New Zealand sweet treats

My 15yo is mad on trying snack and sweets from different countries. Whenever we are overseas he has to try some of the local treats, if its chocolate even better.

we are stopping in Aukland, Tuaragura, wellington, akaroa and Dunedin.

Can anyone recomend a specialty store or location that he can try local treats?

He was really bummed when I told him cadbury world had closed.

I have posted this question on the ports of call thread also

Thanks maree

Go to any supermarket and buy a packet of Pineapple Lumps, Whittaker's Chocolate (similar to Cadbury, but a Kiwi version) and a Pinkie or two.

Can you still get Pixie Caramel bars? And Buzz Bars, and Chocolate Fish, and Snifters?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It's funny, I was just thinking about Pixie Caramels a week or so ago. Haven't had one in years. I've promised myself I'll buy one when we're over next year.

We used to have an NZ section in our local Woolworths supermarket but it disappeared when they reorganised it. No Pixie Caramels but they had some of my old favourite biscuits like Krispies and Griffin's Gingernuts.

Can you still get Pixie Caramel bars? And Buzz Bars, and Chocolate Fish, and Snifters?

I have not heard of Pixie Caramel bars, Buzz Bars or Snifters (and I am a kiwi :eek:), but you should be able to still get Chocolate Fish at any supermarket.

I have not heard of Pixie Caramel bars, Buzz Bars or Snifters (and I am a kiwi :eek:), but you should be able to still get Chocolate Fish at any supermarket.

Pixie Caramel bars are a hard caramel bar covered in chocolate. The caramel has a slight hint of cinnamon in it, I think.

A Buzz Bar is dense marshmallow covered in chocolate. I can't remember whether it has a caramel layer or not, it's decades since I last had one. It used to be very popular to stick them in the freezer and eat them frozen. In fact many stores sold them frozen.

Snifters are small oval sweets. The outer shell (similar to that of a Jaffa) is pale green and mint flavoured, then there is a thin layer of chocolate, and the rest of the sweet is a mint flavoured nougat. They used to be sold in small boxes like Jaffas. They may have even been made by the same company.

I don't eat many sweets these days so never thought to check if they were still around when I came back to NZ for visits.

I had forgotten about Pixie Caramels. They used to be a favourite -when I could chew...:D

Have not seen them for a while but checked up and Countdown have them on line for $1. A Neztles product so has to fight for shelf space I suppose.

Yes the Buzz Bar does have a layer of caramel. Jaffas and Snifters were made by Cadbury under the Pascall brand. You can still buy Jaffas but not sure about Snifters.

I used to be very fond of Snifters many years ago but had to stop eating them after I developed a mild allergy to peppermint flavouring - it gives me hayfever these days. Bummer!

Then there were Oddfellows, Macintosh's Toffees, Black Knight liquorice (I got really sick from eating too much of that once), I think someone already mentioned Pineapple Lumps, Jet Planes, Milk Bottles, all of which appear to be still available, and probably a whole lot more that have faded into obscurity. Some may have originally been British sweets.

There is a shop in Wellington where you can some if the old goodies - k bars snifters sparkles and chocolate fish the normal sized not spratz

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Forums mobile app

Mrs Gut thinks the one I went to was in Wellington and it certainly had some oldies but goodies.