Mediterranea from Dover 22/5/18, to Hamburg and back

alicat58

Hi

Tenpin I wish there were more options from Dover but without many sea days. It was so much less stressful than flying somewhere. We are going to fly to Milan when we go on the Magica. Our last flight to Milan was delayed and we were going on the Costa transfer. Fortunately they waited for us because hubby texted them. I was a nervous wreck. Yet we are doing it again. I hope you have a lovely cruise.

Caryl, there were mainly English speakers in Amsterdam. I agree probably all hens and stags.

With our booking the only other name is that of future SinL and the two of us have been booked in the same cabin. The only problem with the MDR will be the fixed dining times. Not so keen on the early or the late. We'll see when we get there.

Riana

Loved the review. We just returned from the Costa Mediterranea I guess a couple cruises after you to many of the same ports. We really wanted to love Costa due to prices and itineraries which are varied for Europe. However Costa communication and organization were poor, which for us limited time in ports and threw our pre-planning off more than once and ended up costing us additional money. Also included food and drink options/times were very limited, so this will likely be out last Costa cruise. I love the pictures of Bruges, which was our favorite port as well.

Thank you LMHC. I have nothing to compare because we have only ever sailed with Costa as you can see.

We rarely use their excursions. You spend too much time travelling and then seeing very little before you are travelling again. Sorry to hear that you port plans were affected by their bad organisation. I disagree with you about short port stays though. The only short on on our cruise was Bremerhaven. The others were all full (and long days). I tend to look out for the long days when I book with them.

You are right about food options. They do not have all the speciality restaurants that other lines have. I guess a little like it was in the "olden" days. You have the MDR of buffet and that's it. Once again we are not too fussed about this. We usually try and find a good restaurant in port for lunch. I know it is an extra but then the ships with speciality restaurants also charge. I looked at the prices on Celebrity and thought very expensive and the photos people post did not really do justice to those prices as far as I am concerned.

As I always say, maybe one day I will be able to drag hubby away from Costa but with the perks we now get it is going to be difficult. It will have to be for very special itineraries.

Rian

Wansbrough, I have updated from a Samsung S6 edge to a Samsung S9+. It is much larger than the previous phone but I chose it because it is supposed to have a good camera. The photos look really good on my large PC screen.

Riana

By pure coincidence my S6 has just died mid cruise so am in the market for a new phone.

I use Google Keep to keep notes and it is always up to date on both my Nexus tablet and phone. I have had to make do with just WiFi and my tablet this time. [emoji53]

I too have seen good reviews about the S9 so it looks like a perfect replacement. I don't think I will go for the S9+ though, just too big for me.

Thanks for the info. [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi Wansbrough

I used to have Nexus phones and then changed to the S6 edge. The battery became an issue after 2 years. Sometimes it did not last for a morning with no use at all. I had to carry a recharging brick with me on holidays.

The S9+ is quite big and a bit heavier than hubbies S8+. I have small hands but got used to it very quickly. I only wanted the + because it is supposed to have a better camera than the straight S9. I have a case for it when we are on holiday. It makes it more bulky but it is easier to hold to take photos. I did the same for the S6. I find them vert slippery and I always worry I am going to drop it.

It is a really nice phone with a big screen and great camera.

Riana

Riana,

You were kind enough to respond to an inquiry I made earlier this year about the Costa beverage packages and I'd like to ask a few follow-up questions, with the hope that I'm not "wearing out my welcome". We will be sailing on Mediterranea next month; it will be our first Costa cruise, and although we've sailed on other lines over the years, we know each line is different. Thanks in advance for whatever information you can provide.

1. Since we are coming from the United States, are US electrical outlets available in the suites (we are in GS 7200)? Or will we need a converter for any hairdryers, etc., we bring with us?

2. Do the suites provide complimentary binoculars or umbrellas for use while on board?

3. Is there a place on board to exchange Euro banknotes for Euro coins?

4. I think I've read that Mediterranea sets aside a portion of the main dining room for suite guests. Is that right, or is there a separate dining room?

5. What is the charge for laundry / dry cleaning?

I very much appreciate whatever advice you can provide. We are really looking forward to this cruise and itinerary!

Sally

Hi Sally

Glad to help if I can.

1) Hubby says they are all standard European outlets. You'l need a converter. Not very many outlets in the cabins. I have not been in a suite on the Mediterranea but we have been in suites and the outlets were the same. You will likely have more in the suite than the cabins. I don't bother with a hair dryer. There is one in the top drawer of the "dressing table". It is perfectly adequate unless you have very long hair or need lots of styling. You have to keep the button down to keep it going but it has a variety of settings and is better than those on the wall contraptions you get in some hotels and it is set at a mirror.

2) I have never seen complementary binoculars when we were in suites. I think there were umbrellas. If I remember correctly large golf types. We have a special large one that is travel size and fits in the side pocket of hubbies camera ruck sack.

3)There is no money exchange on the ships. None that I have been on. Suggest you buy a bottle of water in a shop and get coins that way. Word of warning, Money exchange often give €50 notes. You'll find it very hard breaking these for change in the small shops.

4) If you are in a suite you will be in the club restaurant which is on deck 10 I think. It is above the buffet. It is quite a nice spot with lots of windows. The only thing that bothered me was the walk way around and people peering in. A bit off putting. The servers were lovely.

5) Laundry per item is really expensive. There is usually an option for a bag of laundry-can't remember whether there is a limit on the items. They charge €19.99 for that. We have only used it once. It was a very long time ago and it was only wash and fold. Not pressed/ironed. Not sure whether that has changed. Maybe Tenpin or Caryl can help.

We have not sailed with anyone but Costa as you can see so I do not have anything to compare to. We love cruising and we are mostly happy with the product. I think its a bit more like cruising in the old days. No climbing walls, dodgems, whatever that rope thing is(won't see me dead that high up anyway), wave riders etc. The animation team will be predominantly non-English speakers so trivia time is a hoot because you won't understand the questions anyway let alone know the answers. The deck games are a little silly but if you enjoy people making fools of themselves(why do they do that) it will be fun to watch. They also do silly Mr.Costa but not the hairiest chest and the list goes on. No enrichment talks to speak of but I have said in the past I don't cruise to be enriched. The general staff are really fantastic and most of them speak good English. They work very hard. The officers can be a little uppity and full of themselves. The hospitality desk can be a real struggle but on occasion you will actually find someone there that is great. There are loads of bars with entertainment on the ship it is a case of looking in the Diario di Bordo(delivered to your cabin every evening lateish) to see the times and who will be performing.

If you have any other questions I can answer don't hesitate to ask. If I can help I will. I hope you have a great cruise. We are off to Prague for a City break in just over 3 weeks. I have a birthday with a zero in to celebrate. Can't wait but we are cruising again end of September as well.

Riana

Thanks, Riana. This is very helpful. We've cruised on Royal Caribbean (now too big! and too many kids), Princess, and Holland America (our favorite for the reasons you cite -- no huge "bells and whistles", just a nice, simple, relaxing cruise to some nice ports). We're looking forward to trying Costa, which of course is a sister line to both Princess and Holland America.

Enjoy Prague -- it is definitely on my bucket list. And I long for the days when I still had a 0 in my birth date. :) We'll let you know if any additional questions come to mind. I hope to do a cruise review upon return -- I enjoyed reading yours so much and realize how valuable cruise review are to other cruisers!

Sally