Safe topics for dinner?

Nippy Sweetie

I think perhaps we would enjoy being seated at your table! We also have often had interesting small group discussions about politics on cruises, but you do have to dip your toe in the water carefully to test the water before diving in. Should the water be chilly, we can happily find other topics of conversation.

I miss the days when you could have a rational political discussion with someone from the other persuasion and come to the conclusion that none of them really care about us "little people". Then arm in arm toddle to the bar to buy each other a round of drinks.;p

I miss the days when you could have a rational political discussion with someone from the other persuasion and come to the conclusion that none of them really care about us "little people". Then arm in arm toddle to the bar to buy each other a round of drinks.;p

Those days are long gone - at least for now. It’s sad.

Nope. I would’t touch the topic of politics right now. :o

We also like the two top tables - as well as enjoying another couple’s company we have met on cc or on board from time to time - But we really do enjoy our time together at the end of the day talking about our journey.

It’s fantastic that there are so many table size options on Viking Oceans. It’s easy to satisfy all the different dining preferences.

Avoid politics unless with like minded friends, and if you must discuss, speak softly. Our next year's Silversea cruise is with strongly polar opposite long term friends. Politics verboten!

On our last Viking Ocean cruise our table for 2 was next to a table for 6 where they were all loudly talking about how stupid their opposing party "friends" back home were for voting as they did. We sat elsewhere for the rest of the cruise. :)

Surprisingly, this Cruise Critic forum does not prohibit political discussions which often infest the Silversea Water Cooler thread.

If on a cruise non-US folks ask about politics, which happens, I answer as blandly as I can and move onto another topic. After all, people are on holiday or enjoying their lives in another country. It seems to work. Just happened last week in Portugal with Canadians. No problems.

In social situations with strangers, I like to draw out people and hear their stories. On the cruise in April, most of the stories were about people’s travels, which is what you’d expect when traveling. My favorite stories turned out to be from people who had embarked on interesting new lives after retirement. (Most people on our cruise were retired.) One former engineer we met at dinner in Oslo has written a bunch of short stories, for example. We had fun talking about that.

We generally travel with a group of 4-6 friends and relatives and most have the same political and religious orientations. Can get boring reinforcing stereotypes and all, but we do try and branch out. We talk more about our activities during the day, where we’d like to go next, and how we are each spending the next day. We welcome others to join us and have tables next to us join in discussions and frivolity. If our folks do get a little vocal about politics, we tamp that down in respect to others as we are on vacation, not a debate team.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I don’t mind sitting with others at breakfast and lunch but like a table for two at dinner unless we a cruising with friends. We dine late eight or later, when we do eat with strangers like most we avoid controversial subjects but will not keep still if provoked by others stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We prefer the MDR for most meals, always requesting to share, preferably a larger table. Having worked as a Deck Officer for P&O/Princess in the 70's & 80's I have just a little experience with cruise ship small talk, as in those days we hosted pax tables at dinner, met/mingled with pax at cocktail parties and were on deck every evening entertaining.

Have no problem getting conversations going including getting those that are initially somewhat reserved involved in the conversation. Good old staples are where is everybody from, chatting about life on board, what excursions are you doing, how were excursions just completed. Once conversation gets started you can move into number of cruises taken, which cruise lines, future cruises, kids/grandkids, hobbies, careers, etc.

Some breakfasts and lunches we have sat with multiple cups of tea chatting for over an hour. For us, meeting new people and enjoying relaxed conversation is one of our favourite aspects of cruising, especially on the longer cruises we favour, where the pax demographic is generally fairly consistent.

If you want to have a political discussion, go to Twitter and discuss it there and I have plenty too say there. This is about cruising not politics. At least we can talk about cruising experiences which is fun and informative.

Avoid talking about religion or politics.

Ask engaging questions to learn more about your table mates.

Obvious questions would be why they chose this cruise, what are they hoping to do in each port, what do they like about the ship so far, etc.

What food are they looking forward to on board and in port? What book are they reading right now? Those are topics that usually get discussions going. Food/cooking is pretty universal—most of us love eating.

I avoid asking what someone does for work since that is a very American thing to ask and is considered rude by many non-Americans.

These are great suggestions, I'm copying them down for future use