Packing bottles: advice?

2MidwestCruisers

We're quite pleased that we can bring favorite beverages on board, and have had no trouble in the past when bottles were bubble-wrapped and plastic-covered.

And yet, I have visions of cabernet-soaked luggage...what methods have worked for you?

Thanks in advance,

Ann and Terrence :halo::cool: (Booked on the Sun, Lisbon to Miami in December 2018)

We have used the ‘made for bottles’ bubble wrap containers that are sold and have had no issues. We make sure they are surrounded by clothing to lessen the impact of baggage handlers.

Last year I did this and I did learn a lesson. Great bottle of red was packed. Flight delays in the Midwest due to weather. Bags sat in the belly of the aircraft and then outside for an extended and unexpected length of time in really hot weather. Same thing happened when we landed. Lightening prevented bags from being unloaded. By the time I opened my bag the wine was beyond hot. Definitely impacted the quality of the wine. So when we head to San Juan later this year via Miami, we won’t be bringing any good wine with us. Too hot on the ground. So if wine is the idea, the weather where you are traveling/laying over might make sense to consider.

But to your question, I haven’t had a broken bottle to prove how well these travel bottle bags hold spills. *♀️

We're quite pleased that we can bring favorite beverages on board, and have had no trouble in the past when bottles were bubble-wrapped and plastic-covered.

And yet, I have visions of cabernet-soaked luggage...what methods have worked for you?

Thanks in advance,

Ann and Terrence :halo::cool: (Booked on the Sun, Lisbon to Miami in December 2018)

Go online and search for wine diapers(Not kidding) or something similar. I bought some years go but they should still have them. I’ve used them several times. No breakage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all of these good suggestions! Now the only question is, how many clothes should we leave at home to make room...haha! I'm glad to hear that packing bottles seems to be generally successful if we take care. Vineyard, so sad about the overheating!

We always take three bottles of wine to Cozumel for our American friend. We have always wrapped in bubble wrap several times and taped it down. We then pack each one in a large ziploc bag and placed in the middle of the luggage with clothing on all sides for cushion. Thankfully for 12 years we never had an issue.

We have successfully used WineSkins many times, never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those are the one we use also. I take them for my white and he takes them for his red. Never had leakage or breakage in our soft sided luggage. We cushion them with clothing.

• 4 weeks later...