Edinburgh Question

molymoo

We are on the August 4th sailing of the Sky for the British Isles cruise. I know this is a new itinerary but also know that Edinburgh has been a stop for other, older itineraries (Midnight Sun?). We are doing a pre-extension in Edinburgh so many of the shore excursions will be redundant and we had planned on trying to book the trip to Rosslyn Chapel but, alas it is already showing that it is "Sold Out".

We don't book excursions until the 19th so we have some time to make a decision but wonder if there is a ship-to-town shuttle at this port and would a private tour be a realistic possibility (we are in port from 7:15AM to 6:00 PM)? Or maybe we could just go into town and "do our own thing". There will certainly be things we will miss on the extension and being two females shopping is not out of the question!

Just wondering as the planning progresses!

SOLD OUT can mean a couple of different things-- either literally sold out or not running at all. Try to confirm with the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com. The boards report unhelpful answers on this topic from other customer services points in the Viking system.

The most important thing for us to know is where you are expected to dock, Newhaven or Rosslyn. It will make a big difference in the responses you get.

Newhaven is a tender station. Very easy to deal with and not far from the center of town by public transportation. This is where we docked in 2016 with Viking. We used the hop on hop off bus to get in and out of town (because we wanted to ride the bus to see what we didn't otherwise get to) but there are the regular bus lines that will take you to downtown. I don't remember if Viking had shuttles because we didn't use them (but most likely they did). Here is a link to a few photos of Edinburgh, including some pictures of Newhaven and the busstop. https://intothemidnightsun.shutterfly.com/pictures/78#87

Getting to Rosslyn Chapel on your own does not look very difficult from the downtown area or even from the Newhaven area. You can Google public transit routing from your hotel to the chapel and back (it is 15 miles by bus from Newhaven and takes 1:15-1:30 to get there, just to give you a ball park).

The Scottish National Gallery has a very interesting/eclectic collection of art; we enjoyed a couple of hours there and had lunch in the restaurant. DH says it was the best fish and chips he has ever eaten (but beware because the serving was huge, and that was just the fish). What we did not get to and which I regret (but it was closed because of the annual June royal visit) was Holyroodhouse Palace.

We stayed at Edinburgh Marriott Courtyard but went by bus to see the Royal Yacht Britannia in Leith ( which has a cruise terminal) and then back to Edinburgh and changed buses to Roslin. Might check where your ship will be docking. Having purchased all day bus passes for the Lothian buses, we used it to get to the Royal Yacht Britannia in Leith and then to the Rosslyn Chapel in Roslin. After we left the royal yacht we took Bus 300 right outside the shopping center to South Bridge Street in Edinburgh to get Bus 37 to Roslin. It worked out well. The bus ride to Roslin is about 1 hour. After getting off the bus in Roslin, it is a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Rosslyn Chapel visitor center. Tours (lecture) of the chapel are on the hour and lasted about 15 minutes. The visitor center has displays that provide information about the chapel.

Be sure to get a Welcome to Rosslyn Chapel brochure to help you locate all the carvings in the chapel. We enjoyed trying to locate 22 carvings covered in the brochure of this chapel which had its beginnings in 1446 by William St. Clair. We walked back to the bus stop in Roslin and took Bus 37 back to Edinburgh.

Our visit to Rosslyn Chapel was one of our highlights of our Scotland trip.

Thanks Peregrina and Bellemere! According to the information on our initial invoice we will be docking in Rosyth. Sounds like we could make it to Rosslyn on our own pretty easily ... just have to get to the downtown area. We could scout things out while on the extension!

Thanks!

When we were in Edinburgh in August a couple of years ago, the Tatoo and Fringe festivals were in full swing. Really fun but VERY busy! You might check dates of both festivals as they may affect your ability to visit certain areas around Edinburgh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mollymoo, we just completed the "British Isles Explorer" and were closed out of 'Historic St Andrews"...we ended up booking a private tour with a local, Duncan McNab, of http://www.edinburghdaytours.com, before we left home. He was waiting as we came into Newhaven Harbor with our name card. Duncan was absolutely wonderful and it was an unforgettable experience. The Viking Shore Excursion Desk did open up more seats to several 'sold out' excursions...you just have to check once you get onboard. We were spoiled on the private tour of Edinburgh and St Andrews. We are planning to use Duncan again for another tour.

Have a great trip!

From the Shopping Mall in Leith at the Royal Yacht you will find a number of stops for the local buses. Many of the routes head up to Princess Street. Buses leave the mall every 5 - 10 minutes.

For Rosslyn Chapel, you have a number of tours available online, but most of them combine the chapel with other activities. Best option for the chapel alone is the city bus - # 37, which probably runs about every 15 minutes. Get off at Rosslyn Hotel, which is a short walk to the chapel.

When using the Edinburgh buses last summer we found the drivers and even other passengers very helpful. Enjoy the Chapel, it is very interesting.

I've just downloaded the 'Transport for Edinburgh' app onto my phone. It seems easy to use and tells you which number bus to take between two points and how long the journey will take. Lothian Transport website seems to indicate that you will need cash to pay the driver - and they don't give change - so save some coins whilst you're in London if you're not British!

Don't count on local passengers being very helpful particularly if you hold up the bus trying to get the driver to give you detailed directions to a particular location. Us locals need the bus to run on time to get us to work. It's a very common complaint round here and I'm sure it applies elsewhere - not everyone is on holiday!

Thanks to all for the information and advice! And NippySweetie, I always try to respect the time and routines of the citizens of the cities we visit ... we have a lot of tourists in Chicago too!

We did not schedule an excursion in Edinburgh ... we will have had a chance to do so much in our extension most of the options would be redundant. We may take advantage of a shuttle if there is one, we could still book a private tour, or we could take advantage of a near empty ship and schedule a massage at the spa ... or do some laundry! :')

Edinburgh gets quite desperately crowded especially in the summer months. In the main tourist areas think being literally unable to take a step forward. It's like a perpetual queue. Maybe fun for tourists but grim for residents. There's quite a backlash going on at present.

If you keep away from the main tourist areas of the Royal Mile and Castle areas you could strike luckier. South Queensferry is very nice and, combined with a trip to Hopetoun House, you could have a delightful day out.

It would be a crawling tour of the Royal Mile but why pay attention to me I only live in Edinburgh!

LOL,

BTW, when is your upcoming cruise?

I cannot wait to hear what you think of the Viking ships, food and service.

Molymoo

From another Scot, another suggestion for you - this is what we did last year when docked at Rosyth.

While 900+ of our new best friends headed to Edinburgh, we took a taxi (readily available at that port) and headed across the water to Linlithgow - home to Linlithgow Palace which was where Mary Queen of Scots was born. It's a ruin but it's a fascinating well managed ruin with lots of stories and you can really see how it was back in the day (if that makes sense!). Climb to the top for beautiful views of the Forth and you can see why this location was chosen as a "Pleasure Palace"!

Linlithgow itself is a small town with lots of decent eateries and nice wee shops! We easily got a local taxi to take us back to Rosyth. Cost £35 out - £28 back!

Nearby is Blackness Castle which is another ruin but has immense historical importance - it was also used as a location for Outlander. As was Culross which is on the North side of the Forth - a delightful historical village with cobbled streets etc. - again small cafes and some local craft shops - I don't have any idea how you would get there on public transport or how much a taxi would cost from Newhaven. This would be one time docking in Rosyth would be a huge advantage!

And then there are the Kelpies, the Falkirk Wheel etc. a bit further afield but all well worth a visit.

So if you decide to not go to Edinburgh or St Andrews, you certainly wouldn't miss out on some very nice locations to visit not so far away. I'm sure a local tour operator would/could put together a nice tour for you to visit these locations.

Nippy is right, I wouldn't go near Edinburgh in the summer months! But then we can go when it's quieter - lucky us but if it's someones only chance to visit, then people should go but be prepared for the crowds. But popular tourist spots everywhere get busy in Scotland during the summer and if the weather is lovely ....... Don't forget your midge spray!! They are out in full force this year! Avon skin so soft works a treat!

Have a lovely time whatever you decide to do and enjoy our beautiful country.

Another local option to miss the Edinburgh crowds is the National Museum of Flight just outside North Berwick. It is about 20 miles from Leith and they have the Concorde that made the first BA flight from London Heathrow in 1976.

• 4 weeks later...
There's a Viking ship in the Firth of Forth right now. Passengers are tendering to the little harbour at Granton. I wonder why the ship hasn't docked at Ocean Terminal in Leith. Nothing very interesting at Granton.

Since you live in the area I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question. Do you know if Uber is widely used? We are considering skipping Edinburgh ( based on suggestions here) and heading to Linlithgow for a more relaxing day. Do you advise Uber as a good option? Thank you for all the local advice you have provided!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We tend to use black cabs. I can't say I'm a fan of Uber round here I'm afraid.

How much time do you have in Edinburgh? It could take you a while to get to Linlithgow and there's really only the ruined Palace to see (although Linlithgow is a nice wee town).

Rather than Uber you might be best to book a small private tour and ask the guide for interesting suggestions other than the crowded centre of town. South Queensferry is very nice for example.

Elizabetho55

Good idea - we went back to Linlithgow last month and it was delightful. But I would maybe arrange a car and driver and spend some time there at Linlithgow Palace which is a ruin but a very well maintained ruin and you can actually imagine what the rooms were used for (good information boards in each space and the views from the top are outstanding.). Several good pubs there too for a nice lunch. You will also be on the right side for visiting Hopetoun House or maybe Blackness Castle - I'm sure if you contacted a local taxi firm or maybe better a tour operator they would put together a nice tour for you. And then you wouldn't have to worry about calling a taxi to get back to the ship but we had no problem getting a local taxi back to the ship from Linlithgow.

Do you know where you are docking? That would be useful to know for the best advice. Linlithgow from Rosyth is maybe 20 minutes in a taxi. If you are going to be docked in Rosyth, definitely visit the historical village of Culross and then head across the new bridge to Linlithgow and crossing the water you will get a wonderful view up and down the Forth and you can just see Edinburgh castle. Or if you have time, you could do a circle and head west and south towards Falkirk from Culross (The Kelpies at Falkirk) and then head to Linlithgow. If we lived closer I'd come fetch you and show you around as I love that part of the world! :D Nippy? What you doing the day Elizabeth's in town?;p

http://www.cruiseforth.com/content/attractions/c11-attractions/

Edited by fairbourne
add link to cruise forth website

Since you live in the area I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question. Do you know if Uber is widely used? We are considering skipping Edinburgh ( based on suggestions here) and heading to Linlithgow for a more relaxing day. Do you advise Uber as a good option? Thank you for all the local advice you have provided!

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, UBER is widely used.

2) If your ship is anchored on the Firth of Forth, and your tender takes you to North Queensferry or South Queensferry, then going to Linlithgow is not far away. But if you have NOT been to downtown Edinburgh before, then, whoever advised you to skip Edinburgh and go to Linlithgow instead is in our view, has given you the WRONG ADVICE. Linlithgow is nice, but there is lot less to see compared to Edinburgh.

However, you might even dock at Leith, which is really a part of Edinburgh, (not far to downtown Edinburgh by Ube taxi, or bus). Or in Rosyth . You need to check with Viking.

Edinburgh is such a charming city, with its architecture quite unique to Scotland. Some of the buildings might even remind you of those found in Harry Potter! (J K Rowling lives in Edinburgh, by the way). Key attractions are the Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile leading up to the Castle, and the Royal Yacht Britannia (the Queen's decommissioned ship, which is now a floating museum). Go up Carlton Hill (from the end of Princess Street in Edinburgh downtown) and you will get a breathtaking PANORAMIC VIEW OF THE CITY. And of course, if your ship is anchored on the Firth of Forth, you will see the 3 bridges spanning side-by-side across the Firth of Forth (Queensferry Crossing, Forth Road Bridge, and the Forth Rail Bridge).

Edinburgh is the second most visited city in the UK, after London. And it OOZES with CHARACTER.

By the way, doesn't VIKING have a free city tour of Edinburgh? Would be very surprised if they haven't.

It would have been great if Viking were to have an overnight stoppover in Edinburgh, like they do some other ports, eg Barcelona and Civitavecchia, etc. You need more than just one day (or in the case of many cruise lines, a few hours) to really see and experience the city.

PS: One thing in case you are taking buses in Edinburgh. Make sure you have the CORRECT FARE. They do NOT give change!

Edited by Gnoelj

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, UBER is widely used.

2) If your ship is anchored on the Firth of Forth, and your tender takes you to North Queensferry or South Queensferry, then going to Linlithgow is not far away. But if you have NOT been to downtown Edinburgh before, then, whoever advised you to skip Edinburgh and go to Linlithgow instead is in our view, has given you the WRONG ADVICE. Linlithgow is nice, but there is lot less to see compared to Edinburgh.

However, you might even dock at Leith, which is really a part of Edinburgh, (not far to downtown Edinburgh by Ube taxi, or bus). Or in Rosyth . You need to check with Viking.

Edinburgh is such a charming city, with its architecture quite unique to Scotland. Some of the buildings might even remind you of those found in Harry Potter! (J K Rowling lives in Edinburgh, by the way). Key attractions are the Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile leading up to the Castle, and the Royal Yacht Britannia (the Queen's decommissioned ship, which is now a floating museum). Go up Carlton Hill (from the end of Princess Street in Edinburgh downtown) and you will get a breathtaking PANORAMIC VIEW OF THE CITY. And of course, if your ship is anchored on the Firth of Forth, you will see the 3 bridges spanning side-by-side across the Firth of Forth (Queensferry Crossing, Forth Road Bridge, and the Forth Rail Bridge).

Edinburgh is the second most visited city in the UK, after London. And it OOZES with CHARACTER.

By the way, doesn't VIKING have a free city tour of Edinburgh? Would be very surprised if they haven't.

It would have been great if Viking were to have an overnight stoppover in Edinburgh, like they do some other ports, eg Barcelona and Civitavecchia, etc. You need more than just one day (or in the case of many cruise lines, a few hours) to really see and experience the city.

PS: One thing in case you are taking buses in Edinburgh. Make sure you have the CORRECT FARE. They do NOT give change!

Thank you so much for all the great information. We have decided to head into Edinburgh and if there are crowds we will be part of them. Seems silly to go and not get into the city. We will go back on our own at some point and see the rest of your beautiful country!