Renting a car in San Francisco

Tennant

We will be in San Francisco for 2 full days (Monday & Tuesday) on our September cruise. We are thinking of renting a car for the Monday and doing Muir Woods and maybe a few other things harder to get to by public transportation. We are traveling with our 18 month old son so a lot of tours are not good options for us.

Thoughts? Advice? And what rental agency is easiest from the cruise port? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are rental places within walking distance of the cruise port. Just google on Fisherman’s Wharf car rental and you should find them (that’s what I’ve done).

Now my suggestion (and also why I’ve not ever rented a car there), is do look up the days open and hours for the spots you want to visit. Muir Woods should be okay, but I’ve run into issues with Mondays and Tuesdays being a favorite day to close in California.

Note that visiting Muir Woods now require advanced reservations to park in its small parking lot. Parking is not allowed along side the roads leading to Muir Woods either.

You can hike, bike or take a bus tour in. And there are Park Service shuttles in Sausalito that will take you there, but I think you need reservations too.

Thanks for the tip on the app! We live in the suburbs of chicago and use spy hero or park whiz when we are downtown. Is best parking the best app for SF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip on the app! We live in the suburbs of chicago and use spy hero or park whiz when we are downtown. Is best parking the best app for SF?

Most people I know use either ParkMe or BestParking.

Oh, and try to make a stop at The Exploratorium. Your son will enjoy it. :)

We will be in San Francisco for 2 full days (Monday & Tuesday) on our September cruise. We are thinking of renting a car for the Monday and doing Muir Woods and maybe a few other things harder to get to by public transportation. We are traveling with our 18 month old son so a lot of tours are not good options for us.

Thoughts? Advice? And what rental agency is easiest from the cruise port? Thanks!!

Reservations are now required for Muir Woods visits. Check into the website as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I rented a car in SF last year, I was sure to per-register: adding all my info including cc and dl #'s. When I arrived at the car rental agency, there were 2 lines. 1 that wrapped around the building and the other with my name on a sign and another person who per-registered as well. I walked right up, was asked my name and handed my keys. This was a HUGE save in time

When I rented a car in SF last year, I was sure to per-register: adding all my info including cc and dl #'s. When I arrived at the car rental agency, there were 2 lines. 1 that wrapped around the building and the other with my name on a sign and another person who per-registered as well. I walked right up, was asked my name and handed my keys. This was a HUGE save in time

Good point. I belong to the Hertz Gold Club. All you have to do is join and pre-input all your information. Then you just walk to the parking lot and pick any car in the level you paid for. I don't stop at any counter, just show my ID and CC at the guard gate on the way out.

You do have to pre-register and I think the first time they made me go to the counter to verify my DL with the CC after that no stops. Not all locations have that "Gold Canopy" option but a lot do or have something close to it. I think you could probably pre-register and go into a Hertz place close by and have them verify the DL and CC before you even get to SF.

Most of the major rental places have something similar to this now.

• 1 month later...

Is Hertz close to the port? We rented with enterprise which I believe is within walking distance. Great tip on the pre-registering. We have 10:30 am parking reservation at Muir Woods.

Is Hertz close to the port? We rented with enterprise which I believe is within walking distance. Great tip on the pre-registering. We have 10:30 am parking reservation at Muir Woods. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enterprise & Hertz are a two blocks from each other in Fisherman's Wharf; 350 & 500 Beach St.