Review of Beach restaurant bar Hemmingways!

AmBear

Its April, 2018, and we're tendering off the Carnival Glory to Grand Cayman.

We take a taxi at the port, it costs $20. for the 2 of us one way to Hemmingways.

Once at Hemingway's, we walk directly to the beautiful beach, grab a couple beach chairs with an umbrella, and run into the beautiful water. The little fish were swimming between our legs within minutes! The water was clear and a comfortable temperature.

The deal at Hemmingways is you have access to their beach, pools, bathrooms, if you are willing to spend $25. a person on food/drinks! Grand Cayman is expensive, so that's no problem!

After about 90 minutes in the beautiful water, we grab our things and head off to one of 2 pools at Hemingway's! Showers are right where you walk off the beach to the pool area.

I choose to wait for our lunch order in the 'swim up bar' pool.

I ordered a 8oz Angus burger with fries and a beer, while my wife ordered a lobster quesadilla with fries, and a beer. Both were great!!! Yep, better then Guys!

About the 2 pools at Hemmingways,,, one is 4 feet deep with a volley ball net across, this pool also has a ramp entry, which seemingly makes it wheel chair accessible. I could see small groups having a lot of fun in that pool playing volleyball!

The other pool, the swim up bar pool has 2 ends that are 3 feet deep, and a center area that is 7 1/2 feet deep. There are also areas along the sides that have 6 inch deep shelf areas that recliners can be put in. Just a beautiful pool set up.

The whole pool area is surrounded by umbrella covered tables to enjoy your food/drinks!

Want to give a shout out to Hemmingway's general manager-Reno, our server-Shiela, and all the others we met here, they provided great service!

This is one of the best, 'almost' secret places to spend a day in Grand Cayman, its not crowded, at least for now, and the food and facility are great!

We can't wait for our return to Hemmingways in late May 2018!

• 2 weeks later...

Check the bus routes....that could save a bundle! It's $2.50 pp for the bus....just tell the driver where you want to get off. Walk to the road when you're done, and get on the next bus going back to the dock.

I don’t think it should be $10 pp each way from the port to Hemingway’s unless you specifically asked for a private taxi instead of one of the shared ride taxi vans. My guess would be $5 or $6 pp each way?

There are rumours on island that Hemingways will be closing in September of 2018. I think that this is a big shame, because it definitely provided something different from the Royal Palms. Hopefully it will be replaced by something similar.

There are rumours on island that Hemingways will be closing in September of 2018. I think that this is a big shame, because it definitely provided something different from the Royal Palms. Hopefully it will be replaced by something similar.

I was there last week, talked with the mgr., he said they're still targeting Dec. this year for opening the hotel.

BTW, the beach loungers/cabanas were full!

and the pools had 15 to 20 people in them.

Do you have any pics of Hemmingway's? And was 15-20 pple in the pool crowded? Looking for somewhere not as crowded as seven mile beach, but still has facilities. Any watersports or rentals there?

No, there are 2 large pools!

The day we were there, 3 jet skis were available for rental.

7 mile beach is the best beach in Grand Cayman.

There are other small beach areas that don't offer the facilities that 7 mile beach does.

No, there are 2 large pools!

The day we were there, 3 jet skis were available for rental.

7 mile beach is the best beach in Grand Cayman.

There are other small beach areas that don't offer the facilities that 7 mile beach does.

Awesome! Yeah I just realized that it’s actually part of SMB. We’re going next week so hopefully they at least stay open that long!! Any pictures?

• 1 month later...
Awesome! Yeah I just realized that it’s actually part of SMB. We’re going next week so hopefully they at least stay open that long!! Any pictures?

We are considering Hemingway’s for a beach day at the end of the month. Did you go and how crowded was it? Also, what was the cab cost or did you take the bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! It was not crowded at all, but it was kind of a cloudy day, and there were only 3 ships in port that day. We sat on the beach (not on a chair) and nobody said a word to us about spending anything on food or drinks. We didn't go in the pool, though. There was nobody in the pool, but it was very nice! There was construction noise, but was barely noticeable down on the beach. Food looked expensive, but they did have a sorbet cart which was very reasonable up by the pool. We just took the bus there. Very easy!

Yes! It was not crowded at all, but it was kind of a cloudy day, and there were only 3 ships in port that day. We sat on the beach (not on a chair) and nobody said a word to us about spending anything on food or drinks. We didn't go in the pool, though. There was nobody in the pool, but it was very nice! There was construction noise, but was barely noticeable down on the beach. Food looked expensive, but they did have a sorbet cart which was very reasonable up by the pool. We just took the bus there. Very easy!

Thanks! Were the beach chairs nice with big umbrellas? We’re looking for a place to really spend all day and we both sunburn easily. I was thinking Royal Palms but thought this might be a really nice alternative.

Thanks! Were the beach chairs nice with big umbrellas? We’re looking for a place to really spend all day and we both sunburn easily. I was thinking Royal Palms but thought this might be a really nice alternative.

Both are close to the same, except Hemmingways has 2 pools, a little better food at a slightly higher cost, and usually a little less crowded the Royal Palms!

For those who may not be aware...the current Hemingways is closing in September 2018. The property has been sold and will undergo renovations. It is uncertain whether the new owners will reopen to the public after the transition with the facilities available as is or only operate as a private resort/hotel like it has been in the past.

I received this information from the current team at Hemmingways after I emailed asking for information about visiting in November this year. If you plan to visit this fall I recommend you email them using the contact information on their website to check the closing date closer to your planned visit.

For those who may not be aware...the current Hemingways is closing in September 2018. The property has been sold and will undergo renovations.

Thanks! I actually had seen that, but our trip is at the end of July so I think we should be OK. Still, probably not a bad idea to email just for more information.

I think we are going to RP after looking at Hemmingways menu--a jump up in price from RP!

I love how they say you can use "their beach" for $25 pp--um, ALL of 7 Mile Beach is Public.

But guess they can charge for bathrooms & certainly pool.

No matter to me--always gonna buy some drinks!

I heard back from Hemingway’s - the pricing is actually $30 per umbrella so I wonder if they got some pushback. Cabanas are $150 and that includes a bottle of Prosecco and two bottles of water.

I think we’re going to try Hemingway’s (chairs and umbrella – No cabana!) so you and I can compare notes back on the ship! [emoji3]