Experiences with Economy Plus/Comfort Plus/Premium Economy from East Coast to HNL

pdcsgirl

Unless things have changed I was warned by experienced travelers not to stay right at JFK airport. Supposedly they use most of the airport hotels for women and children in need of shelter from bad home situations and although I applaud this there is definitely a "run down motel" feel to them. Again this was when I was trying to decide between LGA and JFK airport hotels and was mentioned by numerous people. Just check it out to be sure.

Good to know, although I was thinking of trying the new one right in the airport.

We flew Hawaiian Airlines non stop from JFK and booked the Extra Comfort seats. It was great. Lots of leg room and ‘seat room’. We also booked bulkhead seats because my friend has some mobility issues. Pillow and blanket included. The flight out leaves about 10:15 AM and arrives about 3:00 PM HST. (Hawaii is 5 hours behind in the winter and 6 hours begind during Daylight Savings time.). The return is a red eye leaving about 2:30 and arriving about 7:00 AM. We would definitely do this again.

• 1 month later...

Hawaiian would be my first choice.

I've been flying out to Hawaii 1-4 times per year for over 30 years between the Carolinas and Honolulu. My favorite routing by carrier: American - 1 stop in Phoenix, United - 1 stop in Houston.

You have good direct non-stop flight options. I prefer non-stop.

The extra 2 inches or so in comfort/economy plus seem to make a big difference on these 11-13 hour flights. If affordable, it's worth it.

• 1 month later...
We just got home from Hawaii and flew on American with Premium Economy seats, these are much better than delta comfort plus and other economy seats with extra leg room. Unfortunately, yes airlines can change aircraft on long haul flights, on our return flight AA changed to a different configuration and there were no premium economy seats, so we got stuck in an economy seat. We were not at all pleased about this. But the seats were fine, about the same as a first class seat on a domestic flight. They are much more comfortable for a long haul flight than econmony or economy with extra leg room. American Premium Economy seats do have foot rests that fold down form the seat in front of you, the bulk head seat may not have them. If you look at the pictures on the AA website it shows a foot rest like a recliner, they are not like that at all.

We flew from Florida thru DFW and landed in HNL about 2:30... at the hotel before 4:00.

What airport out of S. Florida? We are planning a cruise to Hawaii and we will be leaving from either WPB or Ft. Laud as we are visiting family first..we thought of flying American thru DFW on points with Capital One and Premium Economy..NO Miami!! I am still waiting to see what Southwest comes up with for their new flights to Hawaii from the West coast..thanks!!

Big Al

Opinions: My wife & I will be going on the NCL POA for our 25th anniversary..we will be staying in South Florida visiting my brother when we leave. NO Miami please, only WPB or FTL airports... I will be using my Capital One points and would love to fly Premium Economy all the way, if not some of the way. I am considering ( only considering..) Jet Blue's "Even More Room" section up front which is not bad from FTL to LAX, then maybe Hawaiian Air or American to Honolulu...same on return flight...I PREFER Boeing 777's or Airbus 330's to Boeing 767's ( like on Delta), and NO 737's or 757'S from LAX- HON..I know Jet Blue flies ( I think ) Airbus 320-321's, but that's OK...would LOVE a wide body the whole way.. I also don't mind going thru Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc., but I would like one stop only to Honolulu..suggestions & thoughts would be great!!!

Big Al