Moody Blues cruise

DeMar

Dole, You make a good point about sitting so close in the assigned VIP seats. The volume was just too loud. I want to postpone having to have hearing aids as long as possible! :-) I don't even like to sit in the very front rows for a theater performance as I don't like looking up all the time and not being able to see the whole set. Mid theater seems much better.

My problem with RCCL has mainly been it's food. When Carnival's oldest ship has better food than RCCL, there is a problem! At least the RCCL Mariner of the Seas for the '19 On the Blues Cruise will have been refurbished and they say it will allow for more indoor event space rather than having to cancel due to rain and wind.

Mom, As you can see, I did begin my first post with stating that we absolutely loved our 2018 MB cruise before listing the various hiccups. There were six of us, the remaining members of my husband's high school rock and roll band and their wives. The guys still play together occasionally. High school reunions and such. So regardless of long lines for venues and the quality of the food not being up to Celebrity's usual, we had a great time! Didn't try the cafe/grill after 10 so can't say. I did like that they served an British sort of "high tea" in the cafe in the afternoon.

So did you encounter any problem getting the cabin of your choice when you booked yesterday? I'd be interested in knowing how soon they "sell out." Unless we can't get three rooms somewhat close together on another music cruise we hope to book tomorrow, we don't plan on going on the On the Blues Cruise in '19.

Mom,

As you can see above, we booked very early, suite and VIP. But we knew many who tried to book later who found that they could get a room, but not a guaranteed seat in the theatre. Now, that's just bad! They didn't go. Clearly, the theatre was too small on the Eclipse to accommodate 1/2 the passengers at 100% occupancy, even given the fact that they split the theatre concerts up half in half. I hope you enjoy your "Cruise to the Blue" and I hope you find that RCCL is a better line than it was 20 years ago when we gave up on it. A year or so ago, there was a music cruise with bands I would like to have seen and heard, but it was on Carnival so we just didn't go. There was no VIP or suite status for anybody on that cruise, and everybody had to stand in line for everything, so that was the end of that. At our age, we don't do that,

On the 2018 cruise., we did not try the buffet after 10:00 PM. Before that, like lunch, we thought it was pretty good.

Basically, we will no longer cruise on "mass market" lines without suite level accommodations. If we can't afford that, we just stay home in the Rocky Mountains, which we do most of the time. But on the RCCL "Cruise to the Blue" you are in for some good music and (if things haven't changed) a rather poor cruise line. Sorry to be "Debbie Downer" , But Sunshine doesn't like RCCL, and I hate it.

Dear Dolebludger,

I totally get why you feel the way you do! It's really terrible to be selling cabins when there's not even seats in the theater for people at the same prices!!! That's just greed. We go on Sixthman cruises and people are treated very well so its not like we don't know the difference. I am a hard core Moody Blues fan or I wouldn't put up with it and now I've become very attached to seeing friends who go on the cruise or I would have just said screw it by now. I have come close to doing that more than once in the past few days.

I'm hoping that the refurbished RCCL ship Mariner of the Seas is nicer now (hoping and wishing) of course. On the first few cruises the people who spent large sums of money for VIP didn't see many perks for their money, but on the last cruise they most definitely received superior seating and dining to the regular cruisers in addition to the swag (tshirts, bags, etc.) which as well they should. I have tried to keep a lid on my feelings about it because I don't want anyone to feel bad, but at the very least, regular cruisers should have at least had decent pizza at the buffet after the late music performances! That should have been a minimum! I have never seen most of the buffet shut down so early before on any other cruise in my life and I've been on quite a few. The most crushing thing was the cancelled Zombies concert though, even though no one could help that it was rained out, the Eclipse was a terrible ship for a music cruise. The long lines and seemingly lack of music venues made it a very frustrating experience. Interestingly enough I've heard glowing descriptions from people who went VIP Gold on the same cruise though! So apparently its just sour grapes for me. It was really depressing at the end with all the rain, needless to say the passing of Ray Thomas and Jim Rodford. I still hold hope that the Moody Blues have NOT stopped touring forever but that seems very uncertain.

Anyway, I don't blame you one little bit for expecting a higher standard from theme cruises. They are charging alot of money and it wouldn't be the first time the artists and the fans have been exploited by big business!!!