Puerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Ushuaia & Montevideo On Your Own or Private Excursion

dog

I'm looking for suggestions from those who are recently back from the South America cruise with these ports. Are there any private tours you did that you'd recommend?

Are any of these ports suitable to just walk around on your own?

Ports: Puerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Ushuaia & Montevideo

dog:)

Do not waste your money on a tour in Chacabuco. There is nothing to see other than pretty scenery. You can see that by catching the local bus to Puerto Aysen and then another bus to Coyhaique. Costs under $10. There are step-by-step instructions in other posts in this forum.

Montevideo, you can easily walk around in and see all the sights. In fact, they will give you a detailed walking tour map when you leave the port.

Ushuaia, you can walk to the prison museum in town, which I've heard is worth visiting. Not much else in town though. It is easy to rent a car though and drive the short distance to Tierra del Fuego.

Not much in Puerto Montt, so a tour to Petrohue Falls and/or Puerto Varas might be in order.

Edited by FredZiffle

I'm looking for suggestions from those who are recently back from the South America cruise with these ports. Are there any private tours you did that you'd recommend?

Are any of these ports suitable to just walk around on your own?

Ports: Puerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Ushuaia & Montevideo

We did many tours in different ports of South America with Tour guide Ushuaia, I always recommend this company, they are very professionals. I attach the links below.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/Attraction_Review-g312855-d10049361-Reviews-Tour_Guide_Ushuaia-Ushuaia_Province_of_Tierra_del_Fuego_Patagonia.html

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1774750

• Like 1

We just got back 2 weeks ago. We did a private tour with Denis in Puerto Montt that did Petrohue Falls, Puerto Varas, and Frittilar. Our guide was Karen who was excellent. We did a ship tour in Chacabuco which did Simpson Valley and Coyhaique. I liked this tour a lot. In Ushuaia, we did a ship tour that did a wildlife cruise and the park. We were surprised how nice it was. We also walked around Ushuaia afterwards and felt very safe there. We took a city tour in Montevideo but the ship docks close to the city and it is easy to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got back 2 weeks ago. We did a private tour with Denis in Puerto Montt that did Petrohue Falls, Puerto Varas, and Frittilar. Our guide was Karen who was excellent. We did a ship tour in Chacabuco which did Simpson Valley and Coyhaique. I liked this tour a lot. In Ushuaia, we did a ship tour that did a wildlife cruise and the park. We were surprised how nice it was. We also walked around Ushuaia afterwards and felt very safe there. We took a city tour in Montevideo but the ship docks close to the city and it is easy to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any other tips? We cruise next Feb.-San Antonio to Buenos Aires.

Thanks. Very helpful.

Any other tips? We cruise next Feb.-San Antonio to Buenos Aires.

Thanks. Very helpful.

I did a complete review with lots of photos from our recently completed cruise from BA to San Antonio. I had some excellent private tours in most of the ports. you can find the review on our website that is linked to in my signature. Links to the guides websites are included in the review along with lots of photos from the tours.

I did a complete review with lots of photos from our recently completed cruise from BA to San Antonio. I had some excellent private tours in most of the ports. you can find the review on our website that is linked to in my signature. Links to the guides websites are included in the review along with lots of photos from the tours.

Yes, Mike & Carol, I love your review and photos! Amazing trip. Thank you so much for sharing.

Yes, Mike & Carol, I love your review and photos! Amazing trip. Thank you so much for sharing.

We had some excellent private tours that you might check out. There are some awesome ports on this cruise, so I hope you can get some good tours to see the amazing sights.

• 4 months later...

We did several of those ports on our own. Here is a link to our blog review: South America - Around the Horn 2017

The index page has all the ports of call listed, simply click on whatever port is of interest.

For Puerto Montt, although we specifically asked for a birding tour, they do Nature Walks as well. Super professional company.

Heather

Thank you for such a great cruise review. I can image the effort you had spent working on the photos, and remembering the stories of all of them.

Does T-Mobile data plan (which I also have) cover all ports in the itinerary?

Did the ship cruise along the strait of Magellan?

I know these ports extremely well and always fill my days with wonderful adventures. It's not mentioned, which, Patrick Watts tour? He runs several. The ONLY one for my preferences is Volunteer Point. Keep in mind there are at least 3 (sometimes 4) tender ports. Thinking, you'll just magically get on the first tenders is naive. These itineraries have a lot of people wanting off the ship. So plan carefully and be ready to go at least 30 minutes prior to the posted time.

It doesn't matter which direction, I often stay on for both. :) It's also easy to use cheap transfers, and public buses in ports. You DO have to have local currency.

Those claiming to rent cars for Ushuaia, need Argentine currency for the park admission.

Montevideo is a great walking city. I highly recommend the free walking tour. But there is plenty more to see and do. I've gotten into some magnificent buildings, and really enjoyed the Andes Museum

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
In Montevideo can you do this on your own? Does the ship drop you off near the city?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

We were there on Christmas Day and most of everything was closed. We did a morning private tour with a guide for birding, but then in the afternoon - we did the City Centre “on our own”. Very easy walk from the cruise port. Free maps were being handed out as you left the port area to the City Centre.

https://baskeytravels.com/montevideo-uruguay/

You can also try out the free walking tour that is offered:

http://freewalkingtour.com.uy/english/index.html

We didn’t do the walking tour, as we had something else planned until later that day, but IF we didn’t go out birding, we would have certainly taken that walking tour - as it covered the main attractions.

• 6 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 6:14 AM, dog said:

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I'm back to planning. My Patrick Watts tour is for Volunteer Point!

It was amazing. 1/2 early got us on 1 st tender.