Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

2. While off topic, my comment about awards and polls for one unnamed cruise line was misunderstood by a previous poster. It had nothing to do with not liking the results, etc. Rather, it had to do with a cruise line bribing passengers to vote in a particular poll (which has been verified to me by people that sail on that cruise line). I have no tolerance for dishonesty and that is what my comment was about and it makes me question just about every poll I see.

Travelcat, if you were sitting in anyone else's shoes, wouldn't you question your own posts based on your "closeness" with the Regent home office (which you regularly reference)? In addition you admittedly were comp'd on the recent NCL cruise. You certainly can be grouped with those that have been bribed, which shows through in many of your posts on this board. You absolutely are a wealth of Regent knowledge, but many times you seem to be Regents biggest cheerleader no matter the truthfulness in another posters negative feedback about the Regent line.

Travelcat, if you were sitting in anyone else's shoes, wouldn't you question your own posts based on your "closeness" with the Regent home office (which you regularly reference)? In addition you admittedly were comp'd on the recent NCL cruise. You certainly can be grouped with those that have been bribed, which shows through in many of your posts on this board. You absolutely are a wealth of Regent knowledge, but many times you seem to be Regents biggest cheerleader no matter the truthfulness in another posters negative feedback about the Regent line.

Good question and I have given it a lot of thought. The bottom line is that I am honest about what we experience - whether it be positive or negative. I was much more of a Regent cheerleader before I became "close" to a few people at Regent headquarters than I am now and have been quite outspoken about the policies that have been implemented in the past year or two that I am not in agreement with (outspoken on CC as well as to corporate).

In terms of "free" cruises, everyone on the christening cruise was invited. This is typical of christening cruises which in some cases are part of the shake-down cruises since the ship has yet to go into normal service. So, are they "bribing" TA's, guests and friends by inviting them on a christening cruise? Unlike the cruise line that I referenced earlier, no one at Regent is telling us what to say or even hinting that we show Regent in a positive light (we met some TA's on the NCL cruise that were definitely not going to give a good write-up).

I find NCLH top management to be honest and open. They likely cringe at some of the negative things that I say but they respect my right to say it. Sometimes when I speak up we end up agreeing to disagree. Most of the time when I see or speak with a friend at Regent we are discussing our families, trips (not necessarily cruising) - just as friends do. I'm sure that those of you that are friends with restaurant or business owners do not talk much about their restaurant or business.

BTW, the reason I am fairly knowledgeable about Regent is because I am interested. During every one of our 31 cruises, we spend time with officers and crew as we find their lives so diverse, their sacrifices many and the love of their families strong. They also speak about their contracts on different Regent ships, what they like or dislike about each ship, etc.

Bottom line is that it is okay if people have pre-conceived notions about why or what I post. I get a lot of gratification from meeting people on board and learning how things they they read on CC helped them (and sometimes saved them money). Most people have hobbies and Regent/CC is mine. The more I can learn and share the better. As long as I am being honest with myself and others and continue to sail on Regent, I will continue to share on CC.

fizzy - obviously you are not caught up with my posts about the class system. To be brief, the beauty of luxury cruising is the lack of a class system. However, when you are on a non-luxury cruise ship it is to be expected. Further, I'm trying to answer a frequent question on another board ....... can you have a luxury experience in the "luxury" section of a mainstream or premium cruise line.

Not to worry. No coaching needed, I so totally get it.

Try again.

You apparently edited your post after I commented on the blank post. This thread will end when it ends..... it not within anyone's control (other than the hosts of CC). We all have the option of not reading a thread if it is not of interest to us. Not sure what you mean by "know it all" comments. It is a fact that some posters have sailed on Regent more than others and therefore have a different perspective. CC welcomes all comments - as long as they are related to cruising (and are not making personal comments about posters).

Paul, really appreciated your "take" on Regent, Viking Ocean, Celebrity, etc. As you may or may not know, we are playing with other cruise lines ... just for fun. We have tried a mainstream cruise line and will try a premium cruise line in September and another luxury line next year while still sailing on our favorite cruise line ... Regent:D

I understand what you posted about Regent and know that it isn't for everyone. It just works for us and may work for the TS. Alternatively, they may find Viking Ocean more to their taste. However when it comes to comparing non luxury cruise lines with Regent, it would be easier to share what is the same on Regent and Viking Ocean rather than what is different as it is a shorter list.

Really good to see you on the Regent board!

Hey Jackie!

Am excited to hear about the your explorations on other lines. Fingers crossed you guys will have a great time!

Re similarities between Viking and Regent, both are clearly a high end experience. Great service, great food, delicious specialty restaurants. A shared negative for both: the included excursions are pretty much average. One last plus for Viking: the spa area is breathtaking...a huge indoor pool with a simulated fireplace and multiple jacuzzis, multiple steam rooms and such, as well as an ice room! Quite fun.

For what it’s worth, though not particularly appropriate for this board, we’ve also done a Viking River Cruise. We didn’t like it, but it was more the river cruise experience, though the quality level of food and service was lower.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey Jackie!

Am excited to hear about the your explorations on other lines. Fingers crossed you guys will have a great time!

Re similarities between Viking and Regent, both are clearly a high end experience. Great service, great food, delicious specialty restaurants. A shared negative for both: the included excursions are pretty much average. One last plus for Viking: the spa area is breathtaking...a huge indoor pool with a simulated fireplace and multiple jacuzzis, multiple steam rooms and such, as well as an ice room! Quite fun.

For what it’s worth, though not particularly appropriate for this board, we’ve also done a Viking River Cruise. We didn’t like it, but it was more the river cruise experience, though the quality level of food and service was lower.

Think that I'd love the ice room given my love for the cold. I've learned recently to never say never. Who knows, we could end up on Viking Ocean one day just for fun.

Check out the Luxury board the first week of September and follow our experience on a cruise line that you have tried

Think that I'd love the ice room given my love for the cold. I've learned recently to never say never. Who knows, we could end up on Viking Ocean one day just for fun.

Check out the Luxury board the first week of September and follow our experience on a cruise line that you have tried

Will do! :)