Cab/Wine/Bottled Water from Vancouver airport to cruise terminal

I believe the fare for a cab from the airport to cruise ship terminal is $35 CAD flat rate. Will the cabs allow you to stop along the way to purchase wine and bottled water?

Is there a store along the route that sells wine and bottled water by the case? Arriving Wednesday at 10am. Thank you in advance.

A single stop is permitted at an extra $5 charge (but time limited to 10 minutes, $1 per minute extra). Booze is only sold through the provincial liquor stores and a limited set of private liquor stores (even wine and beer), none of which are big on selling water by the case that I can think of.

You would likely find it easier all around to just stop for water - which is heavy - but then after dropping your suitcases and water at the pier, simply walk to the nearest BC Liquor store - a touch over 400 yards - to pick up your wine, which needs to be taken through as carry on anyway.

Depending on the route the cabbie takes - fixed rate means they'll most definitely use whichever street is fastest as there's no extra cash in it for them to dilly-dally! - you will pass one or more major super markets (Save On Foods, Safeway, IGA, Nester's Market, Buy Low, No Frills, Whole Foods are most of the bigger ones) so simply ask him to stop at whichever major supermarket he is going to pass.

Alternatively you could split up - one person go grab wine, another water, at the same stop. e.g the BC LIquor Store at 2935 Cambie Street is right across the street from Save On and a block up on the same side to Whole Foods. The problem with this is that under the fixed zone fare rules you cannot demand the cabbie take a particular route... so they may refuse if they know that there is construction on Cambie, and give you the choice of a metered fare or not stopping there.

Vancouver Airport has a private liquor store on level 1 Domestic Terminal and a 711 store is there. FREE luggage carts if you wish to do it at YVR.

Also, hair salon, dry cleaner, a drug store, Dr, office [ for walk in tourists too] and a Dentist, all on the same level.

There is a Dollar Store across from Waterfront Station by the cruise Pier and a Gov. Liquor Store too.

I believe the fare for a cab from the airport to cruise ship terminal is $35 CAD flat rate. Will the cabs allow you to stop along the way to purchase wine and bottled water?

Is there a store along the route that sells wine and bottled water by the case? Arriving Wednesday at 10am. Thank you in advance.

If you are coming in from the United States or overseas you can also buy wine in the duty free store of the airport where you are connecting onto your Canadian bound flight.

Most US airports do not have a separate concourse for international flights. What they do instead is seal the bag with alcohol in the duty free store and then they have it waiting for you at the gate as you walk on onto the flight. If you flying from the US into another Canadian airport such as Toronto, then connecting to Vancouver ask the duty free store to place it in a bag with a special seal to go through security again. The allowance is 1.5 L per person for wine.

If you are connecting in Calgary domestically there is also a wine store on the domestic concourse used by Air Canada.

The wine store on level 1 just below domestic arrivals is also a good option.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question for others .... Cab is $35 CAD flat rate from YVR to cruise terminal, they charge $5 CAD for one stop. Note: it is not flat rate back from cruise terminal to YVR but it actually came to $33 CAD metered so basically the same.

If you want bottled water and wine ask the cab driver to stop at BC Liquor Store at 1525 W 70th Ave, Vancouver, BC V6P 5A1, Canada. At the same location is a Safeway grocery store 8475 Granville St., Vancouver, British Columbia.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/YVR+-+Vancouver+Intl+Airport,+Grant+McConachie+Way,+Richmond,+BC,+Canada/BC+Liquor+Stores,+1525+W+70th+Ave,+Vancouver,+BC+V6P+5A1,+Canada/@49.199604,-123.1821596,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x54860b348627a39b:0xba68ccac86348084!2m2!1d-123.1815123!2d49.1966913!1m5!1m1!1s0x548674eb357d6215:0x45a9d774f874561!2m2!1d-123.1416119!2d49.2087793

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/8475+Granville+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6P+4Z9,+Canada/BC+Liquor+Stores,+1525+W+70th+Ave,+Vancouver,+BC+V6P+5A1,+Canada/@49.2089989,-123.1432844,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486749498845e59:0x574cee5b12e41931!2m2!1d-123.1410799!2d49.2094569!1m5!1m1!1s0x548674eb357d6215:0x45a9d774f874561!2m2!1d-123.1416119!2d49.2087793

^Glad you found a single convenient stop for both.

NB: for others though, that pair of stores is after the biggest 'route choice' for the cabbie - with fixed rates you can no longer demand a specific route be taken, so if the cabbie knows Cambie is quicker than Granville that day you're hooped for visiting them as he'll have already peeled off onto Marine Drive to get to Cambie (Cambie route is about 200 yards longer, but since Granville is officially Highway 99 and the signposted route to the pier, North Shore, Whistler etc. every non-local without a GPS and even those without an active traffic service on their GPS will usually end up taking Granville - it displays as a highway even though it's a 30mph residential street like most of the rest of Vancouver - so it's often slower despite the slight distance saving).

This pairing is very efficient if the cabbies does decide to take Granville though, so for anyone else planning to do the same if you note both this one and the one I previously mentioned on Cambie you can ask the cabbie if they plan to take Granville or Cambie to the pier and ask for the appropriate stop.

• 3 weeks later...
A single stop is permitted at an extra $5 charge (but time limited to 10 minutes, $1 per minute extra). Booze is only sold through the provincial liquor stores and a limited set of private liquor stores (even wine and beer), none of which are big on selling water by the case that I can think of.

You would likely find it easier all around to just stop for water - which is heavy - but then after dropping your suitcases and water at the pier, simply walk to the nearest BC Liquor store - a touch over 400 yards - to pick up your wine, which needs to be taken through as carry on anyway.

Depending on the route the cabbie takes - fixed rate means they'll most definitely use whichever street is fastest as there's no extra cash in it for them to dilly-dally! - you will pass one or more major super markets (Save On Foods, Safeway, IGA, Nester's Market, Buy Low, No Frills, Whole Foods are most of the bigger ones) so simply ask him to stop at whichever major supermarket he is going to pass.

Alternatively you could split up - one person go grab wine, another water, at the same stop. e.g the BC LIquor Store at 2935 Cambie Street is right across the street from Save On and a block up on the same side to Whole Foods. The problem with this is that under the fixed zone fare rules you cannot demand the cabbie take a particular route... so they may refuse if they know that there is construction on Cambie, and give you the choice of a metered fare or not stopping there.

Please allow me to piggyback a bit since this thread is about alcohol in Vancouver. Martincath, I know you were such a great help to Anita Latte and I followed that trip report closely. You are a local, and I would like to ask for your help. We will have 24 hours in Vancouver post cruise NEXT August. We will be staying somewhere between the cruise port and the Amtrak Station - to be decided in next few weeks. :) Do you know if I can find Havana Club 7 Rum anywhere in Vancouver? We bought some in Cuba, and gave most away as gifts before we realized how good it was. It is not imported into USA due to embargo restrictions. We will eventually go on another cruise to Cuba, but not until after Alaska. Have you seen it anywhere? I would be happy to take taxi or uber to a shop. Thank you so much for any info you may provide - all of you on this Canada board are amazing.

Edited to add. I think I found it! What I needed was the name of BC liquor store. Found some at a shop on Robson that says 1.5km from Canada Place.

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

Please allow me to piggyback a bit since this thread is about alcohol in Vancouver. Martincath, I know you were such a great help to Anita Latte and I followed that trip report closely. You are a local, and I would like to ask for your help. We will have 24 hours in Vancouver post cruise NEXT August. We will be staying somewhere between the cruise port and the Amtrak Station - to be decided in next few weeks. :) Do you know if I can find Havana Club 7 Rum anywhere in Vancouver? We bought some in Cuba, and gave most away as gifts before we realized how good it was. It is not imported into USA due to embargo restrictions. We will eventually go on another cruise to Cuba, but not until after Alaska. Have you seen it anywhere? I would be happy to take taxi or uber to a shop. Thank you so much for any info you may provide - all of you on this Canada board are amazing.

Edited to add. I think I found it! What I needed was the name of BC liquor store. Found some at a shop on Robson that says 1.5km from Canada Place.

Havana Club is readily available here - in different ages including the 7yr that you want. The vast majority of all liquor stores stock the 7yr old Dark and the 3yr old White in BC - the US is about the only country that Havana Club is not a super-common product in, IIRC it's in the top 5 best-selling rum brands across the planet!

BC Liquor is our provincial network - they used to have a total monopoly, now there are some private stores too but since all importation is done through BCL and discounts for trade are low, they are still cheaper 99.9% of the time for products that are sold privately and in BCL stores. You'll no doubt find it in most private liquor stores too, priced 10% or more extra. There are several BCL stores around downtown - rather than go to one without stock, I suggest using the BCL website product page when you're in town.

Depending which hotel you're in you may have 2 or 3 walkable BCL stores. The BCL website displays the entire network of stores throughout the province by default, a very poor choice from a customer usefulness standpoint, and listed in order of how many bottles in stock - but it's easy enough to plug in your hotel address and choose how far from that you're willing to walk to cut down the list of options to sensible ones.

NB: prices do not include 15% tax, applied at checkout.

About 6 months ago, the LDB (BC Liquor Store) issued an RFP for an online ordering and delivery management system.

Assuming they don't fall behind scheduled by next summer you should be able to order ahead on line and have it held for you at the store.

As it is a software project, there is always the risk they are late.

About 6 months ago, the LDB (BC Liquor Store) issued an RFP for an online ordering and delivery management system.

Assuming they don't fall behind scheduled by next summer you should be able to order ahead on line and have it held for you at the store.

As it is a software project, there is always the risk they are late.

I may have skimmed that news release back in Feb too quickly, but I thought it was purely for non-medical Cannabis retail - and given the desired timeframe was THIS summer, the anticipated launch for legal cannabis sales at the time, they've got a bonus few months with the official date now being in October.

This is a thing I'd love to be wrong about, as being able to preorder booze would be a huge convenience to me;-)