Coffee on Princess Ships

Yep -5 here in Canberra, sun came out around 10.30am. I tell you it is chilly playing Football on icy pitches.

She was heading to a dog show, said it was about 7 when she arrived, I think that was around 10:30, but not certain on the time.

Further to Mrs Gut's Aldi Chai Latte ... I've discovered Aldi's "Strong Capp" sachets. 10 to a box @ $3.00 a box. Actually not bad - it sure beats the Princess stuff - well to my taste and I'm from Melbourne, but not one of the local coffee snobs. The box also comes with a small container of chocolate powder to sprinkle on top. LOL, can just see me up in the 'pig's trough' with my sachet, pour in the not quite boiling water, sprinkle on the choccy and away I go. Wonder how many of my fellow cruisers are going to ask "where did you get that?"

Incidentally, it does leave quite a residue in the mug. Let's see how good the Princess dishwashers are. :o

Further to Mrs Gut's Aldi Chai Latte ... I've discovered Aldi's "Strong Capp" sachets. 10 to a box @ $3.00 a box. Actually not bad - it sure beats the Princess stuff - well to my taste and I'm from Melbourne, but not one of the local coffee snobs. The box also comes with a small container of chocolate powder to sprinkle on top. LOL, can just see me up in the 'pig's trough' with my sachet, pour in the not quite boiling water, sprinkle on the choccy and away I go. Wonder how many of my fellow cruisers are going to ask "where did you get that?"

Incidentally, it does leave quite a residue in the mug. Let's see how good the Princess dishwashers are. :o

I prefer the Moconna one, often on sale for same price as the Aldi a bit milder

The thing I dislike most about Princess is the lack of coffee makers or even hot water machines in the cabins.

Yes I know you can call room service and get coffee or hot water but it means wasting time, 20 to 30 minutes to get your delivery. For a upper end mainstream line they really do fail with coffee all around.

IF Cunard and P&O UK can put tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins, so could Princess.:(

'Where did you get that?' Yes, that is what they say when you open your cappa sachet in HC.:rolleyes:

IF Cunard and P&O UK can put tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins, so could Princess.:(

Never understood how it’s a fire risk on some ships not on others.😏

Now a health risk if not cleaned properly.

I think the included coffee on cruise ships is cruise ships is similar to what is served on airlines.

My experience is that coffee on planes is THE WORST, much worse than any coffee I have had on a cruise-ship :D. I now only drink black tea on planes, oh well apart from a little alcohol.

My experience is that coffee on planes is THE WORST, much worse than any coffee I have had on a cruise-ship :D. I now only drink black tea on planes, oh well apart from a little alcohol.

Worst thing about the coffee on planes is the temperature.:eek:

Worst thing about the coffee on planes is the temperature.:eek:

Yes 100% correct. Tepid liquid that tastes nothing like coffee and those silly little milk thingies that squirt milk out when you try to open them. Give me cruise coffee any day :)

Bother. I was afraid of that. :confused: Looks like I’ll need to pack my own solution.

Makes the purchase of a beverage package less attractive if I have to pack my own beans.

If packing your own solution means bringing something electrical that plugs in there is the strong possibility that they may take it off you before boarding & return it to you at the end.

The reason they give is related to electrical safety but that doesn't gel with me as they provide drip coffee machines in suites and for a while RC was providing kettles in Australian waters. They still do so in Asia, due to passenger demand for chinese tea.

Princess did however deliver a flask/jug of boiling water to the cabin very promptly when asked.

Sad isn't it that even our instant is better than that foul American stuff. Uggg

A lot of people take the Nestle Cuppacino type sachets but I find them worse than the coffee onboard. I’d prefer to drink tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have found most ship coffee disgusting. The wife liked cuppacino so we took the Aldi Double Cuppacino sachets then mix it with the hot milk from the breakfast porridge site in the buffet.

I've given up drinking ship coffe as I like it black, straight up - Espresso, long black or Americano.

Yes 100% correct. Tepid liquid that tastes nothing like coffee and those silly little milk thingies that squirt milk out when you try to open them. Give me cruise coffee any day :)

I drink my tea and coffee black and no sugar/sweetener. That means I have nothing to try and mask the full flavour of the beverage which is often not what you want if it is distasteful. Perhaps I should start with sugar again.

Might be of interest: Murray & Vivian who are currently on the Sea Princess World Cruise have a blog which I have been following - Still Travelling - and as you can imagine a morning and afternoon cuppa forms a part of a ritual for a ‘world cruiser’. Murray’s opinion of barista coffee in a recent post was “they get it right 80% of the time”. No mention of ships coffee!!

For me as a somewhat experienced cruiser but not as experienced as some - this is good enough for me. His views on the great coffee card debate are a comedy to read - only on a cruise ship!! Then there is the clockwise v anticlockwise circumnavigation of the promenade deck - worth the effort of reading the blog each day to see the outcome [emoji38]

Like you Mic I drink black coffee - double shot espressos when in desperate need [emoji15]. If an espresso isn’t good, everything else is in trouble.

[emoji106]to the Paid Princess 80% coffees!!

Edited by Porky55

Might be of interest: Murray & Vivian who are currently on the Sea Princess World Cruise have a blog which I have been following - Still Travelling - and as you can imagine a morning and afternoon cuppa forms a part of a ritual for a ‘world cruiser’. Murray’s opinion of barista coffee in a recent post was “they get it right 80% of the time”. No mention of ships coffee!!

For me as a somewhat experienced cruiser but not as experienced as some - this is good enough for me. His views on the great coffee card debate are a comedy to read - only on a cruise ship!! Then there is the clockwise v anticlockwise circumnavigation of the promenade deck - worth the effort of reading the blog each day to see the outcome [emoji38]

Like you Mic I drink black coffee - double shot espressos when in desperate need [emoji15]. If an espresso isn’t good, everything else is in trouble.

[emoji106]to the Paid Princess 80% coffees!!

Sounds like an interesting blog. Could you post a link to it, please?

It is alleged by some that Princess makes the Horizon Court coffee particularly distasteful in order to increase revenue by the sale of ye olde 'Coffee Cards.' :eek:

Now it could be fake news or real news.:rolleyes:

I can never understand why they call it ‘speciality’ coffee. It’s not that special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's so they can charge you big bucks for a horrible "special" coffee. Last cruise I decided to see what was so "special" about the coffee at the IC. I paid for it, sat down, and it was horrible! I couldn't drink it! I took it back over to them and told them it wasn't worth what I paid for it, and I wouldn't even drink it if it were FREE!

It is alleged by some that Princess makes the Horizon Court coffee particularly distasteful in order to increase revenue by the sale of ye olde 'Coffee Cards.' :eek:

Now it could be fake news or real news.:rolleyes:

Fake news. Coffee at the Horizon has always been horrible. Princess knows it and came up with the revenue generating idea of "specialty coffee." It's anything but special. It's just as bad as Horizon Court. They have people on board thinking it's special. BS!