Flights to Honolulu from New York

EeyoreFan1967

$800 for an 10 or so hour flight? Doesn't seem expensive to me. Curious what you think they should charge, and based on what? You might notice which way oil prices are going right now.

I am seeing $827 on many dates, EWR-HNL on United. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

There is limited competition for that route...only a couple of airlines serve it from the 3 airports in the NYC area, and as a non-stop, makes it very popular. Hawaii is always popular, and May starts into the summer season.

There is NO secret way to get cheaper fares. You just have to do the research, so you know what a lower fare is, buy, and don't look back.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Our favorite way of flying from the East Coast to Hawaii is to take a late flight out, spend the night near LAX, take an early flight to Honolulu and have sand between our toes by noon. Direct flights usually spend an entire day of vacation traveling. The fare and one night hotel can be less than the direct flights. Usually going back it is easy to leave Honolulu, make a connection, and arrive home the same day. If the direct fares from the East Coast for next May are now 8-$900 and you are set on a direct flight you know that if it goes down it may be time to buy. Last October a friend flew from Boston to Maui for $450. You just have to keep an eye on the fares and check both airline and travel websites. Good luck, Cherie

Assuming you mean your friend's flight BOS-OGG had a stop somewhere. Don't think any commercial planes could take off from Maui with enough fuel to go non-stop to BOS.

Working a connection in changes everything. You can probably get a Southwest flight to the West Coast cheap, then pick up standard West Coast to HNL flight.

NYC to HNL at that price is NOT expensive. It's not like you are flying to Buffalo or Toledo. You are flying to the most remote Islands in the world where you will actually be closer to New Zeland than you will be to NYC. Also, if you are able to fly nonstop TAKE IT. Yes, might get it a bit cheaper doing a west coast stop. But then figure in a night at a hotel, another trip through airport security, more airport waiting, increased chances your luggage ends up in Helsinki rather than Honolulu.

The lowest I’ve seen it is the occasional promo flights that Hawaiian Airlines (great experience flying them) runs on the JFK-HNL direct flight. I think the fare was around $650 round trip. The outbound flight takes off around 10am and lands around 4ish local. Return departs around 4:30pm and gets in around 7am back in New York. The flight over is a big mai tai fueled party and is fun. The direct back always leaves us a bit loopy for a few days because of the major time change.

Our favorite way of flying from the East Coast to Hawaii is to take a late flight out, spend the night near LAX, take an early flight to Honolulu and have sand between our toes by noon. Direct flights usually spend an entire day of vacation traveling. The fare and one night hotel can be less than the direct flights. Usually going back it is easy to leave Honolulu, make a connection, and arrive home the same day. If the direct fares from the East Coast for next May are now 8-$900 and you are set on a direct flight you know that if it goes down it may be time to buy. Last October a friend flew from Boston to Maui for $450. You just have to keep an eye on the fares and check both airline and travel websites. Good luck, Cherie

Thanks for this helpful suggestion about staying over and getting an early start from the West coast! This will be especially beneficial if/when Southwest starts offering routes from Oakland or San Diego!

The lowest I’ve seen it is the occasional promo flights that Hawaiian Airlines (great experience flying them) runs on the JFK-HNL direct flight. I think the fare was around $650 round trip. The outbound flight takes off around 10am and lands around 4ish local. Return departs around 4:30pm and gets in around 7am back in New York. The flight over is a big mai tai fueled party and is fun. The direct back always leaves us a bit loopy for a few days because of the major time change.

Yes thank you I found this flight, but for my dates is running around $877 round trip. In your experience does hawaiian air ever drop their fares? I'm still more than 10 months out.

Yes thank you I found this flight, but for my dates is running around $877 round trip. In your experience does hawaiian air ever drop their fares? I'm still more than 10 months out.

We fly several times per year between LAX & Maui and Hawaiian is usually our best option. We just flew there in May & the lowest price was $500. So costing another $377 from JFK seems to be a reasonable price & it’s doubtful if there would be a lower price. As posted, there’s not much competition for non-stop flights between JFK & HNL.

We enjoy Hawaiian’s service & wide-body A330 aircaft and would prefer a non-stop to staying in LA. I doubt if the total price would be better & having 2 departures with going through security & 2 arrivals with waiting for luggage isn’t as relaxing as a non-stop for me.

It’s possible- they do run promotions and you’re far enough out. I would venture to say that even if you got a $250 trip to the west coast, $100 hotel, meals, taxis, and then a $300-400 r/t to Hawaii you’re still going to be better off with the JFK nonstop and you save a day.

From what I know of direct flights to HNL from the NY area you have Hawaiian Airlines out of JFK and United out of EWR. I totally understand why some prefer a non-stop, our preference is just different. For the same amount of money I don't waste an entire vacation day on an airplane. If you should decide to fly to the west coast and then onto HNL you have many options for your flights from NY... SFO, OAK, LAX, and a few others. Hawaiian Airlines usually has specials on flights between certain destinations going so keep an eye on their website. Another reason Hawaiian is nice, from any of its cities, is that it offers a meal and a mai tai prior to landing in HNL. It really feels like you start your vacation when you board. Good luck, Cherie

If connecting on the West Coast the airfares from cities other than LAX are often less expensive. That’s particularly true for Hawaiian’s Bay Area flights which when it’s $500 from LAX they’re only $380 from Bay Area airports. Obviously more unsold seats up north than from LAX resulting in higher prices which continues to be my booking experiences.

Although that savings could be offset by a higher hotel rate in the Bay Area.

• 3 weeks later...

You have the opportunity to also take advantage. I pretty much never fly into HNL from NY as it's my least preferred island. I fly into Maui or Kona (just did this again, a couple weeks ago, from PHX to KOA), then for the cruise, simply get a cheap interisland flight. I never go for just the cruise time, always, add at least an additional 10 days. :)