Boston Shuttle?

knelson317

We are stopping in Boston on our upcoming RCI cruise. We stopped last summer on a Celebrity cruise and had an excursion booked that also provided the option to return to the ship on a latter shuttle. While there we also found that there was a simple shuttle to the inner city available through the cruise line, I have not been able to find anything similar to this on RCI. Does anyone know it RCI offers a simple shuttle bus into the city, or if the cruise terminal may? We cannot walk the distance as we our traveling with a young child and we would prefer to avoid mass transit if at all possible. TIA

We are stopping in Boston on our upcoming RCI cruise. We stopped last summer on a Celebrity cruise and had an excursion booked that also provided the option to return to the ship on a latter shuttle. While there we also found that there was a simple shuttle to the inner city available through the cruise line, I have not been able to find anything similar to this on RCI. Does anyone know it RCI offers a simple shuttle bus into the city, or if the cruise terminal may? We cannot walk the distance as we our traveling with a young child and we would prefer to avoid mass transit if at all possible. TIA

Where exactly do you want to go in Boston? What day of the week and what time would you be doing this? With 3 people Uber would likely be a competitively priced option.

We are just looking to get into central Boston to walk around for the day. I know with Celebrity the shuttles picked up and dropped off a few blocks from Faneuil Market which worked well. Taking an Uber would be tough since LO would need a car seat that we were not planning on bringing along.

We are just looking to get into central Boston to walk around for the day. I know with Celebrity the shuttles picked up and dropped off a few blocks from Faneuil Market which worked well. Taking an Uber would be tough since LO would need a car seat that we were not planning on bringing along.

Quite frankly the Silver Line SL2 bus would work just as well as a paid shuttlebus. It's public transit, but you should definitely get seats getting on at Black Falcon, which is the end/beginning of the line. The Silver Line will take you to South Station where you can walk to the Children's Museum and the Rose Kennedy Greenway among other places in downtown Boston.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing. One of the tours that is offered on the Anthem is the "Old Town Trolley" and in the description it talks about complementary shuttle from pier to Faneuil Square. Wonder if this is so, so that I can book thru Old Town Trolley hop on/off bus itinerary.

I was wondering the same thing. One of the tours that is offered on the Anthem is the "Old Town Trolley" and in the description it talks about complementary shuttle from pier to Faneuil Square. Wonder if this is so, so that I can book thru Old Town Trolley hop on/off bus itinerary.

When cruisers are in port, the Old Town Trolley normally operates a stop at the pier (18a) to "shuttle" folks to the main trolley loop at Stop 1. https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/map

Could you cut and paste the exact description of the tour? The exact wording is important to know what to expect.

When cruisers are in port, the Old Town Trolley normally operates a stop at the pier (18a) to "shuttle" folks to the main trolley loop at Stop 1. https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/map

Could you cut and paste the exact description of the tour? The exact wording is important to know what to expect.

Here it is. see last bullet point in the Highlights.

Overview

Relive colonial Boston's bustling seaport days on a fully narrated Old Town Trolley Tour. Beacon Hill, Fenway Park, Cambridge, Old North Church, Bunker Hill the Public Garden, and CHEERS, are among the historic sites you'll see. Looking across the harbor in Charlestown you'll see the beautiful Bunker Hill Monument with a possible sighting of the celebrated war ship, USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides." End the tour at Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall or return to the ship. BX19

Highlights

• Old Town: Hear colorful anecdotes and humorous facts about Boston and enjoy well-researched historical information aboard the trolley.
  • Faneuil Hall Marketplace: Explore the site of historic town hall meetings during revolutionary times and shop in Quincy Market.
  • Boston Trolley Transfer: If you're stopping at Quincy Market you can take advantage of complimentary transportation back to the ship.

Here it is. see last bullet point in the Highlights.

Overview

Relive colonial Boston's bustling seaport days on a fully narrated Old Town Trolley Tour. Beacon Hill, Fenway Park, Cambridge, Old North Church, Bunker Hill the Public Garden, and CHEERS, are among the historic sites you'll see. Looking across the harbor in Charlestown you'll see the beautiful Bunker Hill Monument with a possible sighting of the celebrated war ship, USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides." End the tour at Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall or return to the ship. BX19

Highlights

• Old Town: Hear colorful anecdotes and humorous facts about Boston and enjoy well-researched historical information aboard the trolley.
  • Faneuil Hall Marketplace: Explore the site of historic town hall meetings during revolutionary times and shop in Quincy Market.
  • Boston Trolley Transfer: If you're stopping at Quincy Market you can take advantage of complimentary transportation back to the ship.

What is the estimated time for this tour? What I'm thinking is that this is not a hop on hop off tour. They will stage a bunch of trolleys right at the port to pick up passengers and will drive you on the hop on hop off route without stopping. Can't tell if they will do the full loop over to Cambridge and out to Fenway, but possibly not.

As I mentioned before, they run a connector route to the port on cruise days, so I'm thinking the tour will drop folks at Faneuil Hall if they want and take the rest of the people back to the port. If you want to stay at Faneuil Hall, you will be able to ride the connector Trolley back to the port after you've explored Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall and possibly the North End on your own.

What is the estimated time for this tour? What I'm thinking is that this is not a hop on hop off tour. They will stage a bunch of trolleys right at the port to pick up passengers and will drive you on the hop on hop off route without stopping. Can't tell if they will do the full loop over to Cambridge and out to Fenway, but possibly not.

As I mentioned before, they run a connector route to the port on cruise days, so I'm thinking the tour will drop folks at Faneuil Hall if they want and take the rest of the people back to the port. If you want to stay at Faneuil Hall, you will be able to ride the connector Trolley back to the port after you've explored Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall and possibly the North End on your own.

Thanks for the info. The tour is less than 2 hours. I've sent an e-mail to RCL tour dept. Shorex@rccl getting clarification on HOHO characteristic and the complementary shuttle.

Thanks for the info. The tour is less than 2 hours. I've sent an e-mail to RCL tour dept. Shorex@rccl getting clarification on HOHO characteristic and the complementary shuttle.

If it's less than 2 hours, there is no Hoho option. How much is RCL charging for this tour?

I would be contacting Old Town Trolleys directly instead of RCL.

What exactly did you envision for your Trolley experience? What day of the week would you be doing this? Is there a particular area you want to explore in Boston? Downtown Boston is a walking area. The streets are narrow, there is traffic, and the Hoho's can often get you only close to an area so you do have to walk. Examples would be the North End and Boston Common.

If you want to Hoho, then you can buy directly from Old Town and get picked up and returned to the port on the connector Trolley. You can also just identify the "must see" areas. What I often recommend is to first take cab or Uber to the Constitution in Charlestown to see the museum and ship before the crowds. Then take the MBTA water taxi for $3.50/pp to Long Wharf (mini upper harbor cruise) Do the circle walk through the North End on the Freedom Trail ending up back at Faneuil Hall. Walk the Freedom Trail backwards to Boston Common. Take the Red Line/Silver Line from Park St back to the port or just take a cab or Uber. You can do all this on your own using Uber for a lot less than 2 Trolley tickets.

Another consideration with using the real Hoho is that the Anthem is likely to be there on a Sat, which means that with so many cruisers there could be difficulties getting back onto the Hoho once you get off. You could just take the nonstop tour and walk or Uber back to anything in particular you want to see.

If it's less than 2 hours, there is no Hoho option. How much is RCL charging for this tour?

I would be contacting Old Town Trolleys directly instead of RCL.

What exactly did you envision for your Trolley experience? What day of the week would you be doing this? Is there a particular area you want to explore in Boston? Downtown Boston is a walking area. The streets are narrow, there is traffic, and the Hoho's can often get you only close to an area so you do have to walk. Examples would be the North End and Boston Common.

If you want to Hoho, then you can buy directly from Old Town and get picked up and returned to the port on the connector Trolley. You can also just identify the "must see" areas. What I often recommend is to first take cab or Uber to the Constitution in Charlestown to see the museum and ship before the crowds. Then take the MBTA water taxi for $3.50/pp to Long Wharf (mini upper harbor cruise) Do the circle walk through the North End on the Freedom Trail ending up back at Faneuil Hall. Walk the Freedom Trail backwards to Boston Common. Take the Red Line/Silver Line from Park St back to the port or just take a cab or Uber. You can do all this on your own using Uber for a lot less than 2 Trolley tickets.

Another consideration with using the real Hoho is that the Anthem is likely to be there on a Sat, which means that with so many cruisers there could be difficulties getting back onto the Hoho once you get off. You could just take the nonstop tour and walk or Uber back to anything in particular you want to see.

Yes, it is a Saturday. RCL charge is $41 per. With regards to what in particular and the answer is just want to get view of the most interesting sights.. Wife has a bit of a mobility issue and the hoho would provide flexibility in getting off at certain spots. We did this in Cannes and it worked great with the provided head phones giving historical and interesting facts of the French Riviera. Hopefully this is something that the hoho would provide.

Yes, it is a Saturday. RCL charge is $41 per. With regards to what in particular and the answer is just want to get view of the most interesting sights.. Wife has a bit of a mobility issue and the hoho would provide flexibility in getting off at certain spots. We did this in Cannes and it worked great with the provided head phones giving historical and interesting facts of the French Riviera. Hopefully this is something that the hoho would provide.

I am very sure the RCL tour is not hop on hop off. I've found no mention of headphones. What you have to realize is that with the hop on hop off, you run the risk of not being able to reboard in a timely fashion. Also, there is walking everywhere in old Boston, very often on uneven sidewalks and cobblestones. The Hoho cannot get through the narrow streets of the North End, so the expectation is that you would walk into the sites. Your wife would also have walking at the Constitution.

On the real Hoho one strategy that folks have used is to take the full tour and then decide if they want to return to see any particular spot up close.

A 2 hour nonstop tour would give you all the highlights and leave you at Faneuil Hall. The Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area is large, but lots of benches, so any walking could be at your own pace.

I am very sure the RCL tour is not hop on hop off. I've found no mention of headphones. What you have to realize is that with the hop on hop off, you run the risk of not being able to reboard in a timely fashion. Also, there is walking everywhere in old Boston, very often on uneven sidewalks and cobblestones. The Hoho cannot get through the narrow streets of the North End, so the expectation is that you would walk into the sites. Your wife would also have walking at the Constitution.

On the real Hoho one strategy that folks have used is to take the full tour and then decide if they want to return to see any particular spot up close.

A 2 hour nonstop tour would give you all the highlights and leave you at Faneuil Hall. The Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area is large, but lots of benches, so any walking could be at your own pace.

Carol, here's further description from RCL tours. They talking about a like a train.

Dear Guy,

Thank you for contacting the Shore Excursion Inquiry Desk.

Hope you are having a good day.

This is correct a Trolley is like a Hop on hop off bus but in the form of a train and has different stops where you can get down and catch it at another stop.

At the beginning of this tour you will be provided with a map that will show all the stops so you can make your own tour.

Thank you. We hope you find this information useful. If you have any other question or request, please let us know.

Regards,

Karla Rodriguez

Shore Excursions Inquiry Team | Global Tour Operations | Royal Caribbean International | Celebrity Cruises | Azamara Club Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132 | Fax: 305-539-4131 | Email: shorex@rccl.com

That's quite odd. There are no "train" like transports in Boston other than the subway and commuter trains. Even the "Silver Line train" is a bus.

I think she's just referring to the look of the vehicle which if you squint enough looks a little bit like an old fashioned train car. But just a little bit. I mean, it's not a double decker like many HOHOs, but does this look like a train to you?

http://summeronthewaterfront.org/sites/custom.oe.8.tbha.org/files/styles/large/public/beantown-trolley-tour-boston-united-states1152_12749122322-tpfil02aw-32322.jpg?itok=jy2qBH6A

That's quite odd. There are no "train" like transports in Boston other than the subway and commuter trains. Even the "Silver Line train" is a bus.

I think she's just referring to the look of the vehicle which if you squint enough looks a little bit like an old fashioned train car. But just a little bit. I mean, it's not a double decker like many HOHOs, but does this look like a train to you?

http://summeronthewaterfront.org/sites/custom.oe.8.tbha.org/files/styles/large/public/beantown-trolley-tour-boston-united-states1152_12749122322-tpfil02aw-32322.jpg?itok=jy2qBH6A

No and it looks like any trolley, except that it is bus. Confusing and typical of RCL. Maybe I'll wait to book on board and get a better and cleaner explanation.

Thanks for your help.

Carol. I am bookmarking this and am going to try and get it onto my Visit a City guide. We will be there on a Wednesday on the Adventure Snowbird Migration Cruise next October, so I am sure traffic will be a consideration. We will take Uber where appropriate.

There is a water taxi from cruise port to Rowe’s wharf by http://www.roweswharfwatertransport.com/

When we were in Boston, the water taxi was unavailable from the cruise port so we took a normal taxi into town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took the water taxi last week and it was not a success, sadly. They staff were terrific. However if you have luggage note that it's a long walk (7 to 10 minutes) from the terminal. Then we had to stumble down a very steep metal ramp to get to the water taxi ship, then up a steep ramp into the Rowe's Wharf luggage storage space. To get to the airport another down ramp and up another ramp and then the bus to the terminal. We were sore and exhausted by the time we got to Rowe's so we took a Lyft taxi to Logan from there. Would not try to do this again.