Air Fare to Sydney from Canada - Feb/Mar 2019

I have been patiently waiting for air fare to come down flying from Western Canada to Sydney in Feb/Mar and its still around $2000 Can.per person economy. Any one have any history or idea if price will come down? Seems quite high to me for economy.

It is high, but prices between Canada and Australia are typically high due to lack of competition.

If you can get yourself down to Seattle or San Fran, prices are around $1300-$1400 return AUD (which is similar to CAD) at that time.

Would think that price of getting to another city to save price in flights would cancel out the savings made on a Canadian departure - though worth taking a look at the option - just saying :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Possibly although some hubs have much better pricing due to the amount of traffic for a particular route. Definitely worth checking, sometimes you can save a few hundred and not spend any extra time in airport lounges.

Would think that price of getting to another city to save price in flights would cancel out the savings made on a Canadian departure - though worth taking a look at the option - just saying :)

Shouldn't cost $600... but some people are happy to drive, or may have other connections that make it workable anyway. Some like the stopover to shorten the lengthy flights as well.

It is high, but prices between Canada and Australia are typically high due to lack of competition.

If you can get yourself down to Seattle or San Fran, prices are around $1300-$1400 return AUD (which is similar to CAD) at that time.

We watched carefully as well. So many Canadians are refusing to go through the US that competition is way down on flights out of Vancouver. Cutting it into two segments and going Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong on the way back worked out way cheaper. Plus we took 3 nights in Hong Kong.

Viv

Asia to Australia is cheap compared to anywhere else to Australia so a stopover in HK, Singapore or Malaysia may be worth looking at.

That adds a lot more to flying time though, and unlikely pricing through there is value. Unless you wanted to visit them anyway.

Nickle and dimed them all....basically its a case of eating it. Too many trade offs in the end. For example: van- hon...you get to break up flight, but...add on a nights hotel and two taxis between hotel and airport, all in US $. And it works out the same ormore. Another example: ck out the type of airplanes between Van - Hon, and Hon-Syd....older, more uncomfortable.

So cmfort and pricing are the two biggies from Canada.

I haven’t found any deal by driving to US to get cheaper flights. People from other parts of the world just don’t understand the weakness of our dollar esp against the US or British pound when we have to exchange. Or the high taxes and airport taxes we pay.

My tickets were purchased in Jan, for this coming Jan.they have not wavered in price as of yesterday. Aircanada is a killer for everything, but i started to break flights down, and realized, those cheaper flights had horrid times, long layovers, and usually multiple stops, which might not be as simple as connecting. It could involve terminal changes.

The flight to Aust and NewZealand is the reason we kept putting this travel off. Too long, too expensive...so now its a case of “now or never”. Good luck, be patient, keep your calculator in hand.

People from other parts of the world just don’t understand the weakness of our dollar esp against the US or British pound when we have to exchange. Or the high taxes and airport taxes we pay.

Oh, I think we understand. Given our dollar is worth very similar to yours, and in fact is worth slightly less at present...

Oh, I think we understand. Given our dollar is worth very similar to yours, and in fact is worth slightly less at present...

Yes, that’s true. It’s another reason I luv you Aussies.... you really are like kith n kin even with money...... :hearteyes:

Not to mention we are so beautiful inside and out....:*