has anyone done a Scenic River cruise?

zebs

Hi zebs. This is the review I wrote after our Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise on the Jade. It took me quite some time to track it down so I figured it was just as easy to post it rather then have you search for it.

Enjoy

Scenic exceeded our already high expectations!

Scenic Jade Cruise Review by isnowman

Trip Details

This was our first river cruise and we chose Scenic because it was all-inclusive, and because it had come highly recommended by friends. Everything Scenic did was seamless! They met us at the airport, took us to our hotel, then the next day picked us up and took us to the ship. As we waited for our cabins to be readied, we had our first impression...friendly welcoming crew and a beautiful, comfortable ship. From there, it only got better. Our cruise director, Werney told me that Scenic strived to do more than what you'd expect, and they did. I have an allergy to cow dairy products and he sent me to see Natalia, the maitre d'. She suggested that she would find me in the dining room every morning with a copy of the menu for the day's lunch and dinner. I would select what I hoped to have, and she would see if the chef could prepare it by substituting other products. She also sent staff out on bikes while in port to purchase goat milk for me, and even had the pastry chef prepare a few decadent desserts for me! As a result of her diligence, I had not one bad moment caused by this issue. Another passenger who was a vegetarian commented to Werney that she was sorry she couldn't have a bratwurst in Germany and he took it upon himself to go into port on a bike and purchased 3 types of vegetarian brats for her. The food was always well presented and delicious and there was plenty of good wine available at no extra cost. The wait staff in the dining room and lounge were lots of fun and again, nothing was too much trouble. All the staff worked very hard and had a lot of pride in their work and it shone!

Whenever we were returning from an excursion, whether we were the only ship or we had to go through other ships to get to ours, Werney or one of the senior officers was outside to greet us and welcome us back "home", something I didn't see with the other ships.

Werney also arranged for interested passengers to get tickets to a sold out Lipizzaner Stallion show in Vienna, and made sure a guide was arranged to ensure we got there. In all ports, the guides were exceptional. We had excellent excursions, and the extras added to the experience (dinner in a medieval castle, a classical concert in a palace, and a piano recital in a very surprising school). The on board entertainment was unique and, at 45 mins, a good length of time. We were offered the chance to do a 35 km bike ride between ports (fortunately e-bikes!) which we appreciated since it was something we would not otherwise get a chance to do. My suggestion here would be to make it more of an all day event with stops to look around, have lunch and take pictures and less like a 3 hour race!

Our cabin was very comfortable and had a very nice spacious shower. We loved having the ability to have our balcony window open, closed or anything in between. We were fortunate to have sun all but one day, but being Sept/Oct it was sometimes too cool or windy to be out on the sundeck so it was nice to be able to sit on the balcony with the window open but protected from the wind.

We will certainly vacation with Scenic again, and have recommended it highly to our friends!

isnowman’s Full Rating Summary

Enrichment Activities

Value For Money

Embarkation

Dining

Public Rooms

Entertainment

Cabin

Fitness & Recreation

Shore Excursions

Service

Onboard Experience

Cabin Review

Cabin 215

Adequate in size; had all the amenities we could need including popular walking poles. Was kept immaculately clean and anything removed from the bar fridge (or the wafers or Pringles snacks) were replaced daily. Loved the top-down full window on the balcony that we could open to any extent. Also the glass wall that could be pulled across to separate the balcony from the room as preferred. Bathroom was a good size with enough places to store things. Shower was big with good water pressure, and a light show!

I posted my trip review on this forum, just search on my screen name. I also posted a review in the review section. The only thing that we didn't really like (how everyone in the dining room was served on unison) I believe has changed. Everything else about the river cruise was very nice.

Has anyone done a scenic reiver cruise? Amsterdam to Budapest.

Please give reviews here

Hi, did Amsterdam to Budapest April/may this year. Great trip and highly recommend. We were in the cheapest suite (no balcony and only a small window) but that wasn't really an issue for us. Service was good, all inclusive excursions, enrich tours, food, facilities all great. Will do another one some time, maybe Asia.