Silver Spirits Package

Elizabetho55

There have been a lot of conversations on this board concerning the SSP. We just returned from the Into The Midnight Sun cruise (which was AMAZING) and here is my opinion.

We considered getting it with our OBC but decided against it upon boarding. We looked at the wine list and tasted that day’s house wines and decided that the included wines were pretty much equal to what was offered on the wine list. IMO there was nothing wrong with the wine list but there was nothing offered that would justify the $279 PP cost of the SSP.

We were very satisfied with the included wines at the meals. We never hesitated to order a drink when wanted one outside of meal time. Generally, we would have a before dinner drink, 2 drinks after dinner and on a sea day maybe one after lunch but before the ‘before dinner drink’. Much more than we ever normally drink but hey - we were on vacation! In the end we spent about $250 on our drinks. There were 2 days when we had nothing to drink outside of meals as we were off somewhere enjoying the destination. For example, my husband would drink Armagac after dinner and I varied - Bailey’s on the rocks, martini or port. Before dinner we normally ordered a wine from the wine list, or I’d have a martini and my husband a beer. We never looked at prices (which turned out to be VERY reasonable) and always ordered what we wanted.

So, according to my calculations, we saved about $300 NOT getting the SSP. If you drink a lot more than we did and you always purchase wine at dinner than it may be worth the price for you.. But for us it wasn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're with you, elizabetho55. We discussed several times how glad we were that we did not pay for SS package, as we enjoyed the included wines. We did the Chef's Table 3 times, and didn't even upgrade then ($25 pp for upgraded wines at the CT). The cost of drinks outside of meal time was quite reasonable. Also, I was really pleased to find out that they had a sparkling wine as one of the included wine choices.

We're with you, elizabetho55. We discussed several times how glad we were that we did not pay for SS package, as we enjoyed the included wines. We did the Chef's Table 3 times, and didn't even upgrade then ($25 pp for upgraded wines at the CT). The cost of drinks outside of meal time was quite reasonable. Also, I was really pleased to find out that they had a sparkling wine as one of the included wine choices.
We did the SS and cost-wise it probably came out as a wash for us. But it was totally worth it as we liked to choose our wines based on what we were ordering. And with the package, red wine was served in nicer red wine glasses.

We were not show-goers but were awake later than most of the ship so the Explorers bar became our regular locale... except on the two nights everyone else stayed up late. The bartenders and servers there were great and got to know our preferences.

Only downside was that the ship ran out of our two favorite reds by the time we hit Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

We did the SS and cost-wise it probably came out as a wash for us. But it was totally worth it as we liked to choose our wines based on what we were ordering. And with the package, red wine was served in nicer red wine glasses.

We were not show-goers but were awake later than most of the ship so the Explorers bar became our regular locale... except on the two nights everyone else stayed up late. The bartenders and servers there were great and got to know our preferences.

Only downside was that the ship ran out of our two favorite reds by the time we hit Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Yes, I agree! The red wine glasses for purchased wines were much nicer! [emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was very Informative- thank you. We are on the fence and will decide when we board. One element that can weigh on the outcome are number of sea days. On our upcoming trip, we have 8. On port days, we would only have alcohol on board in the evenings as we almost always eat lunch in port.

The second piece for us in deciding are the geographic ports - do they have good wines to purchase and bring on board or no?

For me, the wines offered for the package on our particular voyage vs the included wines on our particular voyage will probably be the deciding factor. I do understand that wines can change.

Your write up truly provides some great details on costs comparison so thanks again.

Hi all, on our recent Viking Homeland's cruise, we opted to purchase the SSP as we did not like the included wines at all the first night. We are wine drinkers and a little on the picky side when it comes to wine. Therefore, we loved being able to choose a wine based on what we were eating and we liked the selections by the glass on the menu. We also liked to go to the Living Room before dinner for cocktails and sometimes Explorers after dinner for a drink as we watched the world go by. The freedom of the SSP was well worth it to us.