Why such a "secret"?

kcscrapper

There are so many people here who laud Azamara Cruiseline. Most of the praise mentions the fine service staff, the good food and the special events - AzAmazing Evening and White Night.

So -- why is it such a secret as to when the White Night event will be held? I mean -- really?!? Surely no one thinks that the Pax anticipate that the schedule is going to be "re-invented" for each departure. When Pax ask to see menus - surely everyone understands that the menu is the same for each cruise? Yes - it is weather dependent, but everyone says they just move it inside. Our social blogging host can't say; the shore side people are actually pretty snotty about not saying; really -- does no one actually NOT know when this big event will be held on a sailing that is within 6 weeks?

We are on a Cuba Circle - staying overnight in each of 3 Cuban ports. Everyone I'm communicating with on the cruise are planners -- and there is evening entertainment excursions for sale by Azamara for some of those evenings. Passengers want to maximize their trip -- and don't want to miss anything -- especially what is talked about as a "highlight" for the cruise line.

Why can't someone just say WHEN IT IS SCHEDULED?

I think the answer is that it is determined by the Captain, Hotel director and cruise director, not by shoreside. They not only take the itinerary into account, but also the weather forecast and forecast for sea size/swell. Yes, it can be moved indoors, but I think everyone prefers it to be outdoors - much more fun. On all our 7 Azamara Cruises we have found out when White Night will be on the day we board - not before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my last cruise to Southeast Asia in March, White Night was scheduled for an overnight in Vietnam. (We were notified on checkin at the pier). It was a rainy night, and the HD and CD elected to call it at the last minute, even after the tables and buffet had already been set up. Instead, it was held 2 nights later in Bangkok, on what was a lovely evening. I believe that was preferred by most to moving it indoors. So, to answer your question, there is most likely a tentative date set, based on overnights or late departures, but can be changed at a moment’s notice.

I understand your concern, however. A few years back, we missed the White Night in Amsterdam because we had made other plans before knowing White Night was scheduled. I was bummed.

And yes, it is a wonderful evening.

White nights are nice. It would be better if Azamara told passengers before embarkation. Not everyone has white clothing. Not everyone knows that wearing white matters. I have met people on their first Azamara cruise say that they wish somebody had told them to bring white. Also, have a backup plan in case of rain. Windstar has a deck bbq event on every cruise. It is a fabulously fun night. If weather is good, it is outside. However, if weather is not good, it is held inside in the dining room and/or lounge. It is one of the highlights of sailing on Windstar.

White nights are nice. It would be better if Azamara told passengers before embarkation. Not everyone has white clothing. Not everyone knows that wearing white matters. I have met people on their first Azamara cruise say that they wish somebody had told them to bring white. Also, have a backup plan in case of rain. Windstar has a deck bbq event on every cruise. It is a fabulously fun night. If weather is good, it is outside. However, if weather is not good, it is held inside in the dining room and/or lounge. It is one of the highlights of sailing on Windstar.

I have done a b2b2b on Windstar and there was no deck bbq event on any of the three cruises, on deck or in the dining room or lounge, as it was too cold to have on deck.

And "wearing white" does not "matter" on White Night.

As others have posted, the White Night deck party is planned entirely by the ship personnel. Over the years it’s become expected but I like to think of it as a surprise party hosted by the officers and offering guests a different outdoor dining venue. It is planned by the senior staff according to ship & personnel schedule, and the weather forecast.

My personal opinion is that not every experience needs to be pre-planned and pre-marketed at the corporate level. The spontaneity of the event, and the officers’ fun at hosting the event is a big part of the joy.

There’s not a rule that attendees must wear white. I’ve never looked into the genesis of this event’s name, but I’d venture a guess that because our ships follow the sun (all cruise ships typically follow the sun!) that someone guessed that most guests would pack a bit of white attire to stay cool.

But by no means is there a dress code or a requirement to wear white. And some people play with the idea of wearing white...I’ve seen some with white napkins tied around their neck. I wouldn’t worry about what to pack. That’s one of the benefits of Azamara...we want you to feel comfortable as you are.

And "wearing white" does not "matter" on White Night.

Yes and no. Azamara says it doesn’t matter and I’m sure that they mean it. However, when my mother attended her first white night without anything white to wear, she felt highly uncomfortable to be part of the 10% that wasn’t wearing white - regardless of how many people told her that it was fine - and eventually left. I bet more people will have similar feelings when they unintentionally stand out in a large crowd.

As others have posted, the White Night deck party is planned entirely by the ship personnel. Over the years it’s become expected but I like to think of it as a surprise party hosted by the officers and offering guests a different outdoor dining venue. It is planned by the senior staff according to ship & personnel schedule, and the weather forecast.

Thank you, Bonnie. I'll pull a quote from the Azamara web page in "Entertainment & Activites onboard Luxury Azamara" section:

We take the show outside at Azamara’s White Night party and buffet, held at least once on every cruise (weather permitting). Decks Nine and Ten are transformed into a gorgeous outdoor restaurant, and Azamara's officers and crew serve guests a delectable feast. Have a fabulous meal, sip boutique wines on the house, and dance late into the night.

I think we've moved away from "surprise party" when the event becomes part of the sales pitch.

Honestly, here is another example of a fuss over nothing. The ship will try to put it on the best night possible to give everyone a chance to enjoy. I've been to lots of White Nights and myself and friends agree it's one of the most enjoyable evenings of the cruise. There seems to be a lot of over-analyzing on this board at present. I just cruise to enjoy and go with the flow.:rolleyes:

Phil

Yes and no. Azamara says it doesn’t matter and I’m sure that they mean it. However, when my mother attended her first white night without anything white to wear, she felt highly uncomfortable to be part of the 10% that wasn’t wearing white - regardless of how many people told her that it was fine - and eventually left. I bet more people will have similar feelings when they unintentionally stand out in a large crowd.

If many people told your mother she was fine, then she must have asked them. If 10% of the people attending weren't wearing white, there were at least 50 other people not wearing white. Bonnie has said it's fine, many people posting here said it's fine.

It's sad that your mother didn't realize that nobody cared what she was or wasn't wearing. She missed a great party.

I’m wondering what they will do on the Alaska cruises where the nights will typically be a bit chillier.

It was remarkably warm, on our Norwegian cruise and a number of people wore their bath robes.

In retrospect, it might have just been better if they had worn a nice jacket and forgotten about the white idea.

Although, come to think about it, my wife thinks the white shirt I choose would be best left in the stateroom as well. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly, here is another example of a fuss over nothing. The ship will try to put it on the best night possible to give everyone a chance to enjoy. I've been to lots of White Nights and myself and friends agree it's one of the most enjoyable evenings of the cruise. There seems to be a lot of over-analyzing on this board at present. I just cruise to enjoy and go with the flow.:rolleyes:

Phil

Thank you for saying what many of us are thinking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Phil

I'm going to be on this cruise as well. There are 4 nights that we will be docked overnight in Cuba. It would just be helpful to know for excursion planning purposes that the White Night is not going to be on one of those four nights. I would be sad to plan an excursion for the evening and then miss "one of the most enjoyable evenings of the cruise." Some of us are planners.

Phil

Goodness! I'm sorry that my question offends you so .... We've heard repeatedly how these White Nights are so enjoyable ... and we would really like to enjoy one -- but the cruise we are on is overnight in three or four ports - and there are those of us who are trying to plan and be able to fully experience, what is advertised as, one of the most enjoyable evenings of our cruise.

Thank you, Bonnie. I'll pull a quote from the Azamara web page in "Entertainment & Activites onboard Luxury Azamara" section:

We take the show outside at Azamara’s White Night party and buffet, held at least once on every cruise (weather permitting). Decks Nine and Ten are transformed into a gorgeous outdoor restaurant, and Azamara's officers and crew serve guests a delectable feast. Have a fabulous meal, sip boutique wines on the house, and dance late into the night.

I think we've moved away from "surprise party" when the event becomes part of the sales pitch.

Ours was once definitely a 'surprise' party when on the day, it became 'fright night' due to the date........now that was interesting as guests became very creative in putting together their frightening garb! Great fun - is this not what 'white night' is all about? Fun and enjoyment and a chance to thank the senior officers as they serve their fare?