Adelaide Car Rental

Does anyone know the closest car rental place to where the ships dock in Adelaide. Google has not been particularly helpful so thought someone who has been there before or a local might be able to help. Thank you.

The Outer Harbour Terminal is not near anything, however the train station is just over the road and that will take you straight into the city where you can pick up a hire car. Thrifty is in Hindley Street which is a hop skip and a jump from the city train station.

Otherwise there is Europecar at Gepps Cross which would require a taxi ride as well as Access Rent a Car on Port Road at Hindmarsh, again a Taxi ride - both are about the same distance from the Port. The airport of course is an option but the city is closer and you can get there on public transport.

Where is it you want to go?

The Outer Harbour Terminal is not near anything, however the train station is just over the road and that will take you straight into the city where you can pick up a hire car. Thrifty is in Hindley Street which is a hop skip and a jump from the city train station.

Otherwise there is Europecar at Gepps Cross which would require a taxi ride as well as Access Rent a Car on Port Road at Hindmarsh, again a Taxi ride - both are about the same distance from the Port. The airport of course is an option but the city is closer and you can get there on public transport.

Where is it you want to go?

Bingo,prob solved,train straight to the heart of city.

Ya don't want to be in a taxi,fighting to Gepps Cross or on Port Rd,esp in morning.

Many cruise lines have a free shuttle into the city - actually I think the tourist dept here puts in on.

With Celebrity we were directed to the train station.

There were tourist staff guiding/helping at the train station.

The volunteers put on by SA Tourism are excellent, will be able to direct you to the best possible solution. I have been into all of Australia's city ports and was rather proud of my home state's welcome to cruise ships, we might not be the prettiest, or most central but IMO provide the most help. Our volunteers wear bright blue shirts and you can't miss them.

In fact I thought that when I retired I might volunteer as well, get a second hand cruise fix[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The volunteers put on by SA Tourism are excellent, will be able to direct you to the best possible solution. I have been into all of Australia's city ports and was rather proud of my home state's welcome to cruise ships, we might not be the prettiest, or most central but IMO provide the most help. Our volunteers wear bright blue shirts and you can't miss them.

In fact I thought that when I retired I might volunteer as well, get a second hand cruise fix[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes Adl did it well. Of the Capitals I think they and Hobart do it best.

They do a wonderful job, and if you join them at least you have the cruising experiences that will help the passengers even better.:D

• 1 year later...
Some car companies will have a car waiting for you (for a price) at the cruise terminal.

Hi, sorry, hijacking an old post.

Any idea which car companies will have a car waiting? Train is an hour into the city, would be good to have that extra hour driving somewhere instead.

Hi, sorry, hijacking an old post.

Any idea which car companies will have a car waiting? Train is an hour into the city, would be good to have that extra hour driving somewhere instead.

Hi, I called just about every car hire place in Adelaide and no one would bring a car to the port.

Nearest Car hire is Budget at Wingfield, about $30 in a taxi.........and then on return.

Hire was about $90 for the day. I told them they should start a shuttle between the port and the office, even at $10 each way they would make money with a full van.

There were lots on our Rollcall wanting to hire but it was all too hard and costly.

We had a great day anyway, nice little car and a full day of sightseeing.

• 1 year later...

just to bump up the thread especially as the is a lot more cruising out of Adelaide this winter - with the Sapphire Princess, Budget car rental will bring the car to you, We just booked ours for October.

Cruising into the Outer Harbour Cruise Terminal in Adelaide? And need a car to explore the city and beyond?

Book at Adelaide City (using discount code D965125) and we will bring the car to you at the terminal!

There’s no need to catch a Taxi, an Uber or Ola to get to your car when we can bring it to you! Get onto your land adventure with ease.

Book on this page and the discount code is included or for further information contact Adelaide city:

https://www.budget.com.au/en/offers/au-offers/adelaide-cruise-terminal

4 minutes ago, aussiecruiser275 said:

just to bump up the thread especially as the is a lot more cruising out of Adelaide this winter - with the Sapphire Princess, Budget car rental will bring the car to you, We just booked ours for October.

Cruising into the Outer Harbour Cruise Terminal in Adelaide? And need a car to explore the city and beyond?

Book at Adelaide City (using discount code D965125) and we will bring the car to you at the terminal!

There’s no need to catch a Taxi, an Uber or Ola to get to your car when we can bring it to you! Get onto your land adventure with ease.

Book on this page and the discount code is included or for further information contact Adelaide city:

https://www.budget.com.au/en/offers/au-offers/adelaide-cruise-terminal

That is so great, see my post above as we had suggested that to them nearly 2 years ago!!

So much easier, our taxi there and back cost nearly as much as the car hire!!

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The train from Outer Harbour is free for seniors and only $10 for anyone else for any train, tram or bus travel on the day.

I was very pleased when we got off Majestic a couple of weeks ago and found that the port station was full of rail staff giving away free tickets to us oldies. ☺️

It was even good for the airport bus from the city.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

30 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I was very pleased when we got off Majestic a couple of weeks ago and found that the port station was full of rail staff giving away free tickets to us oldies. ☺️

It was even good for the airport bus from the city.

Yep, we used the train and I got a Senior ticket for the BIL. Then used the tram to Glenelg and back.

3 hours ago, vette said:

Hi Mic,

What age is considered "senior" in Adelaide.  Just wondering as we will be there in November.

Essentially it is someone with a seniors card (60+) or a concession card (which is a government issued card) neither of which would apply for overseas passengers. However, some of the railway staff were providing the seniors tickets to people who were obviously over 60 without proof of either card.

At the very least it will be $10 pp for travel on any public transport in Adelaide for the day.