Nynashamn for the sake of Nynashamn

We are doing a cruise of the Baltic in August on NCL - we are going to Stockholm - docking in Nynashamn. Like many we are disappointed, not because we aren't going to dock in Stockholm, but because we are not going to sail through the archipeligo. Neither my husband or I are big tour people - our experience with tours is crowded, overwhelming and rushed. So we research the ports and when ever possible we get off the ship and go it on our own.

As I was researching the transportation from Nynashamn to Stockholm I can upon the website:

http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home.4.787ba9a21361e2e3bfa800017598.html

In our experience when ships dock a distance away from the "Port" it is in a commercial area where the view from the ship is of shipping container and cranes. Imagine my suprise to find a small community that apprears to be trying to make the best of having large cruise ships at its waterfront. The ocean walk was put in to make it easier for large ships to dock for Stockholm. Nynashamn is trying to make those ships, and their passengers, feel welcome, They have restaurants, cafes, shuttles.... a museum. You can even get a small tour boat to take you through the southern archipeligo. There is even a shuttle to a beach on the Baltic Sea.

I am looking forward to going to Sweden - We are going to do it in Nynashamn - because in the end, for us, our vacation is not just about the destination but about the welcome

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned, and also docked in Nynashamn. No matter whether you take train or bus, they both have their problems. NCL "Guest Services" only made the problem worse. We booked 391 days before the cruise, when Stockholm/Archipelago was still advertised. We received email about port change about 120 days before cruise, and that NCL would pay for the transfer to Stockholm. On board, we were not given the free transfer, and "Guest Services" argued with us that we had not booked before the port change. They immediately got snooty and combative about it just by nicely posing the question to them. They ultimately relented after forcing us to wait 30 minutes standing at the desk and never returning, however they gave us a single crappy option. They only had two bus transfers, both which would cut the port time short by 2 hours. You did not have an option to stay the full reasonable time in Stockholm.

The two shuttle options were 7:30-2:30, or 9:45-4:45. First, it is ridiculous that they cut the port times short if you take the shuttle. Then they said that the 9:45 shuttle was fully booked, so they could only give me the 4:45 return tickets, but not the 9:45 outbound. I still do not understand how that makes any sense at all. Wouldn't both legs be booked to the same capacity? They weren't selling them separately. Then they said that they couldn't give us the 7:30 outbound tickets because they were still selling them to other passengers. Ehh?!? So after they sold out, they could then give them to us? So they basically would only give us a return from Stockholm.

Nynashamn is a bad situation, and NCL seems determined to make it worse. We gave up on NCL and took the train. It was a much better option, but had its downsides as well which came close to making us miss the ship. However, we had a wonderful day in Stockholm, and everyone in our group felt it was the city which we would most like to return two for multiple days.

We recently docked in Nynashamn and having been to Stockholm previously we decided to stay in the local area. We found it a charming little place and had a nice time there. We found a lovely small craft ale brewery which had a tour in the afternoon and it was very much helped by wonderful weather.

We thought Nynashamn was the most beautiful port on our Baltic cruise as far as the landscape. It reminded us just a little bit of Alaska (Sitka minus the mountains). My sister wanted to stay there but ended up going into Stockholm with me. We were hoping to explore Nynashamn afterwards but there was not enough time.

Have fun! :)