Traveling next March on the Dream. Need lots of cash ?

Mommawo

We take around $500 in cash but often does not spend it since we use a credit card for the onboard account and do not spend a lot in ports.

Debt Master Cards have the same protection as the credit cards. Unfortunately, we verified this when $1200 bogus charges appeared on my wife's card. The bank promptly removed this. Even with this we too care cautious about using our debt cards.

Like others, I mostly take cash for tips and shopping in ports. If I had to pay for excursions in cash then I'd know in advance how much I needed to bring.

So I typically bring about $100 in 1's & 5's, then another $100 in 10's & 20's. I almost always come home with cash. Last 2 cruises I actually cashed out my S&S account on the last night (unused OBC & Cruise Cash balance) and came home with more than I left with!

My advice is do not use your debit card in ports or to cover your sail and sign account.

Because when they convert dollars to Mexican currency your cost may be much more than you thought.

And because there will be a hold put on your bank account for the sign and sail account and it could cause you many problems.

I have used my debt card for the cruise account with no problems but in general we use the Carnival credit card since it is better to travel with someone else's money and settle up at home.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I have never done this. I remember when I was child and the VISA commercials announcing they were for world wide travel.

It depends on your card and use history. Infrequent travelers will trigger an alert if they all of a sudden use a card thousands a mile from home .

It’s a good idea to let your credit card company know you are traveling. We had never done this, then went on an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago and a week in Portland after. Day after we checked in, I got a call from hotel-my card was frozen. No big deal to straighten out. But now I call and let them know.

Depends on your credit card company. I live in Florida and my card was refused in Georgia since it was "out of my home area." So, it doesn't have to be thousands of miles from home. After that, we always notify credit card company when/where we'll be traveling even if we don't anticipate using it.