Just back Millenium 2 week Aisa Imersion Tour

ronbetty2001

Capt Ron...noted that you went to Siem Reap post cruise....we will be doing that on our next trip (also going to Chiang Mai). Where did you stay, did you do any tours or just hire a driver for Angor Wat....any tips/recommendations?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I read that the ship will get visas for you onboard to visit Vietnam but if we are planning to do an overnight in Bangkok, Thailand is a visa required and does the ship provide this at a cost for you also?

I read that the ship will get visas for you onboard to visit Vietnam but if we are planning to do an overnight in Bangkok, Thailand is a visa required and does the ship provide this at a cost for you also?

I know Aussies don't need a visa and I am fairly confident that most Foreigners are granted a free 30 day stay on arrival.

TO be sure, ask the question on Trip Advisor Thailand forum and include your nationality.

• 1 month later...
Aloha Capt. Ron,

You posted in reply to ep1987 question, "Also not asia board related but did any of the food onboard stand out as being either really good or pretty poor?"

Capt. Ron response, "Not really, food was Okay in MDR, had better on other Celebrity ships. Veggies cold twice for wife in MDR. Lobster one night without extra cost. They have added extra cost food items to order from the MDR menu which was new to us. Lobster, prime steak etc."

We are going on 8 day Celebrity Millenium in April 2017. We've sailed on Princess twice & RCCL once before. The food on our Princess cruises was very good. RCCL, not so good.

Please, could you expand on your experience of the food on the Millenium.

We've looked at the limited information provided on the Celebrity page for this cruise and it is very limited. We've read other reviews on CC that the food on the Millenium was not very good and that the staff keeps trying to upsell meals in the MDR and the pay restaurant packages. We've also read that people that have purchased the pay restaurant packages were dissatisfied with the wait to get into the pay restaurants & the quality of the food served there. :( :mad:

We've also read that there is very little variation in the buffet food & drink items (kind of like our experience with RCCL) and insufficient seating for the number of passengers trying to use the restaurant. :(

I look forward to your reply.

Aloha, rak :D

We just returned from Japan on Celebrity Millenium and food was mediocre at best. We did buy specialty restaurant package thinking it would be better but not so much. I have been on other Celebrity ships and never complained about food but for some reason this ship is not good. Don’t bother with specialty restaurants. The martini bar is great

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Captain Ron ,

I know it is a while ago now but I have a couple of questions regarding port fees and visas .We are travelling in January next year .

We are travelling with Indochina Junk on a day cruise - my contact there has told me that there are additional port fees that we will have to pay in Bai Chay port - of up to 35 USD per person and that is not included in our tour price. Do you remember paying these fees , does that apply in all ports ? I haven't found any additional information on line yet so any insights you can provide would be great .

For Bangkok our boat departs at 15.00 - I am planning on organised a private transfer - based on your traffic experience what time would you plan on leaving Bangkok to get back to the boat on time ?

For Visa's - does the boat get a multiple entry visa for you for Vietnam ? As UK passport holders we don't need visas for single entry but we do for multiple entry but I am not sure if a day tour classifies as an entry or not ? Sometimes there are special arrangements for cruise boats . Do you have any extra information on that ?

Thanks in advance , I hope you can still remember .

Best Regards

Judi

Hi Captain Ron ,

I know it is a while ago now but I have a couple of questions regarding port fees and visas .We are travelling in January next year .

We are travelling with Indochina Junk on a day cruise - my contact there has told me that there are additional port fees that we will have to pay in Bai Chay port - of up to 35 USD per person and that is not included in our tour price. Do you remember paying these fees , does that apply in all ports ? I haven't found any additional information on line yet so any insights you can provide would be great .

For Bangkok our boat departs at 15.00 - I am planning on organised a private transfer - based on your traffic experience what time would you plan on leaving Bangkok to get back to the boat on time ?

For Visa's - does the boat get a multiple entry visa for you for Vietnam ? As UK passport holders we don't need visas for single entry but we do for multiple entry but I am not sure if a day tour classifies as an entry or not ? Sometimes there are special arrangements for cruise boats . Do you have any extra information on that ?

Thanks in advance , I hope you can still remember .

Best Regards

Judi

In December, Azamara got Vietnam "visas" for all cruise ship passengers for US$6 (for three ports of call). However, if you wanted to stay off the ship overnight, you were required to get a proper visa. Are you planning on staying on the junk over night?

I haven't heard of additional port fees for a day junk trip, so suggest you enquire further with Indochina Junk. I do know passengers on one privately arranged day junk trip were requested to pay taxi fare from port of arrival to port of departure of junk. In the end, our ship disembarked passengers on the port to the right of the big bridge (not Bai Chay port as originally advised).

Bangkok - I would allow plenty of time for traffic. I would leave at noon for 2 pm back on board, for 3 pm departure.

Not to my knowledge. I am Australian.

In December, Azamara got Vietnam "visas" for all cruise ship passengers for US$6 (for three ports of call). However, if you wanted to stay off the ship overnight, you were required to get a proper visa. Are you planning on staying on the junk over night?

I haven't heard of additional port fees for a day junk trip, so suggest you enquire further with Indochina Junk. I do know passengers on one privately arranged day junk trip were requested to pay taxi fare from port of arrival to port of departure of junk. In the end, our ship disembarked passengers on the port to the right of the big bridge (not Bai Chay port as originally advised).

Bangkok - I would allow plenty of time for traffic. I would leave at noon for 2 pm back on board, for 3 pm departure.

Thanks Ron , Transfer time ties in with what the company are saying too . So I 'll get that booked.

I have emailed the ship ( HAL ) re the visa's it sounds like there are special arrangements for cruise boats so I think I 'll just let the ship handle it ( I think it is 65 USD for our 3 stops )

We are not staying overnight on the Junk - its a day tour with Indochina picking us up outside the port in a bus and from there to the boat . We' re paying 80 USD per head for the 8 hour cruise . It is my contact at Indochina that says we will need to pay this 35 USD per person which is not included in our tour fee but I can't find any info on line about it which seems strange and it seems like an awfully high amount . I have emailed her for more information and also HAL directly to see what they have to say .

Thanks for all your insights .

Judi

Started cruise in Hong Kong, then Vietnam (Hanoi, Da Nang, Saigon) then Bangkok ending in Singapore, 2 weeks. Willing to answer questions now that we've returned today. Ask away if you have any questions while it's still fresh is my mind. Also spent 5 nights in Seam Reap touring the area and Angkor Wat temples.

Capt. Ron

Capt. Ron,

Thank you so much starting this thread and for all of the information provided. Also, thank you to everyone else that has contributed.

The knowledge I have gained since discovering this thread has been invaluable and have been able to pass on several pieces of key information to members of our December 2018 Singapore - Hong Kong itinerary!

Thanks especially for the clarification on required Vietnam visas. Although I do not require one myself due to being a UK resident, there are obviously multiple nationalities on board.

Also, learning that Singapore and Hong Kong have free walking tours available is amazing to know!

Thanks again Ron, and everyone who has contributed. You have all given spot on information!

Thanks

Andy :):)