Singapore Cruise Terminal, walking to Marina Bay Sands?

We are embarking on the Sapphire princess at the Singapore cruise terminal and I thought I might get on the ship early around 11am but if I am told that the ship is not ready yet can I drop my bags and walk anywhere from here? It doesn't look to far away from the Marina Bay Sands hotel which I thought would be nice to go up and get a view over Singapore or could we walk to the shops across from this hotel?

We are embarking on the Sapphire princess at the Singapore cruise terminal and I thought I might get on the ship early around 11am but if I am told that the ship is not ready yet can I drop my bags and walk anywhere from here? It doesn't look to far away from the Marina Bay Sands hotel which I thought would be nice to go up and get a view over Singapore or could we walk to the shops across from this hotel?

If it is the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal it would be a longish walk (around 3km) to Marina Bay Sands, probably without much shade, and Singapore is very hot and humid. It would take 30 minutes or more. However according to Google maps there is a bus, route 402, that goes from the cruise terminal to the Marina Bay MRT station, and Marina Bay Sands is one stop from there on the yellow (CE) line. Otherwise just get a taxi.

most princess ships you can drop your bags off early and boarding should commence between 11.30-12 noon and you can go straight to your cabin and drop off your carry on and then have lunch

The cruise center is attached to a huge shopping centre (but most shops don't open to around 11.00 am) and within the shopping centre is the monorail to Sentosa Island with all its attractions etc.

I am sure you will be able to drop off your check in luggage (and ask if there is anywhere you can leave other luggage) and go for a stroll.

Lots to do there at the port.

The cruise center is attached to a huge shopping centre (but most shops don't open to around 11.00 am) and within the shopping centre is the monorail to Sentosa Island with all its attractions etc.

I am sure you will be able to drop off your check in luggage (and ask if there is anywhere you can leave other luggage) and go for a stroll.

Please disregard the above information as it refers to the "other" terminal in Singapore. Have not been to the one you are referring to although the Diamond did dock there on our cruise in March 2014.

OK, that's not the Marina Bay cruise center.

The shopping mall there is VivoCity and it's quite good, plus it has access to Sentosa.

But if the OP wants to go to Marina Bay Sands from there, catch the purple NE line to Chinatown then change to the blue DT line to Bayfront (Marina Bay Sands).

The trains run very frequently, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for a train in Singapore.

Once you get the bus from the terminal out onto the main road near the MRT, you *could* walk, but no point really - you may as well continue on public transport. In photos, it looks as though Marina Bay Sands is close, but at the moment, there is one giant construction site in between!

Disembarked there a couple of months ago. Def too far to walk, with no shade and still construction going on in the area. I suggest you grab a taxi, put your bags in at the cruise terminal, and catch another taxi back to the Marina Bay Sands. There are two separate areas at cruise terminal for taxis, one drop off in front of the main doors, and one further away for pickup. Strongly suggest you grab taxi from the drop off area (as someone else arrives). You may have a huge wait at other pickup area.... like us. Taxis are ridiculously cheap in Singapore.

Access to the pool area of the Marina Bay Sands is no longer free, unless you get lucky and noone checks. The Gardens by the Bay are also very close to the Sands. Shopping over there around the hotel, I thought was expensive, but nice to see.

Edited by bobhsv

Most shopping in Singapore is expensive...:eek::D

I agree, it's got noticeably more expensive in the last few years. We were there last year and I was shocked at the increase in prices from two years prior to that. Food seems to still be reasonable, especially at food courts and hawker stalls. Some of the seafood restaurants are getting very pricey though.

It's a shame. I think Singapore is pricing itself out of the tourist market , and the locals aren't happy either. :(

To give you an idea on prices last year in Singapore .. 2 Singapore slings in Raffles = $ 56 Singapore and we went to Jumbo seafood and had a Chilli Crab $64 Singapore,cabs wear ok but you get different prices for same trips, hawker food stalls and markets are cheap

Raffles Singapore Sling prices have always been outrageous :eek: but $28 each is really ridiculous. I think we paid less than that for cocktails at the St Regis hotel and that place is fairly expensive. But any alcohol is expensive in Singapore due to massive taxes on it.

We went to one of the Long Beach restaurants for crab, with some colleagues of my husband. There were five of us I think. I can't remember what the bill came to but it was more expensive than I expected. We'd gone there two years earlier, also with five in our group and it was definitely cheaper.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

• 3 weeks later...
Raffles Singapore Sling prices have always been outrageous :eek: but $28 each is really ridiculous. I think we paid less than that for cocktails at the St Regis hotel and that place is fairly expensive. But any alcohol is expensive in Singapore due to massive taxes on it.

We went to one of the Long Beach restaurants for crab, with some colleagues of my husband. There were five of us I think. I can't remember what the bill came to but it was more expensive than I expected. We'd gone there two years earlier, also with five in our group and it was definitely cheaper.

Alcohol in Singapore have outrageous prices if served in restaurants and hotels, especially when served with any food (nuts/nibblies) as there is an extra service charge added. So drinks a $X amount plus, plus.:eek:

• 3 years later...

Sapphire Princess will almost certainly dock at Marina Bay Cruise Centre. Disregard all mention of Vivo City Shopping Centre and the monorail to Sentosa as these are at the old Harbourfront Cruise terminal. Only small P&O and Azamarra ships still use Harbourfront. The Marina Bay terminal has a MTR train station approx 10 minutes walk away along a shaded pathway. Just follow the cruise ship staff on their day off. Travel two stops to Bayfront station which strangely enough is closer to Marina Bay Sands Hotel than Marina Bay station. The area around the Marina Bay Sands Hotel is well worth a look but I wouldn't attempt to walk it from the cruise terminal. The best chilli or black pepper crab can be found in Chinatown if you don't mind the plastic tables and chairs and total lack of privacy. Just grab a table on the street and watch the passing parade. The open air restaurants along the East Coast Parkway are a little more up market but generally catch a sea breeze. The Singapore sling experience in Raffles is over rated and expensive and a huge tourist trap.

Sapphire Princess will almost certainly dock at Marina Bay Cruise Centre. Disregard all mention of Vivo City Shopping Centre and the monorail to Sentosa as these are at the old Harbourfront Cruise terminal. Only small P&O and Azamarra ships still use Harbourfront. The Marina Bay terminal has a MTR train station approx 10 minutes walk away along a shaded pathway. Just follow the cruise ship staff on their day off. Travel two stops to Bayfront station which strangely enough is closer to Marina Bay Sands Hotel than Marina Bay station. The area around the Marina Bay Sands Hotel is well worth a look but I wouldn't attempt to walk it from the cruise terminal. The best chilli or black pepper crab can be found in Chinatown if you don't mind the plastic tables and chairs and total lack of privacy. Just grab a table on the street and watch the passing parade. The open air restaurants along the East Coast Parkway are a little more up market but generally catch a sea breeze. The Singapore sling experience in Raffles is over rated and expensive and a huge tourist trap.

OOPS my apologies. Just realised I had added to a 2014 thread. That explains why I thought $28 was cheap for a Singapore sling at Raffles. I think they are $36 now.