order the nibbles from room service and enjoy on the balcony. Of course drinks will have to be garnered from any open bar to accompany this. Though once in Bordeaux I’m sure you will be able to rustle up a few nice bottles to enjoy [emoji4] . With harvest time upon us a lovely time of year to visit and looking forward to hearing all about it. Keep posting!

As an aside it is good to see uktog back posting, we are all better off for your experience. See you in Nov.

we did this cruise last year when it sailed from Southampton and enjoyed. The weather was changeable and sometimes a little rough which meant changing ports on the approach to them but each change was fun and an experience and handled well.

In June we boarded in Greenwich and sailed to the Baltic an easy 2 hour train trip to London and the boarding was smooth and simple.

Happy sailing

We are cruising gently into Bordeaux. The weather is warm and it should be a lovely day. I had typed a lengthy post but lost it before it actually posted. The internet is fininiky!

Yesterday was another sea day. There was a special dim sum lunch which was well received. It was not to our taste ( we have some of the best dim sum in the world at home) but it was very comprehensive and most passengers really seemed to enjoy it.

Dinner in Windows was a British/ Indian theme. We ate in Discoveries as we prefer the atmosphere there but our server brought some samosas from Windows at my spouse’s request. For the first time we also received a small plate of nuts, olives and cheese as we waited for our table in the bar outside Discoveries. We did not request this and we did not notice them offered to anyone else. There was a tray with a few of these appetizers plates behind the bar. If requested, I am certain that they would be provided.

Service has been quite good but inconsistent. It depends on the experience of the server. Some seem like they are finding their way amongst more experienced staff. Everyone is pleasant and the table configuration certainly promotes interaction between passengers. We have met some very nice people.

More later....off for a half day tour of Bordeaux.

Pirouette: I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise. Have you noticed if Pursuit has received the cushions for the pool loungers yet? If not, are they comfortable? Just from the small photos I've seen they look a little hard and scratchy.