Something I typed up for new cruisers

Mike981

I put this up on a Face Book group and thought it might help some here. Feel free to add anything.

Hi Kids!

I've seen a few folks who have posted as new cruisers, so I thought I would throw this out there. FYI a lot of this information goes for all travels.

As the great NFL QB Aaron Rodgers said (Go Pack GO), R-E-L-A-X. Seriously. Don't stress.

95% of of the information you receive from others is just opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. 
The other 5% is fact based answers you could honestly just Google to find. Don't get caught up in the 95%.

R-E-L-A-X

Take the time to know what documents you need to have with you and have a system on where to keep them so they are accessible at all times. NOT, your checked luggage. Set reminders on your phone for any time sensitive things you need to do, for example online check in for your flight - dealing with pets - light timers/house sitter...

R-E-L-A-X

On packing. Don't fall into the 'I might want to have this' trap. Your essentials will take a lot of room. I know it's easy to grab a lot of clothes and shoes and so on, because your on vacation. Unless on a cooler weather cruise/trip, you will most likely be in shorts or a swim suit for most of the day. Start a packing list and when you get home look at what you really wanted (or should have packed) and the stuff that was not needed and adjust your list.

R-E-L-A-X

Be smart with your excursions and getting back on the ship. People get stressed about this, understandably so. They are expensive and you don't want to miss the ship.
I personally book non ship excursions (usually much cheaper and less crowded). I always make sure that I do my due diligence on the company and schedule it so we are done and back to ship with plenty of time for any issues that might come up. How much is plenty of time? I try for 3-4 hours early. If not possible based on how long I am in port, I will just do a walking tour or maybe even stay on the ship.

R-E-L-A-X

You know those people who talk about their perfect vacations? Their secret? They didn't let any issues ruin their vacation. It takes effort to let things roll of your back, but it is so worth it. EVERYONE has some hiccups.
Have you ever read a travel review and the people hated their trip? When you read what they are complaining about, you think, 'my god how do you get through life?' My favorite is a woman who hated the Caribbean resort she went to because it rained every afternoon. Oh, and she went during hurricane season. :/
Like Elsa says, "let it go - let it go". And it helps you to...

R-E-L-A-X

Lastly, slow down and enjoy the experience. It's so easy to try to cram in as much as you can on vacation. Give yourself time to slow down and smell the salt air, do some wonderful people watching and think about how far removed you are from your normal day to day life. Oh, and if you can figure out how not to get a bit depressed on your last day, please share.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

I put this up on a Face Book group and thought it might help some here. Feel free to add anything.

Hi Kids!

I've seen a few folks who have posted as new cruisers, so I thought I would throw this out there. FYI a lot of this information goes for all travels.

As the great NFL QB Aaron Rodgers said (Go Pack GO), R-E-L-A-X. Seriously. Don't stress.

95% of of the information you receive from others is just opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. 
The other 5% is fact based answers you could honestly just Google to find. Don't get caught up in the 95%.

R-E-L-A-X

Take the time to know what documents you need to have with you and have a system on where to keep them so they are accessible at all times. NOT, your checked luggage. Set reminders on your phone for any time sensitive things you need to do, for example online check in for your flight - dealing with pets - light timers/house sitter...

R-E-L-A-X

On packing. Don't fall into the 'I might want to have this' trap. Your essentials will take a lot of room. I know it's easy to grab a lot of clothes and shoes and so on, because your on vacation. Unless on a cooler weather cruise/trip, you will most likely be in shorts or a swim suit for most of the day. Start a packing list and when you get home look at what you really wanted (or should have packed) and the stuff that was not needed and adjust your list.

R-E-L-A-X

Be smart with your excursions and getting back on the ship. People get stressed about this, understandably so. They are expensive and you don't want to miss the ship.
I personally book non ship excursions (usually much cheaper and less crowded). I always make sure that I do my due diligence on the company and schedule it so we are done and back to ship with plenty of time for any issues that might come up. How much is plenty of time? I try for 3-4 hours early. If not possible based on how long I am in port, I will just do a walking tour or maybe even stay on the ship.

R-E-L-A-X

You know those people who talk about their perfect vacations? Their secret? They didn't let any issues ruin their vacation. It takes effort to let things roll of your back, but it is so worth it. EVERYONE has some hiccups.
Have you ever read a travel review and the people hated their trip? When you read what they are complaining about, you think, 'my god how do you get through life?' My favorite is a woman who hated the Caribbean resort she went to because it rained every afternoon. Oh, and she went during hurricane season. :/

R-E-L-A-X

Lastly, slow down and enjoy the experience. It's so easy to try to cram in as much as you can on vacation. Give yourself time to slow down and smell the salt air, do some wonderful people watching and think about how far removed you are from your normal day to day life. Oh, and if you can figure out how not to get a bit depressed on your last day, please share.

Alternatively:

USE COMMON SENSE

One thing it took us several cruises to master:

DO NOT EXPECT (or try to achieve) PERFECTION. (Remember that "Perfection" is the enemy of excellence.}

Rather enjoy the experience and don't sweat the small stuff.

And as Mike says, R-E-L-A-X !

Also to add:

IF there is something wrong in the cabin (sewage smell, something broken, etc.) please let your steward know about it, or contact the Hotel Director. Don't wait until returning home to start complaining that your cruise was awful because the toilet didn't flush. Its easier to get things taken care of on board than writing a complaint letter to Headquarters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kids!

R-E-L-A-X

R-E-L-A-X

R-E-L-A-X

R-E-L-A-X

R-E-L-A-X

Meditate prior to boarding the cruise

• 2 weeks later...

The more I cruise the less concerned I am with what I wear. I follow dress codes/guidelines, but I don't buy special clothes anymore. I wear things that fit well and are comfortable and that I feel good in. I tend to pack basic that mix and match and that can be dressed up with jewelry and accessories. Unless you are really over- or under- dressed, no one will really notice what you are wearing

Ships have laundries and some self-service laundries, so don't over-pack with new outfits for every day. It is almost certain that you will never see any of your fellow passengers again so who cares what they think.

Count your first cruise as a preview, keep your eyes open for what is available, try all of the food possibilities in moderation, talk to your fellow passengers, and keep a record of what you learned.

Plan your next cruise with all of your new knowledge.

The more I cruise the less concerned I am with what I wear. I follow dress codes/guidelines, but I don't buy special clothes anymore. I wear things that fit well and are comfortable and that I feel good in. I tend to pack basic that mix and match and that can be dressed up with jewelry and accessories. Unless you are really over- or under- dressed, no one will really notice what you are wearing

I'll bring some clothes - tshirts, shorts, socks, sneakers - that I have no plan to bring home. Cuts down on the "stop hoarding old clothes" complaints. And lightens the luggage on the return.

And always go to the shows in the theater at night. I have had some of my best naps there.