Carnival Military Discount

USAF&wife

So, I'm completely new to cruising, currently working on booking our first cruise for my R&R in Sept, (In AFG at the moment) and would love to find a good TA or PVP like you guys are mentioning. If anyone wants to send me a good site or a name to ask for at Carnival, my email is th0r0ngil @ hotmail . com

Thank you for your service to our country!

• 3 weeks later...
And good luck finding a cruise that honors/gives the discount. DH and I are both retired Air Force, and have yet to find one.

We went on the Carnival Inspiration and had already paid the balance, but someone told me about their discounts, so I called and they were good enought to give us a military upgrade. It always pays to call them and ask the worse that will happen is they will tell you none are available for the cruise.

Happy Cruising

Just two weeks ago we made arrangments to travel on Carnival for June 20th. My husband was asked by the travel gal if he has military time. The % off depended on the price of the cruise. Ours is 5 days out of Long Beach and the shipboard credit is $100. After many cruises over the years this is the first time asked about military involvement.

I'm cruising in July with Carnival and when I asked about a military discount (I'm still active duty at 22 years) the Carnival rep told me no discount for active duty, only retired...so maybe next year!LOL

I think you should contact your PVP or Carnival rep and check again. Whoever told you this was wrong! You have to either be active duty, retired or served two years and had an honorable discarge.

Now it might be that this particular cruise that you chose has no military discount as they are not available on all cruises.

And "Thank You" for your service!:)

• 2 months later...
I have seen several posts on various boards about a military discount offered by Carnival, but when I booked our cruise on their website I never saw it.

How do I get this discount?

Thanks,

Tamara

With CCL there are several ways to get a good discount. Everyone has there own opinion, here's mine: I use a CCL PVP who has been very good to us. We usually book the early saver rate which allows us to get any discounts available up until a week before the cruise. We also purchase the $100 vouchers while on board which we use on our next cruise (you DO NOT need to book a cruise at the time you purchase a voucher). The $100 you paid for the voucher goes towards your overall payment plus you get $100 OBC. Vouchers are good for 2 years and can be turned in for a full refund. Watch for the current reules because CCL has a tendency to change them as time goes on. As far as checking the rates I look at both *********** and CCL's websites to price cabins. If you have interline privileges then a CCL PVP can help you. We also have friends who gamble on the ships and they get a discount for that (not sure what it is or how much they spend on gambling).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
for us Brits - if you want the discount use princess lines - as P&O only give the discount to shareholders..... Yet they are both part of carnival....

Hi Guys

Having served more than 23 years in British Royal Air Force, would I be eligeable for the forces discount scheme operated by American cruise lines the same as ex forces personel who have served in the Canadian armed forces :confused:

• 1 month later...

The Carnival Splendor is repositioning from Long Beach to Manhattan. There are three cruises involved (B2B2B):

February 3, 2013, Long Beach to Santiago

February 20, 2013, Santiago to Buenos Aires

March 3, 2013, Buenos Aires to Manhattan

Although there isn't a military discount currently being offered, if you book on the EARLY SAVER rate, you can score the discounts as they become available.

We are using the same travel agent who scored us such a great deal when Splendor repositioned to Long Beach from Fort Lauderdale in early 2009, and she told me today that she will keep checking for the military discount and credit us the difference when it becomes available. She believes that if it is not offered before Veterans Day, it will be offered then (that's when she scored us a practically giveaway price in 2008).

I check "Military Cruisers" every time I log on, and I'll post back here as soon as I learn more in case anyone is interested. If you have the time available, please consider joining us: There is an active roll call already!

With CCL there are several ways to get a good discount. Everyone has there own opinion, here's mine: I use a CCL PVP who has been very good to us. We usually book the early saver rate which allows us to get any discounts available up until a week before the cruise. We also purchase the $100 vouchers while on board which we use on our next cruise (you DO NOT need to book a cruise at the time you purchase a voucher). The $100 you paid for the voucher goes towards your overall payment plus you get $100 OBC. Vouchers are good for 2 years and can be turned in for a full refund. Watch for the current reules because CCL has a tendency to change them as time goes on. As far as checking the rates I look at both *********** and CCL's websites to price cabins. If you have interline privileges then a CCL PVP can help you. We also have friends who gamble on the ships and they get a discount for that (not sure what it is or how much they spend on gambling).

Don't forget that by buying 100 shares of CCL stock you can get shipboard credit on every cruise line owned by Carnival. That is well worth the price of the stock, if you cruise a lot. I cruised a lot with the navy and Coast Guard but never did get cruise credits for that, dang it!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Can you use military discount w/ Carnival's ES discount? Out TA is not familiar w/ this. Thanks for your help.

Lloyd- I served in Viet Nam 68 & 69.

PS Thank you to all those who serve our wonderful country, because of all that have served, we enjoy our freedom. Proud to be an American.

Can you use military discount w/ Carnival's ES discount? Out TA is not familiar w/ this. Thanks for your help.

Lloyd- I served in Viet Nam 68 & 69.

PS Thank you to all those who serve our wonderful country, because of all that have served, we enjoy our freedom. Proud to be an American.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot combine the two. Usually the ES is less than the Military rate, but it has too many stipulations. We would never book ES for this reason. I have found that our Military rate is only about $20 more and well worth knowing we can make changes if we have to without incurring change fees. Hope this helps. Might be worth a call to Carnival and ask them just to make sure.

• 2 months later...

I am not retired from the USAF, but a little over three year veteran

in the 60's. Never heard of the USAF Association.

Of course I have been out for a while..

Where can I find out about this Association?

Have gotten a Military rate on most of my Carnival cruises.

Occasionally though the ES rate was better.

bobmal99@yahoo.com

Thanks for any help you can give.

If you e-mail me please just put

USAF in the subject line..

Thanks again.

Thank you BOTH for your service to our country!!!

I just learned about the existence of Cruise Critic two weeks ago when I was attempting to learn about the Spirit's repositioning cruise to Sydney. We're now booked on the first of the repositioning cruises, and I've learned a LOT on Cruise Critic!! My lasting impression is that the majority of folks who post here book their cruises through Carnival; travel agents seem to take a beating. To attempt to be helpful to you, I'll keep the list of our cruises when I post this (I usually skip it), and I'll share that only with Holland America have we not gotten a military discount--and that's because my husband is no longer active duty. Before I met and married my current husband, I was travelling as the widow of a retired USAF service member--and I always got the military discount that way too. The most important thing I have to share is that I/we have the most WONDERFUL travel agent imaginable: This lovely lady books us with all the discounts she can find (she has copies of the DD214 on file), and then SHE keeps an eye out for price reductions, files for them, and then tells us how much the fare has dropped!! As if that's not enough, we always seem to wind up with a substantial on board credit. With Holland America we wound up with a great rate because our TA found a group, and we got that group's rate without having to do anything, buy anything, or listen to anything! Cruise Critic is not the place for commercial advertising, but I believe I can tell you there are websites out there that cater to military folks, either current or former, who want to book cruises! Before I forget for the second time, are either of you members of the Air Force Association? If you are, you may want to check there; if not, then you may want to consider joining: That's how I originally found our great TA!

• 3 years later...
I have seen several posts on various boards about a military discount offered by Carnival, but when I booked our cruise on their website I never saw it.

Thanks,

Tamara

Dear USAF & Wife ...

We have enjoyed the discounts Princess offers sailing from the Port of Houston during Veteran's Day ( week of ) ... All Branches of our Military are represented on board one night during the cruise.

Hope to start a USAF ( SE Houston area ) Cruise ship page with Cruise Critic.

Nice to meet you both ... D & S in Houston ( retired USAF )

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Tamara

You don't. Try to book a cruise, then see what kind of pricing is available. Out of 5 cruises, I got a rebate once. 2 more times the rebates were there but were actually more expensive than regular price for people who choose to let Carnival pick their room, or returning guests, or, wait for it, special foreigner rates. You could simply consider their military rebates as non existent. On my first solo cruise, 4th overall, I saved a fortune by choosing the "let Carnival decide" rate. Military rate was only available for upper decks with balcony and I don't care for those. $1300 vs $239 for a quiet room midship, I'll take the room without windows any time. When I want to see what's outside, I go outside.

• 4 months later...
We have been looking and asking about a military discount with CCL for several years now and have never gotten a discounted rate for military status.

It's not available on every cruise....if you go to the website, there will be a menu listing all the available rates, ES..Past guest, Etc. Usually the ES (Early Saver) and the Military rate are the same....however with the Military rate you are not subject to all the regulations that come with the ES.

Also, Call Carnival, they will walk you through it.

• 2 weeks later...

The only cruise line that I know of that has a standing military benefit for anybody that served in the US military and has a DD214, is active duty, or is retired military on all cruises that they offer is Princess Cruise Lines. Please note that I am not saying that they are the only cruise line that has a military benefit, just that it's the only one that I've found that has it across a benefit that is available on each and every cruise that they offer. Holland-America has a cruise benefit but not on every cruise.

Here is what they offer:

Cruise LengthAmount14 days or longer$250 per qualified passenger7 - 13 days$100 per qualified passenger6 days or less$50 per qualified passenger

And thanks to everyone who served.

Tom

• 1 month later...