Guarantee cabin not eligible for promotions

dhall711

Hi all - We are new to Azamara and have done just a couple other cruises (Princess) over the past 20 years so we are real newbies here. Wife and I are celebrating 25 year anniversary so we wanted to do something special and visit Cuba in November. Loved the itinerary and small ship size of Azamara even though it is significantly more expensive than other lines. Spent some time researching ships, itineraries and dates and pulled the trigger on the November 10 departure on Azamara Journey. Decided not to use a TA as I figured direct booking was just as easy since everything is online now.

Picked an outside cabin and paid the full amount up front. One of the reasons for choosing Azamara was the fall promotion "Experience More" special which included $500 OBC, wifi, drink package and spa credit. I made sure to book by Aug 31st which was the last day of the promotion.

After booking and receiving confirmation email I did not see any references to the OBC or packages so I called in. Was told rather flatly and apologetically that because I picked a "guarantee" stateroom that it was ineligible for any and all promotions - therefore I am to receive nothing other than a cabin with a window. No OBC, no drink package, no wifi - basically everything I was trying to avoid being nickled and dimed for onboard. Add to this that the "guarantee" cabin option I picked on the website was the same price as the non-guarantee stateroom so I saved no extra money. I just happened to pick the wrong button.

The rep said there was nothing she could do for me, no other specials available and no option to cancel/rebook without forfeiting the entire amount (being so close to sail date). Extra insult is I just noticed today that the prices dropped almost $1000 over what I paid not 2 weeks ago. :mad:

I tried to look but the Terms & Conditions for the fall promotion are no longer online and I definitely do not remember that cabin description as being spelled out as excluded at booking time. There are so many different fare classes and each one has exactly the same descriptions so it's impossible to know what the differences are and why one is more expensive than the others. I did not mean to pick a guarantee and lose the promotion - it was just the option at the top of the list. Had I known I definitely would have chosen differently. The whole thing has left a sour taste and it's honestly spoiled the excitement.

Am I in the wrong expecting more clarity in the terms and conditions when booking? Is is well known that "guarantee" cabins are always excluded from promotions and I just happened to miss it? Should I bother trying to call again and argue my case? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

It would help to know where you live as T's and C's are different for different countries. As no matter you live you are in cancellation penalty time. As to booking direct vs. with a good TA. There are many advantages to using a good TA. There are rebates, OBC, extra perks and their knowledge of the rules that may have avoided your situation. In addition your TA works for you and might be able to make some changes to help you out while booking thru the website, you have nobody who is going to go to bat for your situation.

Have never heard that guarantees don't get the perks that go with a booking except in the case of a wait list where the amount you pay and specific T's and C's are based on when you are assigned a cabin and not when you get on the list.

Many of us here extol the need to always use a good knowledgeable TA as even if you phone in to a cruise consultant and he or she works for the cruise line and not you. In the future, implore you to find a good TA and book thru him or her.

Hi dhall711,

I'm sorry for your situation. I agree with RallyDave that using a good TA is always recommended because booking a cruise on your own, especially as a first-timer, can be complicated. I'm not sure I could do it...and I live & breathe cruises!

But that said, I'll go to bat for you. Give me a day or two to see if there's any flexibility in your now-locked-in booking.

dhall711 - totally agree that any company that sells a product online (whether it’s a cruise or any other product) should be very clear about whether promotions that are front and centre on the website apply or not. Otherwise it’s borderline bait and switch. And whether you book a cruise for the first or tenth time, there is no reason why it needs to be so complex that you need a TA - that complexity is the cruise lines’ (wrong) doing. That said, there are of course many other good reasons to always use a TA. (We use a TA about half the time.) Good luck - Bonnie is an awesome help on these boards and it’s great to read she’s willing to go to bat for you.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I regret the situation you find yourself in. In our experience booking guarantee cabin often doesn’t include the advertised perks and after final payment the prices are often “bare bones”. Some would say I’m old fashioned but we have done 44 cruises with more booked and have never booked online & probably never will. I prefer to talk to a person who can confirm what I think I’m booking and confirm it via mail before I hang up.

I hope Bonnie can do a little magic and make your anniversary special.

Thanks so much for the responses. I regret that I didn't use a TA and will certainly not make that mistake again. I never would have imagined that booking a cruise would be that much more complicated than making airline reservations or buying theater tickets in this day and age but I suppose there are still some improvements needed in this area before cruise booking engines are truly customer friendly.

I just tried a new dummy booking with the same guarantee cabin selections and went to the summary page. Just above the "Vacation price" total at the bottom, there's a line with a little star icon that says: "Promotion applied to cruise. View Details". Clicking details it just says "BPS GTY" with no further explanation. I'd say this is very misleading as it implies the promotion eligibility is included.

Bonnie - I really appreciate your help looking into the situation for me. It would great if there's something you can do but I certainly understand if not. I also really appreciate this forum for allowing me an avenue to express my problem with the community and seek a resolution.

I apologize if my frustration came across too much in my original post. I am usually very careful to read all the fine print and understand exactly what I'm paying for - especially when plunking down close to $7k - so I'm also upset with myself for not catching this issue before pulling the trigger. If the T&C's do indeed spell this out and I just missed it then I'll just have to make the best of the situation and move on and know to employ a good TA in the future. Regardless, we're still looking forward to Cuba and hope the voyage is problem-free.

I understand our office has tried calling you, and has left you a voice mail. If you don't have a message, perhaps they're reaching out to the wrong guest? Let me know.

I don't see a voicemail but I did just get an email with an update to my booking confirmation (y). I see somebody added the Experience More Enjoyment package to my reservation :hearteyes::hearteyes:. That is so wonderful and unexpected!! THANK YOU BONNIE!! This is exactly the resolution I was hoping for!

I can't express my appreciation enough for stepping in and rectifying the problem so quickly. It's refreshing to see a company willing to extend a courtesy in the interest of customer service. This has definitely impressed me about the culture at Azamara! :):D

I don't see a voicemail but I did just get an email with an update to my booking confirmation (y). I see somebody added the Experience More Enjoyment package to my reservation :hearteyes::hearteyes:. That is so wonderful and unexpected!! THANK YOU BONNIE!! This is exactly the resolution I was hoping for!

I can't express my appreciation enough for stepping in and rectifying the problem so quickly. It's refreshing to see a company willing to extend a courtesy in the interest of customer service. This has definitely impressed me about the culture at Azamara! :):D

What an excellent outcome for you, I'm very pleased for you and that you'll be embarking on your adventure with a more positive note. Enjoy your cruise. Well done Azamara.

• 2 weeks later...